SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-06-19, 06:19 PM   #7391
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamSV View Post
I get the temptation to do that, especially when it costs to cancel or kills off a years no claims, but you did the right thing by cancelling.

If the new owner doesn’t arrange cover, your insurer could be forced to pay a claim as the closest insurer. Your insurer could then potentially seek to recover their costs from you personally.

I’ve never heard of it actually being done in your circumstances but the possibility is there.
It has happened before;

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/s...-after-4141840

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-19, 06:26 PM   #7392
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokohama View Post
Hastings were (unexpectedly I must admit) great with me when I switched from my SV to the XSR. They compared costs of cancelling the policy and starting a new one against amending my existing policy. First option worked out cheaper so they cancelled the policy, credited the outstanding to the new policy and waived any fees as I was renewing with them. All i lost was 3 months no claims

I was hoping of an offer of something like that from Bennetts. But they didn't seem to want to help. All done by the computer.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-19, 06:29 PM   #7393
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjob View Post

That's horrific. The whole situation and the circumstances that led to it too.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-19, 06:51 PM   #7394
TamSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
That's horrific. The whole situation and the circumstances that led to it too.

It would have been a worry but I suspect it was probably OK in the end. It was a genuine case by the sounds of it (although that article is full of errors). I can’t see an insurer pursuing it even if they couldn’t get themselves off the hook.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-19, 09:45 PM   #7395
Heorot

Not cancelling can be a pain to a claims handler. I had to handle claims where I needed to chase a third party for costs only to find two valid policies. Hours on the phone listening to the Four Seasons.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-19, 02:52 PM   #7396
maviczap
Mega Poster

Sometimes I wish I wasn't so dedicated to my work, let the others do their fair share for a change
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-19, 06:21 PM   #7397
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Sometimes I wish I wasn't so dedicated to my work, let the others do their fair share for a change
Know the feeling Mav. There are several other contractors at my current client and most of them do the bare minimum and expect to be guided all the time. Not what contractors are meant to do! When one left last week and I inherited parts of his job the first thing I did was scrap all his files and semi-automate it all, sending a note to the client asking if the enclosed simplified report layout with straight forward/obvious labelling and improved commentary would be acceptable to them a day earlier at month end. The happy answer was not surprising. He should ave done that six months ago instead of blindly following the half finished rubbish he was given on day 1 and bleating about it every month...
Old 24-06-19, 07:41 AM   #7398
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SVS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokohama View Post
Hastings were (unexpectedly I must admit) great with me when I switched from my SV to the XSR. They compared costs of cancelling the policy and starting a new one against amending my existing policy. First option worked out cheaper so they cancelled the policy, credited the outstanding to the new policy and waived any fees as I was renewing with them. All i lost was 3 months no claims
A cautionary tale re Hastings. They were only £2 more expensive than my best quote, so I did not cancel the auto renew as not worth the effort of setting up a new policy.

Step forward 3 months and I get a letter from the DVLA telling me it is an offence to have an uninsured vehicle. What ... it auto renewed. Off for an online check with the AskMID and I show up uninsured. So start going through my email and cannot find the renewal confirmation so phone Hastings.

Strange Mr Wilkinson, we confirm that you did not cancel, but for some reason we did not renew the policy, would you like to do it now? BTW it is £15 cheaper than we quoted. Of course do it.

I then asked what would have happened if I had had a claim, "We would have honored it as it was our fault", like hell I thought. Like they would have told the coppers should I have flagged an ANPR. Of course it is the policy holder responsibility to check. But when you know it should automatically happen, you get complacent. I now check all renews.
Old 25-06-19, 01:37 AM   #7399
BanannaMan

Got an abscessed tooth.
Been a bit sore today but didn't think much of it, just looked in the mirror and the whole side of my face is swollen.
I look deformed. LOL
Guess I'll be trying to get in to see the dentist in the morning.
Not my favorite thing.

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"

BanannaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-19, 07:03 AM   #7400
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanannaMan View Post
Got an abscessed tooth.
Been a bit sore today but didn't think much of it, just looked in the mirror and the whole side of my face is swollen.
I look deformed. LOL
Guess I'll be trying to get in to see the dentist in the morning.
Not my favorite thing.
That sounds nasty Bill. Hope the dentist sorts it quickly for you. Course of antibiotics coming up I guess.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote