SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-09-08, 08:47 AM   #1
Gra

Default Who works late/night shifts?

I ask as I have the opportunity to change my shift pattern. I currently work normal day hours, but I could change so that I would be finishing work at midnight rather than half four.

Anybody on here not have evenings due to work? Does it peev you off?
Old 01-09-08, 08:56 AM   #2
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Who works late/night shifts?

I have no weekends, as I'm at work. 12 hour shifts that rotate each week. Days one week, then 3 nights the other. It TBH is really starting to bug me. Not only is it interfering with my family(nasty mood swings from exhaustion) but it means I am up practically 24 hours on a friday, and 24 on monday. This is because i have to take kid to school, and try get a couple of hrs in monday to pick him up...single parent life!
Wish i could change it, but circumstances don't allow. Nobody goes out during the week, cause they all are either at work or working. ANd i miss out on so many rideouts

but it does mean I am off in school holidays and around if my son is ill at school and other things, which is the better side...plus get to do things midweek cause I get between 4 and 5 days off

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 09:32 AM   #3
tigersaw
Mega Poster

I've worked various patterns for 25 years, some good, some awful.
Midnight is pretty late to be finishing a shift, by the time you are home, rested etc it will be 2 or 3 before you go to bed, and concequently late morning before you get up again. I assume it would be worth your while either financially or by getting extra time off, else you'd be a muppet to volunteer for free.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 09:34 AM   #4
Gra

The only reason I am contemplating it is that it does pay a bit more. Not a massive amount extra each month but the cost of living for me at the moment is rather expensive. High rent and insane council tax are the killers. Needs must I suppose.
Old 01-09-08, 09:40 AM   #5
Foxy

I have worked shifts before and found that it took a toll on my family life. I would not go back to it again. I much prefer working Mon-Fri day time hours leaving evenings and weekends free.

If your change provides you substantial financial gain then it would make sense but if not then I would not really consider it, esp if your job role is still the same.
Old 01-09-08, 09:43 AM   #6
Gra

That's why it's such a big decision for me. It's not that much more at the end of the month. Just more is better in general.
Old 01-09-08, 09:52 AM   #7
Foxy

Think about what you like to do in the evenings, what commitments do you have at home? For those with families the quality time at home may be less or opportunities to go out on the bike in the summer evenings and that also the time to chill after a days work. If you came home late at night 11.30pm/12pm, as advised earlier, it would take a while to wind down from the day.

Weigh up the things that you will miss especially as there is not a great deal of renumeration to sway you.
Old 01-09-08, 09:57 AM   #8
ThEGr33k

I work night shifts. 8-8... Sometimes it does get you down a little But I only work 2 every week so it isnt so bad all in.

What do you gain by doing these hours?
Old 01-09-08, 09:59 AM   #9
Gra

Apparently the shift is far more laid back. But money is the motivator really. Still have my normal weekends, only be finishing at midnight during the week.
Old 01-09-08, 10:00 AM   #10
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

I think the shift you are looking at 'witch' TBH would perhaps turn out worse than a nightshift...its a very odd time to be finishing work.I agree with tigersaw at sleep times, before long I'd imagine you feeling out of sorts. And if its not got much financial gain I personally would say no.

The only thing I see you gaining is a bad temper

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote