SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Helmets Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 04-06-15, 06:48 PM   #1
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Shoei GT Air Review

first time out with the GT Air. only a short blast of 40 odd miles.

its pretty much exactly the same as the Qwest so see my other review of that.

drop down visor, its good but not dark enough and it mists up very easily and as such i have to keep the chin vent open to keep it clear.

top vents, flows a fair old whack of air onto your head and i would say a good bit better that the Qwest.

noise, slightly better than the Qwest but not by much. one thing that i did find is that at silly speeds there is a slight whistle from the visor where the Qwest was silent.

what is it with Shoei helmets and wind blast into your eyes.. the GT Air is exactly the bloody same. same goes for the top lining, skunk hair again. i think Shoei need to address this problem.

value for money.. no way, it still has faults and they need addressed. if you already have a Qwest then just get a reatalite pinlock for £50 and save your cash. if i had paid full RRP for the GT Air i would not be a happy bunny.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-15, 06:12 AM   #2
LiquidFlux

Default Re: Shoei GT Air Review

I picked up a GT Air for 350 at 2014's MCN, coming from a budget helmet I appreciated the better build quality that came with the Shoei but most of the problems you mention I can relate to.

I avoid the dropdown visor nearly all the time except worst sunlight conditions, unless you click the visor into the fully sealed position the whistling does exist, and I've accustomed to pulling the helmet from the chin down so I can ride with a slightly adjar visor. Without the chin down or visor any more open than it can be without quite being shut, and I can't much handle 50mph+ which I could with a previous cheap lid.
Old 05-06-15, 04:31 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

yup thats with the visor fully locked down.

something i dont like about the GT Air is the lack of the thumb flip on the side for the visor that the Qwest had, i actually liked that as it had 3 settings.

i got mine for the silly price of £250
Old 03-07-15, 12:45 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

update:

i have fitted a more sit up position on the bike (comfort kit) and the problem of the wind getting in under the chin has almost disappeared. i have changed nothing else so i can only assume that it was some turbulence caused by the screen.

the slight whistle at higher speeds still remains.
Old 06-07-15, 08:14 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

update:

i have just had to clean the drop down sun visor. want a fekin PITA that is. its held in by 2 clip type locks that are about as useful as a chocolate fire poker and you cant get the sun visor back in without holding down the mechanism on the side which results in only having one hand free to get the visor back in which results in getting it covered in finger marks so i had to take it back out and clean again then use latex gloves to get it back in.

the hassle of having to carry a spare visor for the Qwest is starting to looking more and more appealing than some of the annoyances of the GT Air.

oohh and i got a transition pinlock for it as the sun visor is not dark enough and guess what.. the transition dont work too well due to the UV blocking on the visor. if i could find an after market clear visor it would be perfect but there are none.

for a helmet that retails for £400+ its a pile of poo.
Old 06-07-15, 08:47 PM   #6
NTECUK
Mega Poster

It's quite a feet to get a aftermarket visor that fits with a top line lid

Weather this is because of the copyright teams are on the case I'm not sure.
Aria copy ones are often as good as your chocolate poker.
Old 06-07-15, 08:52 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

i can get copies i just cant get a clear copy without the UV blocking
Old 06-07-15, 09:18 PM   #8
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
update:

i have just had to clean the drop down sun visor. want a fekin PITA that is. its held in by 2 clip type locks that are about as useful as a chocolate fire poker and you cant get the sun visor back in without holding down the mechanism on the side which results in only having one hand free to get the visor back in which results in getting it covered in finger marks so i had to take it back out and clean again then use latex gloves to get it back in.

the hassle of having to carry a spare visor for the Qwest is starting to looking more and more appealing than some of the annoyances of the GT Air.

oohh and i got a transition pinlock for it as the sun visor is not dark enough and guess what.. the transition dont work too well due to the UV blocking on the visor. if i could find an after market clear visor it would be perfect but there are none.

for a helmet that retails for £400+ its a pile of poo.
what's the issue with cleaning it in situ? Can still get to all the parts you see through and clean it well without the hassle of dismantling it.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-15, 09:53 PM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

i suppose you could do that but i wanted to clean with washy up liquid to help with the misting problem. i also think it would scratch very easily, this brings me to another little gripe. the visor scratches very easily as well unlike the qwest which was fairly robust. i have cleaned the visor about 6 times now and its scratched to fek.
Old 23-07-15, 08:02 PM   #10
Heorot

I looked at the Sharp report for the GT Air and it only got a 3 star rating. I would have expected a higher rating when you are paying big money. My V-Can also got a 3 star rating, but I only paid £70 for it.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote