SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Pennine Massive For those readers based up north.

Old 10-07-08, 08:43 PM   #1
ooger

Smile Hello Northerners!

(the thread title here is a bit ironic, I was born in County Durham and lived there for about 20 years before going to Salford uni....anyway....I'm off on one already)

So I've just completed my acceptance forms for a new job in Manchester to go to in about 4 weeks time. I start on the 11th of August.

This poses a potential problem, mainly because I'll have nowhere to live (as of yet). So, up for discussion tonight (please):

1) Anyone got any recommended landlords / letting agents () who can help me with a short-term let while the right house is found? I'm looking for something around the SW of manchester - Sale, Altrincham, Urmston etc, and maybe anything within a 10 mile radius (away from the centre, preferred). Current requirements arn't even a house, a room will suffice, to rent by the week.

2) Anyone selling, or know anyone selling a nice house?

3) Is anyone in the market for a nice bit of house in Hampshire? One careful owner for the past 3 years. Let me know

I'll be seeing you around, no doubt...

Came up last weekend, saw 8 properties, coming back this weekend for some more.....
Old 11-07-08, 11:59 AM   #2
PBx

Default Re: Hello Northerners!

Must be honest I would have looked to the East or North of Mcr - you get a damn sight more for your money (and you are better placed for the biking roads!

I am biased of course!
Old 11-07-08, 12:52 PM   #3
timwilky
Mega Poster

Not good advice paul. If the OP is to be working Trafford. It would mean fighting the M60, Barton high level, swing bridge or the new one from Eccles etc. All likely to be costing him with Manchester's stupid tax on non residents working in Manchester.

Having done the Barton high level for too long, I would never wish that on anyone and often used to think I should have bought south of the cut.

PS, don't go telling people we have good roads round here or the whole damm south will turn up on our doorstep.
Old 11-07-08, 01:01 PM   #4
G
Mega Poster

Move south of manchester and then you have north wales and the peak district on your doorstep.
Old 11-07-08, 02:44 PM   #5
melody

Sorry, cannot help on the accommodation front, but hope you enjoy your stay.
Old 11-07-08, 02:53 PM   #6
ooger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBx View Post
Must be honest I would have looked to the East or North of Mcr - you get a damn sight more for your money (and you are better placed for the biking roads!

I am biased of course!
North, east and Northeast not an option at all, I dont want to commute for more than about 15 miles max, and certainly not on the motorway(s) or city centre

The roads will still be there on a weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
Not good advice paul. If the OP is to be working Trafford. It would mean fighting the M60, Barton high level, swing bridge or the new one from Eccles etc. All likely to be costing him with Manchester's stupid tax on non residents working in Manchester.

Having done the Barton high level for too long, I would never wish that on anyone and often used to think I should have bought south of the cut.

PS, don't go telling people we have good roads round here or the whole damm south will turn up on our doorstep.
Yerp, see above comment. Still looking in the SW areas this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
Move south of manchester and then you have north wales and the peak district on your doorstep.
Wales? Is it that close?

Quote:
Originally Posted by melody View Post
Sorry, cannot help on the accommodation front, but hope you enjoy your stay.

Thankeee v much.
Old 12-07-08, 01:12 PM   #7
600+

Wales is about 1hr to the Ponderosa from Sale/Altrincham that way.

Sale is probably gonna be cheaper than Altrincham and house with a garage for the bike is realistic. You should have NO PROBLEMS finding a place to rent! There are way toooo many properties for let these days.

I am almost local to Sale and used to work in Sale for sometime so if you want to discuss specifics feel free to drop me a PM with a landline and I can call you.
Old 13-07-08, 08:22 PM   #8
littleperson

you looked in the stockport area we have some lovely places

good luck with the new job and welcome back to the northern fraternity
Old 14-07-08, 11:42 AM   #9
PBx

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post

Odd that - 15m to the city centre, no motorway, 35 mins in the rush hour. Maybe I just imagine it in the morning then again I commute on the bike. I wouldn't go anywhere near the m60/m621 in the rush - like you Tim - been there done that.
Old 14-07-08, 02:27 PM   #10
ooger

Right. Well, that was a weekend that was.

Set off on Saturday morning with a list of about 20 houses over 3 days to visit and view. All was going well until Leamington Spa where the car crapped out on me and needed towing by the RAC to a garage. ?1200 repair bill = its now on eBay thanks to a new head gasket and 16valves needing being changed. Thankfully I have one more set of wheels and the bike. Hired a car in Leamington and continued. Thankyou RAC man for shuttling us around.

Got to Manchester etc, started viewing after cancelling the first 4 or so we'd missed. Had a look around some really nice ones, and some not so nice ones. And some that had "proper nesbitts" in, according to the wife.

Camped out in Monton overnight at the swanky "Monton House". Haha. You get what you pay for I suspect, though I didn't order 20 screaming WKD'd up Kylie fans on their way to the MEN. Anyway.

Sunday, more houses. Time for a nice afternoon lunch too at the pub.

Came home. Returned hire car. Handed in notice. Sounds easy doesnt it?

Put in offer on one place in Sale. Declined. Already under offer from a renting couple. Damn us not having already found a buyer for our house.

Put in another offer on property #2. Watch this space y'all

Thanks for the offer of help by the way, I'll come back to you for more local knowledge later I think, we got a really good feel for the areas while we were there by counting the number of trousers tucked into socks / hoodies per 10 square metres.