SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-02-09, 04:47 PM   #1
Bill.Cross

Default Quick shift

I find that shifting up in higher gears at mid to high revs without de-clutching is very slick but I wonder if it abuses the gear box. Anyone have an idea about this - am I going to break something or wear it out quickly?
Old 28-02-09, 04:53 PM   #2
Alpinestarhero

Default Re: Quick shift

This topic has been discussed quite a bit (but that dosn't mean we shouldnt discuss it again ). As long as you take the load off the gearbox by throttling off when you shift up, I dont beleive there is a problem. I prefer to always use the clutch, but thats just me. I can get pretty quick shifts by just about disengaging the clutch and snicking the gear home.

Shifting down the gearbox is another matter all together...
Old 28-02-09, 05:54 PM   #3
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
Shifting down the gearbox is another matter all together...
Although is a useful tool to have in the arsenal in case your clutch cable snaps etc.

In the past, I used to go up & down the gearbox without the clutch. I'm not about to advise that anyone else do either, but it's certainly possible.
Old 28-02-09, 05:59 PM   #4
Nicky S
Mega Poster

iv herd about this but never had the balls to do it

Nicky S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-09, 07:33 PM   #5
Bill.Cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky S View Post
iv herd about this but never had the balls to do it
Nothing ballsy about it. Put pressure under the gear level just before you want to change up. Then very quickly close the throttle and open it again. You don't need to shut the throttle, only close it enough to unload the gearbox. If you do it too much and too slowly, the bike dives a bit under engine braking. It's easy to get the hang of.

I went to BSB at Croft last year - the first time I've ever been to watch motor sport. The noise is part of the atmosphere obviously. Those bikes have electronic quick shifters as you probably know. As they shift up, the electronics cuts the spark to unload the gearbox. As a result, a charge of unburned gas goes down the pipe to explode in the heat there. So you hear these pistol shot noises as they change up going down the straight.

Sad, I know, but I like it.
Old 01-03-09, 10:20 AM   #6
BILLY

I up shift my motocross bike without the clutch and i doesn't do any harm! i only use the clutch for setting off and down shifts!
Old 01-03-09, 10:31 AM   #7
cymroboi

i used to do the same with the cr 125 i used to have but 1 day i managed to litrely blow the gbox up by forcing it into gear ,that why ill never change gear without using the clutch, for the sake of a second or two its cheaper than having to strip down the box in my opinion any way
Old 01-03-09, 11:28 AM   #8
flymo
Mega Poster

this is exactly what a race quick shifter does, as fitted to every World Superbike, MotoGP and many others.

Only difference is that it does this electronically using a pressure sensetive switch built into the gear shift linkage. The moment that you attempt to move the lever it kills the ignition for a predetermined duration taking the load off the gearbox.

As long as you are not clumsy with it, after a bit of practice it is pretty easy to do on upshifts. Continue to use the clutch on downshifts though or you'll lock your rear wheel into a slide if you're not careful or maybe even over rev the engine to the point of breaking it.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 11:37 AM   #9
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymo View Post
As long as you are not clumsy with it, after a bit of practice it is pretty easy to do on upshifts. Continue to use the clutch on downshifts though or you'll lock your rear wheel into a slide if you're not careful or maybe even over rev the engine to the point of breaking it.
Whilst good theory, in practice you can change down the box without either locking the rear or blowing the engine/gearbox up. Again, I wouldn't advise anyone to do it though, purely because of the risks involved.

I still change down the box without the clutch from time to time... but I accept the risks associated.
Old 01-03-09, 04:51 PM   #10
svdemon

As long as the revs are right it doesn't hurt the gearbox. Its all about getting a feel for when to shift it in time with closing the throttle.