SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-01-22, 09:36 PM   #1091
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: The running thread.

Not sure if it's been discussed before but wondered if anyone has recommendations for running watches, preferably ones that can be used for a bit of cycling and possibly hiking too.

Currently looking at Garmin Instinct Solar that I can get a deal and use a voucher on. I've used garmins for cycling before but my very old one has finally given up the ghost (for the 3rd time). I'd like to get one for runnning and know you can get bike mounts for them too, so rather a watch than a bike unit this time.

Does anyone have any experience or even tips on what to avoid?

Last edited by Adam Ef; 02-01-22 at 09:41 PM.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-22, 09:40 PM   #1092
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Also to add that after my 100k for the Movember challenge I decided to try and do the original 60k November target in December too. And succeeded, bringing my two month (2021) total to 161k, or exactly 100 miles. The equivalent of home in Bristol to Regent's Park in London. Not bad considering I hadn't really run properly before. Not sure I run "properly" now either I'm probably a mess of sight when I do, but it feels it's the only thing getting me through these dark months at the moment.
Old 02-01-22, 10:28 PM   #1093
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Not sure if it's been discussed before but wondered if anyone has recommendations for running watches, preferably ones that can be used for a bit of cycling and possibly hiking too.

Currently looking at Garmin Instinct Solar that I can get a deal and use a voucher on. I've used garmins for cycling before but my very old one has finally given up the ghost (for the 3rd time). I'd like to get one for runnning and know you can get bike mounts for them too, so rather a watch than a bike unit this time.

Does anyone have any experience or even tips on what to avoid?
Not much experience to go on here for me Adam, as the only running watch I've ever owned is the one I currently have. It's an old Garmin Forerunner 110 which I bought on ebay for £18 about 3 years ago. Does everything I need it to do - time, distance, elevation, pace, route gpx etc. It's pretty robust, having been walloped on the ground a couple of times when I've gone over while wearing it. The battery will need replacing at some stage, but they are available and replaceable with a very simple piece of soldering. It has been used for running, walking/hiking, and cycling, and has done each job perfectly well with no fuss.

Quote:
Also to add that after my 100k for the Movember challenge I decided to try and do the original 60k November target in December too. And succeeded, bringing my two month (2021) total to 161k, or exactly 100 miles. The equivalent of home in Bristol to Regent's Park in London. Not bad considering I hadn't really run properly before. Not sure I run "properly" now either I'm probably a mess of sight when I do, but it feels it's the only thing getting me through these dark months at the moment.
Well done on the mileage there, good going!
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-22, 12:23 PM   #1094
garynortheast
Mega Poster

That was a very muddy 4½ mile run this morning.

About 50% of my expended effort was just in trying to remain upright in places. Mabel wasn't too impressed with the mud or with being washed down at the end of the run either.

Some pictures of the run.

Old 05-01-22, 07:49 AM   #1095
shiftin_gear98

Morning all, Adam like Gary I don't have a lot of comparison with watches, the one I have now is the only one I've owned so far. Garmin Fenix 5. It was a joint Christmas present a couple of years ago from all my family. Its great, I wear it all the time. Does way more than I know how to use. I was looking at the Instinct back when I was looking to get one. Do it, get one. Then you can be sad like me and record everything. As you didn't do it if it's not on Strava.
Old 05-01-22, 07:51 AM   #1096
shiftin_gear98

My training finally started on Monday, so I'm already missing all the spare dog walk time I had recently. Ah well, onwards and upwards.

Gary, I hope your knee is on the mend.
Old 05-01-22, 10:11 AM   #1097
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I've gone for the Garmin Instinct as I picked one up new and fairly cheap off someone on eBay. Seems good so far. As Martin mentioned, way more than I need and I won't use half of it's capability. Tested on the cycle home from work last night though and seemed very simple to use. Big button to start and stop, save the journey and it syncs with phone and sends everything to Strave, Garmin Connect automatically. Hopefully no more stomping around the house in a mood looking for my mispalced old Garmin lead and then trying to get my broken old bike Garmin port to work with the lead and manually uploading and saving everything.

Also trying out some trail shoes so I can get out across the fields behind our house with the dog.

Then need a few bits of clothing as I tend to use my cycling kit. So much stuff to "need". Isn't running meant to be cheaper than cycling?!
Old 05-01-22, 02:29 PM   #1098
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
......... Isn't running meant to be cheaper than cycling?!
Ha ha! depends what kit you're happy to use. Most of my clothing kit has come from Karrimor, Higher State (sportsshoes.com own brand), and Aldi. All budget stuff but does the job I need it to do. The only thing I will no longer skimp on is trail shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
My training finally started on Monday, so I'm already missing all the spare dog walk time I had recently. Ah well, onwards and upwards.

Gary, I hope your knee is on the mend.
Good luck with the training Martin. The knee is coping with the running and walking thanks, but still not right.

Last edited by garynortheast; 05-01-22 at 02:35 PM.
Old 15-01-22, 11:20 AM   #1099
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Postponed the social run I had planned at Mitchell's Fold as there was only me. Saved myself the drive and did a local run instead.
A cautious 4.6 mile run on icy lanes and trails.
Old 15-01-22, 07:52 PM   #1100
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Got a bit worried a couple of days ago as the Garmin watch showed my run as 176bpm heartrate for almost all the run. Bit of research and realised that's absurd as it would have killed me doing that for 50 minutes. Tried out my old Garmin chest strap HRM paired with the watch and all looks much more normal. So the Garmin instinct is working out really well in most ways, but the built in HRM light on the back doesn't work for me.

Got out with my (ex-army so very healthy and fit) colleague after work yesterday. He promised it would be a five miler. All in darkness and mostly off road. Good fun and very atmospheric when the bright moon shone through the mist in the trees. Got back and turns out it was 10.5k though! Knackered today but pleased I'm managing higher distances without noticing it as much.