SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Helmets Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 01-05-07, 02:44 PM   #1
G
Mega Poster

Default Shoei XR1000 Review

I recently purchased on of these for a reasonable price.

Prior to buying this helmet i had only ever worn Tackahci and Nitro helmets.

I must say that by far the shoei is the best fitting and most comfortable i have worn to date.

I also wear glasses and have no problems doing so with the shoei, where as with both other brands i had a real bother getting my glasses on when wearing a helmet of the correct size.

The features of the helmet are pretty vast from what i was used to, with various visor setting and different vents.

Some people i hear commenting on this helmet mention that there is no proper place to put the remainder of the strap once tightened, infact i have even read this in proper magazine articles.......The fact is the clip on the strap is not supposed to clip onto the double D rings, but is infact meant to follow the strap up the left hand side of your face and into a fabric pouch just big enough to get your finger in, up there is a clip which you can hear engage with the slip on the end of the trap.

My only problems with the helmet are that it does have a tendency to mist up although i do not have the pinlock attached yet.

The other problem is the NOISE, christ its loud compared to other helmets i have worn, its made me contemplate ear plugs.

Aswell as the loudness, there is also at certain angles a tendency for vents to whistle, this is incredibly annoying as iam the type to listen out for any unusual noises from the bike itself.

Overall i would recommend one. It looks damn cool, and its comfort is superior.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 03:47 PM   #2
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Default Re: Shoei XR1000 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by graemepaterson View Post
Some people i hear commenting on this helmet mention that there is no proper place to put the remainder of the strap once tightened, infact i have even read this in proper magazine articles.......The fact is the clip on the strap is not supposed to clip onto the double D rings, but is infact meant to follow the strap up the left hand side of your face and into a fabric pouch just big enough to get your finger in, up there is a clip which you can hear engage with the slip on the end of the trap.
No, that clip is ment to clip on to the D rings. Look at http://media7.big7.net/shoei-europe/.../allgemein.pdf on page 6.

Quote:
My only problems with the helmet are that it does have a tendency to mist up although i do not have the pinlock attached yet.
put the pinlock in then it wont mist anymore

Quote:
The other problem is the NOISE, christ its loud compared to other helmets i have worn, its made me contemplate ear plugs.
It seems its because there is no padding in the ear recesses unlike some helmets, not a big issue, i also found that it can be made louder when waring glases as it opens up a little vent down the side of your face.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 04:23 PM   #3
Jdubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM View Post
No, that clip is ment to clip on to the D rings. Look at http://media7.big7.net/shoei-europe/.../allgemein.pdf on page 6.

put the pinlock in then it wont mist anymore

It seems its because there is no padding in the ear recesses unlike some helmets, not a big issue, i also found that it can be made louder when waring glases as it opens up a little vent down the side of your face.

Totally agree...
My sunglasses and reading glasses are fine underneath the lid. As far as the misting goes, put the pinlock in...

As for the noise, well I just use plugs anyway.

Oh and the clip does clip onto the d-rings. Ignore what others tell you
Old 02-05-07, 07:49 AM   #4
G
Mega Poster

Not according to the instructions i got mine couldnt clip to the d rings if i tried....and it slips into that pocket on the left of the helmet and clips perfect, i was confused by it until i went back to the shop for the instructions and got told by the guy.

This is an 07 helmet potentially they have changed them then?
Old 02-05-07, 07:51 AM   #5
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Take a photo of the end of the strap and we can see what it has.

Sounds odd as no other manuf does it like that as its fiddly when you have gloves on and seems to not offer enough resistance to wind blast pulling the strap out of the holder.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-07, 07:54 AM   #6
G
Mega Poster

Bizzare, just looked at the document and it certainlly makes sense, i will try it when i get home.

The up the pouch at the side method definately works though and clips very securely and easily .

I assumed it clipped onto the D ring intially but couldnt make it work, hence why i went back to the store lol

Last edited by G; 02-05-07 at 08:04 AM.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 09:34 AM   #7
G
Mega Poster

Ahh your right enough, clips onto the double D rings easy enough, much easier to pop it in the little pouch bit mind.