SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-03-06, 09:11 PM   #1
Daglad

Default Gearbox

Hi all, i am after a little help if you can. I am experiencing problems putting the bike into neutral from 1st gear. It will drop straight in from 2nd and also if l kill the engine it will go straight in. Am l looking at cable adjustment or does it need plates, and again if so do l need friction and steels.

Thanks
Old 28-03-06, 09:34 PM   #2
Unlucky4some

hiya

My bike also does this, i think its just a "characteristic" of the SV But I'm sure someone will be along shortly to say yay or err nah, but i don't really think of it as a problem if it's easier to go from 2nd to neutral than 1st to neutral use second, .. it's definitely not a problem with your cable, and i very much doubt a clutch problem as you can disengage / engage it to ride if you see what i mean,
on the other hand i could be talking cr@p and soon to find out i have a problem with my clutch
ride safe
Old 28-03-06, 10:08 PM   #3
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Before condemning the clutch, make sure it's correctly adjusted.

Do a search, much has been posted, by many including myself, the answers are out there.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-06, 11:37 PM   #4
Unlucky4some

ahh ok maybe it's not "Normal" adjusting the cable is worth a try.
thanks

/Me starts eating his own words
Old 29-03-06, 10:00 AM   #5
jambo
Mega Poster

With any gearbox trickyness check chain condition, chain adjustment, clean and oil chain and check clutch adjustment as well, as pointed out by Mr Squid, a lot has been posted on any of the above subjects.
Old 29-03-06, 10:06 AM   #6
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

also check your oil level

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-06, 07:54 PM   #7
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Mine was doing this the other day and then had trouble getting any gears at all. Problem was the top clutch adjuster had come loose, but the cable outer had wedged on a bit of the adjuster bolt. sometimes the outer was held away from the lever and you got good clutch action, other times it flopped into the adjuster and could not get any gears, especially neutral. Dead easy fix by re-adjusting and this time doing the lock nut up good and tight. However, this may be somethng completely different. Other symptom was clutch lever felt a bit sloppy, but as I tended to have it a bit slack anyway was not as noticable as it would be if you have a tighter lever.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-06, 09:03 PM   #8
splund

I found my gear changing getting stickier and stickier and then started to find it difficult to go from 2nd to 1st when pulling up and then even harder getting into first from neutral. A brief tightening of the clutch leaver solved the broblem. You can tell if this needs doing because there will be some slack in your lever before you feel the wieght of the clutch. Just tighten the adjuster until you get the slack just about out.

Anyway i found a realy interesting link about gearboxes that you might like to read. Enjoy.

http://www.vf750fd.com/blurbs/shifting.html
Old 29-03-06, 09:18 PM   #9
Blue_SV650S

Often clutch ‘sticking’ is down to a worn basket. The basket can get groves in it and the plates stick in the groves. Basket replacement is obviously the best cure, but I have had good results simply using a file to remove groves.

Anyway, something to think about/check.
Old 29-03-06, 09:58 PM   #10
The Basket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S
Often clutch ‘sticking’ is down to a worn basket. The basket can get groves in it and the plates stick in the groves. Basket replacement is obviously the best cure, but I have had good results simply using a file to remove groves.

Anyway, something to think about/check.
Basket replacement Anyhoo, I dropped my SV on it's left side...and bent the gear shift pedal and the little bar that goes across...I dunno if this will affect the way the gear shift works...If the bar is bent, maybe not pushing the rest of the mechanism and slotting the gears in? Dunno.