SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-03-05, 10:51 AM   #1
mysteryjimbo

Default Bike lift

How stable would an SV be on one of these?

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=020110392

I've tried doing things before on front and rear stands but i've found them a little too unstable for my liking.

I've been quoted a ridiculous price of £40 for an hours labour if the shop takes my wheels off to fit my new tyres. (i havent shopped around yet) But i figure this may be the better long term investment.
Old 14-03-05, 11:16 AM   #2
Flamin_Squirrel

Considered one of these? http://www.n-w-s.com/stands/
Old 14-03-05, 11:29 AM   #3
Oxprod

the bike lift is designed for custom bikes but may work with some other bikes that dont have lower fairings. You can pick them up cheaper than that. Ive seen them on Ebay for around £70
Old 14-03-05, 12:32 PM   #4
Tris

What a coincidence MYSTERYJIMBO, I frightened myself trying to lift mine yesterday and was goin to start a post myself.

If you take a look at SV rider under tips/tricks, stands "Using an adaptor for hydraulic bike lifts" somebody on there made an adaptor that bolts onto the engine and then lifts the bike using the same type of lift as you are looking at. Might be worth a go.

For myself, any other thoughts would be appreciated as I can't afford the money or time at the moment to buy the lift and make the adaptor

Cheers

Tris
Old 14-03-05, 02:40 PM   #5
mysteryjimbo

Getting that adapter made shouldnt cost too much. I might pop along to a fabricators and find out how much.

As for the lift itself. There are some on eBay for £80 new. Hence OxProds comment!
Old 14-03-05, 05:18 PM   #6
RandyO

I have an EazyRizer.... awesome, most stable lift I have ever seen
http://www.bike-lift.com/eazyrizer.htm
Old 15-03-05, 08:29 AM   #7
Tris

Having thought about this over night, it occurs to me that the NWS type stand could lift the front of an SV by the boss with the 10mm through hole on the bottom of the engine.

What you think?

Tris
Old 15-03-05, 09:41 AM   #8
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris
Having thought about this over night, it occurs to me that the NWS type stand could lift the front of an SV by the boss with the 10mm through hole on the bottom of the engine.

What you think?

Tris
You don't even need to do that. The swing arm pivot which the stand normaly holds is close enough to the center of gravity you can easily pick the front up and put a block of wood under the engine to prop it up.
Old 18-03-05, 05:47 PM   #9
Banus

I've got a Scorpion rear paddock stand - sure it wobbles (flexes) a bit - but only a bit but does the job for £25
Old 18-03-05, 06:18 PM   #10

Default Re: Bike lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryjimbo
How stable would an SV be on one of these?

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=020110392

I've tried doing things before on front and rear stands but i've found them a little too unstable for my liking.

I've been quoted a ridiculous price of £40 for an hours labour if the shop takes my wheels off to fit my new tyres. (i havent shopped around yet) But i figure this may be the better long term investment.
Try Max Tyres at Langley Mill, been quoted £178 inc. fitting and balancing for a pair of Metzeler z6 roadtec. Not bad I thought. Telephone No. 01773 715918