SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 27-09-16, 08:49 PM   #11
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Default Re: Thinking of getting a vw transporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsmith View Post
7k budget look at Renault / Vaughan/ Nissan, traffic or vivaro and the Nissan the exactly the same van.
and renown for being unbelievable giant bags of sh!t.... wrecked gearboxes, injectors, even the drivers seats fall apart. I have a 07 vivaro occasionally, only has 70k on the clock and is ready for the scrap yard.... oh and yes, the gearbox is on the verge of detonating, full service history.

I'd have a T5 anyday but you cant justify the price of them. Probably one of the better vans that's been produced in the past 10 years. My daily drive is caddy, second one i've used and by far the best quality van I've had. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-16, 09:00 PM   #12
DomP

Thats what i think about the budget vans, im sure i can get something half decent if not low mileage for my budget eventually.
DomP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-16, 06:12 AM   #13
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideboy View Post
and renown for being unbelievable giant bags of sh!t.... wrecked gearboxes, injectors, even the drivers seats fall apart. I have a 07 vivaro occasionally, only has 70k on the clock and is ready for the scrap yard.... oh and yes, the gearbox is on the verge of detonating, full service history.

I'd have a T5 anyday but you cant justify the price of them. Probably one of the better vans that's been produced in the past 10 years. My daily drive is caddy, second one i've used and by far the best quality van I've had. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.
The ones I've dealt with have had 100k upwards and abused.
One did a series of a infamous MTV show and the other one was usually overweight.

One of the reasons I don't like the T5 is because had 1 break down in a loading bay, 2 leaking in the same spot and the 4th detonated after 12 months and needed a new engine

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-16, 06:13 AM   #14
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

And I bet they were shagged? There's a reason you see transports and caddys with 200k+ on the clocks. I know three other people who have experienced the vivaro effect and all of them got rid within a year.

In the trade world with tools and vans you get what you pay for and it's as basic as that. Ford have tried to up there game to try and compete with modern vans but all they've done is polish a turd, it's still the same agricultural van underneath.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis

Last edited by Wideboy; 29-09-16 at 07:25 AM.
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-16, 10:31 PM   #15
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Vivaros are an unremitting bag of sh*t. 100k says fook all. Camchain throwing, turbo munching, gearbox shredding pile of toss.

I don't really think it's the agricultural problem with fords, they're not that bad to drive. It's the reliability design flaws that cause problems. They've been problematic since the old smiley-face version came to an end.
My merc vito has done well north of 200k and is highly agricultural due to having a slightly retuned industrial water pump/generator engine. Not fast but they last forever (until the bodywork rots out...). Sadly it all went to bollox with the common-fail CDI engine replacing the proper diesel lump.
Old 01-10-16, 10:32 PM   #16
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomP View Post
Thats what i think about the budget vans, im sure i can get something half decent if not low mileage for my budget eventually.
I've never been put off with mileage, figure if it was going to go bang it would have done by now.

I had a skoda with the 1.9 in it, it was thrashed to fook with 200k on it and still sounded fine. I was going up and down from yorkshire to scapa in it sat at 3000+rpm for 10 hours at a time lol.