SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-02-09, 12:15 PM   #1
Mej
Mega Poster

Default California Superbike School?

I want to do my Level 1 in May or June this year, but cause im on the 33bhp licence i obviosuly have to ride my own bike.

I was wondering what the deal is with insurance and stuff like that, what happens if i crash, hopefully I wont but you never know?

Has anyone else been to the school, I have only heard good reviews about the place and apparently the cornering skills you learn are invaluable?

Apart from that im really looking forward to it.

Last edited by Mej; 13-02-09 at 12:29 PM.
Mej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-09, 12:37 PM   #2
gettin2dizzy

Default Re: California Superbike School????

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2UK View Post
I want to do my Level 1 in May or June this year, but cause im on the 33bhp licence i obviosuly have to ride my own bike.

I was wondering what the deal is with insurance and stuff like that, what happens if i crash, hopefully I wont but you never know?

Has anyone else been to the school, I have only heard good reviews about the place and apparently the cornering skills you learn are invaluable?

Apart from that im really looking forward to it.
I went and thoroughly enjoyed it. All of the techniques are widely available to read on the internet, but the school provides the perfect scenario to try it all. For instance driving around the circuit in one gear, no brakes, just getting in to the rhythm. Something I'd be uneasy to do on a track day.

If you ride your bike (I would) then your insurance won't cover you unfortunately. But people coming off seems pretty rare, so just be careful!

Book it early as the summer dates disappear quickly, and don't try to ride a long distance there on the day. I got a hotel room next door for £19.

Drop me a PM or message on here if you have more questions about it
Old 13-02-09, 12:42 PM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Why do you have to ride your own bike? You don't need a license if you're not on the road.
Old 13-02-09, 12:53 PM   #4
Mej
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
I went and thoroughly enjoyed it. All of the techniques are widely available to read on the internet, but the school provides the perfect scenario to try it all. For instance driving around the circuit in one gear, no brakes, just getting in to the rhythm. Something I'd be uneasy to do on a track day.

If you ride your bike (I would) then your insurance won't cover you unfortunately. But people coming off seems pretty rare, so just be careful!

Book it early as the summer dates disappear quickly, and don't try to ride a long distance there on the day. I got a hotel room next door for £19.

Drop me a PM or message on here if you have more questions about it [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ADMINI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
Cheers, yeah after reading the info they gave me I am think I think i would prefer to ride my bike anyway as its obviously the one I will be riding all the time.

Just crossed my mind about crashing that was all, surely loads of people go there and do it without insurance so it must be alright.

I’m going to try and book it at the end of the month, it’s pretty pricey though, do you have to pay all at once?

Which track did you do, as I’m I think I’m going to try go up to Silverstone which is about 2.5hrs from me as apparently you can do more stuff in the paddock area compared to Brands. I do think it would be good to do the Track evening at Brands though, so might try and get up there for my level 2 and do that at the same time.

I will probably stay over in a Travelodge for £30.

Cheers

Old 13-02-09, 12:54 PM   #5
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Dunno but I presume it's to do with their hire agreement.

I did level 1 last year, am doing level 2 at Rockingham this year on 6th July. No cover if you fall off but unlike a track day you're not riding close to 100% - if you did you wouldn't learn anything. In fact most of the day you're not allowed to use the brakes. Level 1 seems to cover Noddy stuff but the group then went on to prove that most of them were doing most of it wrong, or at the very least had a poor understanding of what they do. Expensive but highly recommended.

Dunno about the Southern circut but Stowe is about 5 bends, rubbish for a track day but TBH fine for level 1 as you're concentrating on bike control not learning a track and going fast. The first bend is like ice if it's wet though. Never mind aTravelodge, stay here www.theoldpostcottage.co.uk Rockingham is a great track but if you're a newbie I'd stick with Stowe as it's your technique that should be filling your thoughts.

Last edited by johnnyrod; 13-02-09 at 12:58 PM. Reason: more info
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-09, 12:55 PM   #6
Mej
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Why do you have to ride your own bike? You don't need a license if you're not on the road.
They wont let you ride without a licence i dont think, i emailed them and they said i would have to use my own bike because of the restriction.

Old 13-02-09, 12:56 PM   #7
Mej
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
Dunno but I presume it's to do with their hire agreement.

I did level 1 last year, am doing level 2 at Rockingham this year on 6th July. No cover if you fall off but unlike a track day you're not riding close to 100% - if you did you wouldn't learn anything. In fact most of the day you're not allowed to use the brakes. Level 1 seems to cover Noddy stuff but the group then went on to prove that most of them were doing most of it wrong, or at the very least had a poor understanding of what they do. Expensive but highly recommended.
I thought that might be the case with level 1, basics first kind of thing. Might try and do Level 2 straight after, or month after if i can get the cash.

Old 13-02-09, 01:00 PM   #8
gettin2dizzy

Quote:

I’m going to try and book it at the end of the month, it’s pretty pricey though, do you have to pay all at once?
Yup! All on one giant go!
Quote:
I thought that might be the case with level 1, basics first kind of thing. Might try and do Level 2 straight after, or month after if i can get the cash.
I wouldn't bother. You'll need a fair few trackdays just to get course 1 in your head properly. Save your cash and just do a trackday.

I did Rockingham, and it's a great track!
Old 13-02-09, 01:07 PM   #9
Mej
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
Yup! All on one giant go!

I wouldn't bother. You'll need a fair few trackdays just to get course 1 in your head properly. Save your cash and just do a trackday.

I did Rockingham, and it's a great track!
Cool, i stick with that then.

Rockingham is 3.5 hrs from me. I have always wanted to go to silverstone as well so i think i will probably go there.

Old 13-02-09, 01:10 PM   #10
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I agree with G2D, you need time to consolidate what you learn. For me I went to a track day at the Rock a few weeks later. You can practise on the roads but there are too many things to distract you. The "quick steering" drill (countersteering) is usually the people get the most out of, from a bit of an improvement to a Saul on the road to Damascus moment. Either way you need time for it to sink in, it could mean a significant change in your riding style.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote