SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 08-03-08, 11:53 AM   #1
Hockeynut

Thumbs down Middle lane drivers on motorways

Grr, I can tell I've been back in the car too long.

I just never understand what goes on in their head. I remember even when they had those overhead signs saying "Keep left unless overtaking", and people still don't move into the left lanes!

I did read once that it was the person driving's fear that if they went back to the first lane, they may struggle to get back out to the 2nd to overtake again.

Also once read that it's because of a feeling of inadequecy if they are in the 1st lane.

Friend of mine taught me a fantastic game though, see how many laps you can do! If you come across one, over take him, then go to the first lane, let him pass, re overtake him, back to first lane, let him pass, rinse & repeat. I once got upto 4 times before he moved in! hehe :devil:

Maybe I shold just make up a sign to hold up to the window!

Last edited by Hockeynut; 08-03-08 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-03-08, 11:59 AM   #2
Baph

Default Re: Middle lane drivers on motorways

As I posted in the other thread really.

Assuming no plod, I like to go past in the left lane, just for giggles (as you said, sometimes they're in the middle because they're scared to move over).

Sometimes though, they're just lazy c-nuts!!
Old 08-03-08, 01:23 PM   #3
glsuk1970

+1. It's not big or clever but hopefully it'll wake up the idiot middle lane hoggers.

Centre or outside lane hogging has to be my 2nd pet hate in my Most Annoying Habits of Other Road Users top 10 (the first being drivers who driver right up to the line at a junction or roundabout, stop, and then look right and left before moving off).
Old 08-03-08, 01:32 PM   #4
Hockeynut

I have another which is bugging me more and more. Those who stop the flow of a main road traffic to let someone out from a side road!!!
Old 08-03-08, 01:36 PM   #5
Grinch

I just carry on using the inside lane I was on...
Old 08-03-08, 01:41 PM   #6
Stig

90% of the middle laners are there because they are too lazy to go through the process of changing lanes. The rest are normally drivers who think it's the 'safe' lane. They do not have to go through the very tricky process of changing lanes to overtake the big scary trucks but traffic can still overtake on the right.

I too wish people wouldn't be overly courteous and let traffic out when the traffic they are in is still moving. It can be bloody dangerous.

Then there are those that do not have enough forward observations at roundabouts and insist on stopping at the give way even though it is quite obvious there is nothing to stop for.
Old 08-03-08, 01:42 PM   #7
tonyk
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeynut View Post
I have another which is bugging me more and more. Those who stop the flow of a main road traffic to let someone out from a side road!!!
wow that sounds like luton............
NO one give way to anyone........they would stay in stuck / very slow moving traffic, ruther than let some one in from a side road !!!!!!
sometimes even if they are trying to get out of their driveways!!!!
the mentality is no one give's me way so i wont etc.....
..is it me or is it i just like the frendly wave of thanks...

"Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and clear all doubts."
Some days its not even worth chewing through the restraints...
tonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-08, 01:45 PM   #8
Grinch

I hate that with roundabouts, people just don't get the idea that they are there to keep the flow of traffic moving, not a Stop and Giveway junction.

Its that 4/3 ways stand-off you get to where everyone doesn't know who to give way to the right first, I normally just go then while they are all there still thinking about it.
Old 08-03-08, 03:43 PM   #9
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeynut View Post
Ah, but if you were the one stuck for ages in a side road I bet you'd be swearing at the drivers for NOT letting you out!

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-08, 04:00 PM   #10
grh1904

I asked my dad who is 70.

He was always told that lane 1 (left) is for lorries, coaches etc, lane 2 (middle) is for cars and lane 3 or the "FAST" lane is for fast cars to overtake the other cars or lunatics like me apparently