SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-12-16, 11:21 AM   #31
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Default Re: SV650s to Street Triple?

]Um as both the tiger and the Daytona were post 13 models maybe it's why I don't experience it.
Did 14k on the Daytona Liu and up to 8k on my 800xrx.

Last edited by NTECUK; 14-12-16 at 11:24 AM.
NTECUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-16, 10:33 PM   #32
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I went out on my SV today for the first time in a few weeks as weather looked vaguely dry and remembered how much I like it. I am tempted to try the cheaper option of bar conversion and see if that gives me the lighter steering I'm after instead of what looks like quite a lot more to upgrade to the Triumph or even the still relatively new SV.

I was thinking about the Triumph bar vibration comments though and kept an eye on what sort of revs I use cruising. Most of the ride today when I was doing steady speed over distance I seemed to only be about 4000rpm. Do people ride continually with higher revs? Would the Street Triple need constant higher revs to cover distances at a decent speed? I can't imagine it would need high revs to cruise at 60 to 70mph?

I've been using the 250 single I picked up a bit more recently as I'm less fussed about getting it mucky and that has reminded me what real bar vibrations are like! Even 40mph for half an hour has my hands tingling!
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-16, 11:25 PM   #33
Tomor
Mega Poster

For what its worth... I had a K4 SV650S and went to a 2012 Street R. Didn't test ride one, and bout it off the back of all the gleaming reviews. I love it. I have had it 3.5 years but it only did 350 miles between last MOT's I have put 12K on it, probably in a year and a half mainly pleasure, and ridden from hampshire/surrey border to plymouth and back in a day - that wasn't great fun I can tell you. But for hooning round the back lanes and 3 months for 25 miles each way commute it was brilliant.

Really comfy riding position, lovely smooth power delivery and super flickable in the corners. I loved it, but it will be going in spring as I have too many bikes and not enough time to ride them. Been riding more on track this year and I have to say I enjoy it a lot more!! Stick a set of aftermarket cans on them and they sound lovely.

If you are thinking of one, go and testride one. The new one isn't too dissimilar to the older one other than the first gear is not as aggressive on the new ones.
Old 16-12-16, 11:55 AM   #34
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I would deffo test ride the new AL7 as well, this will do three things, let you try the new engine ( a real peach) the more upright riding position and also effect on steering / handling of wider bars (which may help make a decision of the bars on your existing SV). With the higher bottom gear on the new Striple (and even the older ones except the 'R') the SV 0-60 times are on a par, as you would expect from similar torque figures. The striple has better standing quarter time ('where the extra ponies kick in) and bit higher top speed, which is of no consequence either on a naked bike, or in UK really if you want to keep you licence (and your vital signs LOL) - most difference on paper looks to be above 60 to 70 - then again who rides there regularly in the UK.

The fuel consumption on the new SV is also pretty amazing.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 17-12-16 at 11:52 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-16, 07:29 PM   #35
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
I went out on my SV today for the first time in a few weeks as weather looked vaguely dry and remembered how much I like it. I am tempted to try the cheaper option of bar conversion and see if that gives me the lighter steering I'm after instead of what looks like quite a lot more to upgrade to the Triumph or even the still relatively new SV.

I was thinking about the Triumph bar vibration comments though and kept an eye on what sort of revs I use cruising. Most of the ride today when I was doing steady speed over distance I seemed to only be about 4000rpm. Do people ride continually with higher revs? Would the Street Triple need constant higher revs to cover distances at a decent speed? I can't imagine it would need high revs to cruise at 60 to 70mph?

I've been using the 250 single I picked up a bit more recently as I'm less fussed about getting it mucky and that has reminded me what real bar vibrations are like! Even 40mph for half an hour has my hands tingling!
Quimjuicemonkey is selling a curvy bar conversion in the for sale section.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-16, 08:01 PM   #36
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Quimjuicemonkey is selling a curvy bar conversion in the for sale section.
Cheers, but mine is a pointy K8.

Also budget has just got slightly less as my "to do" list for the 250 I'm overhauling has grown slightly. Just noticed that the previous owner had fitted two front tyres, neither of which are any good, especially on the back. No idea why I didn't spot it!
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-16, 03:25 PM   #37
Mega Poster

I went from an SV650S to a 2010 Street Triple R in black and gold. The difference is obvious, you're going from a bargain basement bike to something that's had much more R&D and effort put into it.

However, the grass isn't always greener...

The suspension, no matter HOW many times you hear it from others, is incredibly cheap. It's skittish at best and leave a lot of confidence hanging out your **** unless you're on anything other than super smooth tarmac. Personally, the engine note, at first, made me grin - the induction is raspy, but wait until that horrid engine whine starts to get into your brain and it's like nails running down a chalk board.

The seat is utterly woeful. I had to buy a Sargent seat and this transformed the bike. I had the suspension tweaked for me and while it made a bit of difference, it's still a cheap set of internals on the fork and a rubbish, rubbish rear shock, whichever way you look at it. So maybe put another £700 aside to have the forks revalved and buy a Hyperpro or Maxton rear shock.

Exhaust wise, if you go for the older model then the underseat exhausts weigh a metric tonne, so buy a lowboy and it not only improves the look of the bike by a mile, but it saves weight and lowers the centre of gravity, which I found helped sharpen up the line the bike liked to take around corners.

To this

Which turned into this

Which turned into this

Last edited by 650; 22-12-16 at 03:27 PM.
650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-16, 04:13 PM   #38
Heorot

I test rode one last year. I liked it but couldn't have lived with the awful whine it made.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-16, 04:18 PM   #39
Mega Poster

Yeah, it sounds f'in awful. It's weird as my VFR750 has gear driven cams so it whines as well, but it's not remotely the same, the SV1000 has a whine to it as well...but again, much more likeable when coupled with that twin exhaust boom.

Another thing with the STR, the Arrow underseats with no baffle will drone like mad at about 3500rpm, which is where you spend most of your time on the bike unless you're wringing its neck. With the baffled in, it's only just a tad louder than the stock cans. The low boy I had (forgotten the brand TBH) was loud, I mean LOUD, it was actually quite rancid haha