SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 06-02-07, 10:21 AM   #1
Blue_SV650S

Default £400 fine with £60 costs

Not bad for killing a man ...

http://w3.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/...da685628be.lpf

I used to shop at Cambridge motorcycles all the time (until I moved out of the area) ...
Old 06-02-07, 10:23 AM   #2
Daimo

Deck me, i got that (and 6 points) for doing 114mph (meehhhaaa ha 131 peak) in the bloody corsa.....

Another hoooorarrrrr for this countrys system. What next, threats of prison for undertaking? Oh nope, thats already happening too.....
Old 06-02-07, 10:37 AM   #3
Grinch

I don't wish to put a spin on this, but from how I read it, it didn't really sound like her fault. But its difficult to tell from the story I need more facts.
Old 06-02-07, 10:38 AM   #4
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch
I don't wish to put a spin on this, but from how I read it, it didn't really sound like her fault. But its difficult to tell from the story I need more facts.
She did plead guilty, not just found guilty

I'm sorry ... but I have to say it ... WTF is this all about :-

"The effect of the tragedy on both the families involved was described in court, with all of Mr Anderson's family said to be frightened of using the roads."

Lawyers Lawyers Lawyers
Old 06-02-07, 11:19 AM   #5
Skip
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEN News
After turning right on to the B1089 to get round a small triangular island, she then attempted to turn right, back on to the B1086. But in doing so she pulled into the path of Mr Anderson, who was attempting to overtake her Volkswagen Passat.
Does sound like it was just an unfortunate accident, its not like she was trying to kill him!

Still, its hard for anyone to lose someone and blame will be portioned where it can...
Old 06-02-07, 11:23 AM   #6
Grinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch

I'm sorry ... but I have to say it ... WTF is this all about :-

"The effect of the tragedy on both the families involved was described in court, with all of Mr Anderson's family said to be frightened of using the roads."

Lawyers Lawyers Lawyers
She may have plead guilty, due to feeling guilty. I still feel that the whole thing is not just her fault, sure she may not have checked fully when turning, but I can't be sure. She stated she looked in her mirrors, now would you over take a car turning right. I know you should not turn right unless clear and indicating does not give you right of way. But the whole thing is unclear and misleading, there is no information about his speed at the time of impact. If he was going to fast it would have been hard for her to spot him, don't even know the layout of the road. Was he coming from the other direction?
As for frightened to use the roads? That is a odd statement.
Old 06-02-07, 11:26 AM   #7
Grinch

Quote:
After turning right on to the B1089 to get round a small triangular island, she then attempted to turn right, back on to the B1086. But in doing so she pulled into the path of Mr Anderson, who was attempting to overtake her Volkswagen Passat.
So he overtook a car at a junction... always risky.
Old 06-02-07, 11:27 AM   #8
tricky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S
Quite often defandants are advised by their legal counsel to plead guilty in order to get a sentencing "discount".
Old 06-02-07, 11:52 AM   #9
Blue_SV650S

I read into this that she turned at a junction ... got a little way down that road, then just did a random u-turn in the middle of a road (round an bollard/island) ... it was this random u-turn that caught the biker unawares* ... I don't think this was a simple 'junction' type accident?!?!

*I could re-read to check, but that was my first interpretation
Old 06-02-07, 12:19 PM   #10
gettin2dizzy

yeah i think your right. It did say it was an odd maneuver rather than an common crash. Besides - filtering at a junction would take a lot of speed to give her broken ribs too!

I liked what clarkson said on top gear last week about undertaking. 'if there was room for me to undertake then there was clearly enough room for them to move over out of my way' lane hoggers drive me mad! i thought it was illegal to hinder 'progress' on the roads. Surely thats what that is, and is a more clearly defined law than being charged wit dangerous driving for untertaking.