SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-04-19, 06:58 PM   #1
bezsv650

Default 2000 SV650 not starting with fully charged Battery

Changed battery to a new Lithium battery, holding around 13.5v tested with voltmeter. Worked fine for a couple of weeks but won't start now. The headlight goes on but looks weak, no ticking or cranking. All electrics look weak but voltage is fine. Please help!!!!
bezsv650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-19, 07:05 PM   #2
Othen

Default Re: 2000 SV650 not starting with fully charged Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezsv650 View Post
Changed battery to a new Lithium battery, holding around 13.5v tested with voltmeter. Worked fine for a couple of weeks but won't start now. The headlight goes on but looks weak, no ticking or cranking. All electrics look weak but voltage is fine. Please help!!!!

Are you testing the voltage across the electrodes or from + to the end of the negative return (‘earth’) lead? It sounds like a poor earth lead to me, so try that first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-19, 07:17 PM   #3
bezsv650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Are you testing the voltage across the electrodes or from + to the end of the negative return (‘earth’) lead? It sounds like a poor earth lead to me, so try that first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
From the (+) to the (-) contact on the battery, where should I be checking?
Old 03-04-19, 08:04 PM   #4
Othen

Quote:
From the (+) to the (-) contact on the battery, where should I be checking?
If you check from the +ve terminal to where the -ve return lead grounds on the frame (I'm not sure where that is on a SV) then you it will check that part of the cct as well - it does sound like a poor -ve return as it is affecting everything.
Old 03-04-19, 08:34 PM   #5
bezsv650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
If you check from the +ve terminal to where the -ve return lead grounds on the frame (I'm not sure where that is on a SV) then you it will check that part of the cct as well - it does sound like a poor -ve return as it is affecting everything.
Ok, got it. Will check 2nite. Thanks Othen
Old 04-04-19, 07:59 AM   #6
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
If you have a Service manual use the troubleshooting section.Sometimes these can be really useful and overlooked.

HTH
Old 04-04-19, 08:58 AM   #7
Othen

Quote:
Ok, got it. Will check 2nite. Thanks Othen
If you look here you will find a really nice wiring diagram for a curvy that someone posted just a few days ago:

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=231310

It sounds like an negative return problem to me, so check the earth strap as I said above, make sure the terminals are tight and then start checking the -ve return wires (black/white I think - but check the diagram first).

Good fortune.

Alan

PS. looking at the diagram, the most likely candidates will be (assuming the battery is good but all other ccts are affected to a greater or lesser extent):

1. Battery terminal post screws.
2. Earthing wire from the battery -ve terminal to the frame (see above).
3. +ve and -ve (red and black/white) wires from the battery to the starter relay.
4. Seating of the main fuse (it looks like it is in -ve return line to the battery).

Those are the bits that will tend to affect all ccts - does anything work properly (horn, indicators &c)? If so we might suspect it is an individual switch or return wire). If you can't find a fault with any of those measure the voltage from any +ve feed (generally the coloured (not black/white) wires to the frame, you should get something approaching battery voltage (a bit less depending on impedance in the loom) when you switch on whichever item you are testing (something easily accessible like the lights or horn). If you have a meter that will test impedance (might be called continuity or have a Greek omega sign) test between any of the -ve return wires (the black/white ones) and the frame - you should get a very low impedance (probably less that 0.1 ohm).

Be patient and methodical, finding electrical problems is about eliminating one thing at a time.

Last edited by Othen; 04-04-19 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-04-19, 10:21 AM   #8
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Also pull out and check all the fuses for corrosion including the female sockets.
Old 04-04-19, 10:58 AM   #9
Othen

If you don't have a service manual you may download one from here (free):

https://www.carlsalter.com/suzuki-service-manuals.asp
Old 04-04-19, 11:39 AM   #10
SV650rules
Mega Poster

How much did lithium battery cost, you say headlight looks weak, maybe it is failing already or not getting charged properly because of different characteristics of lead acid and lithium....

The headlight is disconnected anyway when trying to start, maybe you could try voltmeter or a bulb across positive and frame, and see what battery voltage does when trying to start engine.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 04-04-19 at 11:43 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote