SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-03-08, 05:20 PM   #1
shonadoll

Default Is there a way to adjust the clutch lever?added pictures

On the sv? Mines a K7 pointy, and has adjusters on the brake but not on the clutch. It's ok for the first half hour or so, but my hand is getting really sore on longer rides, and it becomes really difficult to let the clutch out smoothly.

I do have quite small ladyhands, but why did they give an adjuster on the brake and not the clutch?

Any ideas?

Last edited by shonadoll; 12-04-08 at 07:39 PM.
Old 16-03-08, 05:24 PM   #2
mattb200

Default Re: Is there a way to adjust the clutch lever?

I know what you mean, i used to get really aching hand especially as I don't ride through the week to "train" the muscles.

Anyway you will be be amazed at the difference simply adjusting the angle of the lever can make! I angled mine so that my arm/wrist is straight as opposed to my standard setup where they were'nt.
I was tempted to get one of the pazzo adjustable levers but at ?70 pound a time this is much cheaper (and works for me).

hope this helps
Matt
Old 16-03-08, 05:30 PM   #3
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Slacken the cable adjustment a bit, as long as the clutch still lifts sufficiently in order to disconnect the drive it will be fine. An adjustable lever does the same thing, it puts the lever closer to the 'bar: the less the lever moves the less the cable is pulled, as long as it's enough it's OK.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-08, 06:07 PM   #4
Dangerous Dave

There is a Kawaski lever that will fit the SV's clutch lever mounting that comes with an adjuster like the Brake has, can't remember which one but someone on here has done it.
Old 16-03-08, 06:08 PM   #5
Lozzo

An adjustable GPZ500 one can be made to fit - there's something linked from the front page that tells how to do it.
Old 16-03-08, 06:52 PM   #6
shonadoll

Ok, will have a look, thankyou. I'm looking at the pazzo ones- are they adjustable or just a smaller reach?
Old 16-03-08, 06:56 PM   #7
Dangerous Dave

I know some of the clutch levers you get from them are adjustable;
Old 16-03-08, 11:20 PM   #8
St0rmer66

Got a Kawasaki GPZ500 one fitted to mine. My old bike was a GPZ so it just happened to be right next to it! Straight swap over apart from having to short the switch which used to make the clutch lever have to be pulled in before starting. The lever on the GPZ was black, so I got a ZX6R clutch mechanism and used the silver lever from that on my SV (the other clutch mech. went onto the GPZ to replace the one I took off).

Any Kawasaki bike from around 98-02 will be exactly the same clutch mechanism so don't feel it has to be a GPZ one. As a small list, ZX6R, ZX9R, ER-5 and GPZ500 will all fit perfectly and I'm sure there will be others. Just try get a silver lever if possible is my advice . I paid around ?15+P&P from eBay. Pazzo levers like pictured above are closer to ?100 if I remember correctly..

After my first long ride on the SV my wrists ached for about 2 weeks! (and twinges for around a month). Wasn't used to it at all. My hands are actually very big, but pulling the clutch in became PAINFUL after around 150-ish miles. I have the new mechanism adjusted to 5 (as close to the bar as possible) and it's now sooo much easier. Means I can ride in comfort.

Last edited by St0rmer66; 16-03-08 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-04-08, 07:30 PM   #9
shonadoll

Just an update in case this helps anyone else- I ordered and fitted a set of Pazzo levers, and what a difference. OH fitted them and said it was a piece of cake, and took 15 minutes. I've been out on the bike and it's fabulous the difference, worth every penny, and no more sore hands!
Old 12-04-08, 07:37 PM   #10
shonadoll

Here's a picture of them fitted in case it helps anyone.