SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-02-20, 02:33 PM   #7911
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

I wrote to my local MP, Martin Vickers, to complain (about the roads) who informed me that it was the local council's responsibility. I told him I aware of that fact but central government had cut (NE Lincolnshire's) council funding by £60 million since 2010 (that was in 2018 - there have been further cuts since).
He hasn't responded to that fact. (He may still be upset because I told him he was too old and should retire).

What changed is that the Conservatives have allowed local councils to increase the charges on the rates thus transferring the costs to local people.
Old 12-02-20, 03:26 PM   #7912
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Get off the main roads, see the difference! I go to Macclesfield regularly and the roads in general are better than the non-main roads around here. A favourite biking road is the B5105, bloody dangerous for bikes these days due to pot holes. The road to Macc from Knutsford is bad after rain I'll grant you but I find them less pot-holey in general.

YMMV.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-20, 08:56 PM   #7913
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
A favourite biking road is the B5105, bloody dangerous for bikes these days due to pot holes.
Haven't been that way to Ruthin since last summer, I must admit. I do love the B4501 past Llyn Brenig up to the A543 that loops up to Denbigh and round to Mold.

If you find yourself in Macc and fancy a coffee, I'm buying.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-20, 03:44 PM   #7914
Chris_SVS

Genuinely considering selling my bike, costing me £225mo to sit in the shed looking pretty. I dearly love it and would miss it having put a lot of money into speccing it up nearer the more expensive GT model (namely cruise control + hard luggage)

I bought it at the wrong time, paid for before a job interview I knew I'd get(interview was just formality) and collected 2 days before starting, 17mi e/w commute down to a 20min walk.

I'm torn on what to do, I'm early in the process of a first time buyer ISA to get onto property ladder so could divert £ but also purchase something cheaper and owned outright (I do own the Tracer,just on a bank loan that I could almost clear with decent money from the sale)

*It hasn't left the shed since 29th December
Chris_SVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-20, 04:00 PM   #7915
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SVS View Post
Genuinely considering selling my bike, costing me £225mo to sit in the shed looking pretty. I dearly love it and would miss it having put a lot of money into speccing it up nearer the more expensive GT model (namely cruise control + hard luggage)

I bought it at the wrong time, paid for before a job interview I knew I'd get(interview was just formality) and collected 2 days before starting, 17mi e/w commute down to a 20min walk.

I'm torn on what to do, I'm early in the process of a first time buyer ISA to get onto property ladder so could divert £ but also purchase something cheaper and owned outright (I do own the Tracer,just on a bank loan that I could almost clear with decent money from the sale)

*It hasn't left the shed since 29th December
Much the same with my bike but then it's worth far less than yours so less of my money tied up.

I see biking as a leisure pursuit these days, so given what my bike is worth against the pleasure it gives (when the weather permits) I'm happy enough.

You can apply the same argument against boats and caravans, they cost a fortune and how much do they actually get used?

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Old 14-02-20, 04:05 PM   #7916
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:
It hasn't left the shed since 29th December
Quite right. This is not a time to be riding. Wait till summer when you see all the other bikes out and you will be glad you kept it
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-20, 04:43 PM   #7917
Chris_SVS

I have my eye on trail bikes to keep some interest
Old 14-02-20, 08:01 PM   #7918
yokohama

My bike hasn't been out since mid-September but like admin says, it's more of a hobby/leisure tool and worth it for the enjoyment it gives me 6 months a year.
Even so, having a car is a worse deal. I need one for the occasions it's necessary but use it less than the bike. Did 800 miles in the car last year and 3,600 on the bike.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-20, 08:10 PM   #7919
Chris_SVS

Struggling with it costing me £900 over 4 months, when it's moved maybe 100miles.. Ok it's been wintery and even though it's lovingly coated in acf50, I have tried to be sensible about riding days. Just through general fear of binning it
Old 14-02-20, 08:21 PM   #7920
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
I have my eye on trail bikes to keep some interest
I quite fancy a small simple bike for hacking about in the winter.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk