SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-09-14, 12:06 AM   #311
bombus

Default Re: TPS Adjustment Step-by-Step Pictorial Guide

Came across this by chance and decided to have a go on sv06 I've had since new. Idle was pretty close and when I stuck the paper clip in the slot the bar was already at the top. A clockwise tap perceivable but less than 1mm put the bar in the middle. It moved to the top just under 1500rpm so all good. Haven't been out on it yet but not expecting any change. Thanks for the easy to follow guide. Bit of luck that I happened to have a t25 screwdriver head!
Old 06-10-14, 08:07 AM   #312
Corny Gizmo

Finally got round to doing this adjustment, bit of helpful info for all K7+ owners...

- The TPS is only held on by one screw
- The Idle screw is non existant, stop looking for it The idle is adjusted automatically

I found mine to be moving the line at around 4200 RPM, I have heard (on the svrider forum) that they are set to 3500 from factory to pass emissions, I dont know if this is true.

Did the adjustment down to around 1800 RPM, went for a ride, the change isnt massive but its noticeable. I noticed the smoother acceleration more than the small decrease in engine braking. One thing I'm very happy about is the fact that when I used to go down a bumpy road I would put more revs on the bike as my wrist moved ever so slightly, this problem is now resolved and the bike is a lot more predictable.
Old 06-10-14, 02:37 PM   #313
Bibio
Mega Poster

you have to get it set under 1800 to make a difference. as i have said set it so its just off throttle at around 1300 and all will be well.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-14, 02:56 PM   #314
Corny Gizmo

I plan too mate but it took me 15 mins to do it yesterday and I felt a bit sorry for the neighbours, ill have another go next weekend
Old 27-10-14, 08:23 AM   #315
Stepmg8255

I managed to adjust the TPS yesterday without any problems. Anyone that has any concerns about doing this, rest assured it is very easy to do. I have no motorbike knowledge or a mechanical bone in my body!!!
I had purchased replacement screws for the 'cheese bolts' but did not require them. Purchased a T25 security torx screwdriver and that did the trick, was tricky getting it into the bottom bolt and it wasn't seated properly but no problems encountered.
The most difficult part is making tiny adjustments to the TPS and then deciding when to quit once your happy with the rpm.
Old 27-10-14, 08:50 AM   #316
Corny Gizmo

To everyone who has done this on a K7+: Have you had any issues of low idle when slowing down (I.E clutch in, in gear) Mine bearly ticks over at 1000 sometimes but is fine in neutral (I suspect its to do with the different map thats active when the clutch is pulled in.)

Might re-do my adjustment and see if I can get it to idle higher.
Old 28-10-14, 02:29 AM   #317
Bibio
Mega Poster

K7+ SV650 has twin spark e.g. 2 spark plugs per cylinder = 4 spark plugs in total anything other that this you follow post #2 in this thread. (** see bottom part of post)

twin spark SV650 owners are slightly different in that the bike has an auto idle function and the TPS only has one bolt but method is the same otherwise.

problems twin spark owners might encounter.
if the TPS is out of range the bike might idle low so check your line position again.

make sure that the bike is at working temp when setting the TPS.

make sure that no hoses have come loose or you have trapped the fuel hose or any other hoses.

sit on bike and start it up, pull clutch in and select first gear, while in gear and clutch is in put the sidestand down. does the bike cut out? if yes then fine, if no then you have a broken sidestand switch.

sit on bike with gear in neutral and dont pull clutch in then try and start bike. does the bike start? if yes then you have a broken or miss adjusted clutch switch, if no then fine.

** when making the adjustment the line must be just off top position to middle. how i do it is when bike is working temp i set the line to just moving to the top at idle then i tighten the bolt so the line just moves to middle when bolt is tightened. doing this makes the TPS set at just on throttle, to check turn throttle and the line will move to the top straight away but when you let the throttle go the line returns to the middle.

i have been using the above method for 20,000 miles and have had no problems, bike has very smooth throttle action and much easier to ride.

(((( do not under any circumstances try and adjust the top sensor or your in trouble ))))

(((( do not under any circumstances mess with the screws that control the linkages ))))

(((( you cant balance the throttle bodies on the twin spark SV650 without the special diagnostics tool as you have to lock the auto idle to adjust the vacuum ))))
Old 20-04-15, 05:03 PM   #318
willf

My K8 idles (once warm) at around 1500 rpm... it feels a little fast, but not sure if it's worth doing anything about? From my understanding of this thread, my only option is to calibrate TPS to adjust idle? Is this right? Thanks in advance...
Old 20-04-15, 05:48 PM   #319
AZ Pete

If like my K6 there should be an idle adjust screw on the left side of the bike. This is indipendant of the TPS adjustment.
Old 20-04-15, 06:20 PM   #320
Bibio
Mega Poster

on a K8 you cant do anything about the idle as its auto. even to balance the TB's you need a special diagnostic tool. if a twin spark K7> is ticking over fast then something is up. as far as i know adjusting the TPS does not raise the idle speed unless its a single spark K7<