SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-11-05, 10:09 AM   #1
localhost

Default Frozen bike

My bike didn't start this morning.
It was covered in frost and looked quite misserable where it stood.
I put full choke on and tried to start it, but it was futile.
My battery ran out after a while and left me one our late for work and quite angry with the world.

Does anyone have any advice how to avoid this?
I don't have a garage, and i will do my best to jumpstart the bike when i get back home to charge up the battery.

How can i prevent this from happening again?
Old 21-11-05, 10:17 AM   #2
JakeRS

did you have it covered up? mine was and it starts fine every cold morning so far, albeit with ice on the seat occasionally ...
Old 21-11-05, 10:31 AM   #3
localhost

Hmm, thats an idea perhaps.
I should get one of thouse covers then.
Excelent!
Old 21-11-05, 10:31 AM   #4
Kate

Mine was frozen this morning too, my screen didn't even defrost by the time I got to work about an hour later either.

I didn't have any trouble starting the bike, though my seat was rather crunchy. I am going to start to use the bike cover I have I think.

I really need to remember to put the damn liner back in my trousers.
Old 21-11-05, 10:31 AM   #5
Ping

Defo cover it up, I hadn't covered mine last week and it wouldn't start. The morning after I HAD put the cover on, it started first time.

Old 21-11-05, 10:38 AM   #6
mysteryjimbo

The joys of having a garage......
Old 21-11-05, 10:46 AM   #7
hall13uk

a cover is defo a must in this weather, i don't have a cover at this time & can't really afford one till the end of the month so i put an old bed sheet over her (double bed size) . works really well, no ice on the bike what so ever & it started striaght up might not even buy a cover now
Old 21-11-05, 10:52 AM   #8
mysteryjimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hall13uk
a cover is defo a must in this weather, i don't have a cover at this time & can't really afford one till the end of the month so i put an old bed sheet over her (double bed size) . works really well, no ice on the bike what so ever & it started striaght up might not even buy a cover now
Till it gets wet then freezes solid! You could take the cover off and stand it on its own and people will still think you're at home.

It doesnt hurt to have an old sheet or blanket over the bike under a cover either. It helps keep the wind chill off.

I had a problem of none starting with the SV in my old house. The drive used to funnel the wind down it like a wind tunnel so the windchill on the bike made it impossible to start the next morning until the air temperture and warmed a little.
Old 21-11-05, 11:03 AM   #9
localhost

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryjimbo
I had a problem of none starting with the SV in my old house. The drive used to funnel the wind down it like a wind tunnel so the windchill on the bike made it impossible to start the next morning until the air temperture and warmed a little.
That seems to be the same problem i have. I will go to the closest bikeshop and pick up a cover and put a sheet over it as well.

thanks for all the advice!

How long do you guys reckon we will be able to ride the streets of london before it's to icy?
This is my first winter with a bike so i don't know any of this
Old 21-11-05, 11:15 AM   #10
The Basket

Yes a Bike cover is an excellent idea. Odd that you hadn't thought of it before. Careful with that hot exhaust. A good battery is worth every penny.

Choke? Carb icing? Oh how very 20th Century!

K5, see