SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-04-05, 03:26 PM   #21
thor

That is annoying, but at least you knew he was there.

I know your driving is excellent Kate but there are many drivers around there that are hopeless, real liabilities. I always assume that haven't seen me, and most of the time assume that even if they have, they will cut me up anyway, because of their attitude.
Old 05-04-05, 03:46 PM   #22
Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor
True I knew he was there, but it doesn't help if I can't see where I'm going and it really has been like that many times. In that example in Streatham, I was literally blinded, I couldn't see the traffic lights. In another example, when driving along and someone comes from the other way with headlights on full, I had to pray there isn't a bend in the road as for a few seconds I can't see anything. That happened last night and it was a car that time.

I don't know what the solution is, personally, I will only be having my lights on full when there is no other traffic on the road or I have bikes in front of me who would prefer my car headlights on full so that we can all see better :P
Old 05-04-05, 04:16 PM   #23
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor
True I knew he was there, but it doesn't help if I can't see where I'm going and it really has been like that many times. In that example in Streatham, I was literally blinded, I couldn't see the traffic lights. In another example, when driving along and someone comes from the other way with headlights on full, I had to pray there isn't a bend in the road as for a few seconds I can't see anything. That happened last night and it was a car that time.

I don't know what the solution is, personally, I will only be having my lights on full when there is no other traffic on the road or I have bikes in front of me who would prefer my car headlights on full so that we can all see better :P
I think it's dangerous to drive towards people with full beam, seeing them behind you is merely an irritation IMO. And one well worth them suffering if it mean they don't knock me off. I'm the first to complain when people just leave their lights on full beam in the lanes though.
Old 05-04-05, 05:00 PM   #24
Stig

I filter and I filter fast. But as soon as the traffic goes down to 50 or under I will pass them no more than 20 over the top. As has been said, if the 1st lane is empty I'll take it. Before I go either between cars or under take the third lane / over take the 2nd lane. I will always pause momentarily just to be sure. I always cover the front brake and I am waiting for someone to pull into my path. I always make sure that I have an escape route should this happen.
Old 05-04-05, 08:42 PM   #25
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Ive had someone open a door on me too.Filtering between lanes 2 and 3 on the M1 I was amazed when I had to anchor up to let a front seat passenger fling the door open to empty the ashtray A few other suggestions.Be very careful when traffic is slowing or speeding up.This is when most lane swapping goes on.I tend to pass when two cars are alongside each other,there may be less space but they are not going to change lanes when another car is beside them_probably
Biker Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-05, 10:06 PM   #26
adam

here's my 2cents yea. I have ridden bikes for under a year however i have driver well over a million miles in cars and a LOT in traffic situations. THINK. This can save you. THINK what can i do if someone closes a gap, if you're Fuc$%d. Hang back? what can i do to avoid a collision? can i stop if they do close the gap???? Important I say. Bigape fella I don't know you but your advice is spot on and invaluable. NEVER BE A HERO!
Old 05-04-05, 11:27 PM   #27
BillyC
Mega Poster

Here's my tuppence:

1) Depending on how dense the traffic is, lanes 2-3 are a good bet, because they're usually the fastest moving. However - adapt to the situation you find yourself in - in dense situations, the queueing traffic rule applies, and often means that lane 1 becomes a realistic option, mainly because it's usually empty!

Always: Observe, assess, plan, execute - all with constant observation. Filtering on a motorway is a situation that requires 100% attention, you must know exactly what is to your left, to your right, infront, and behind. Your road sense must be able to accurately predict what your neighbours are doing.

2) One of the most dangerous filtering situations to filter in on a motorway is truly stationary traffic - more dangerous than slow moving traffic. In stationary traffic, drivers do stupid things - like want to change lanes because the Fiesta now next to them, was previously way behind. Because they're perceive that all traffic is stationary - they tend not to look when nudging the nose of their car in the direction of their chosen lane to barge into the space that has not yet been created. I'm sure many forks have been bent in such situations.

3) As for the high beam... live with it If you're in a car, in a queue - your journey is over. Next time, take the bike!
Old 05-04-05, 11:33 PM   #28
BillyC
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate
It's difficult to say what the solution is Kate, or even if there is one. If you think it's bad in a car, try being dazzled at night on a bike.

If it happens in a car, first thing is NOT to look at the headlights, look straight for the curb, and visualise where your limits are. Second is to feel the road through your car - some vehicles this is easier than others.

On the bike, I expect you only know the road is about the run out, around the same time as you feel that you're losing control.

Anyway... Streatham... what do you expect?
Old 06-04-05, 04:40 PM   #29
swamp

Default No mention of...

No one has mentioned the use of a loud race can. Do these help....

My SV is standard but my m8's bandit has a race can and I can hear it for some distance over my engine and helmet. OK, so the bloke with the shiny KW amp in the boot and more speakers than the Glastonbury festival won't hear you but most should.
Old 10-04-05, 12:06 PM   #30
KIERON5131

Sadly the use of a noisy race can is not efective due to the invention of

1 noisy stero.
2 driver distractions like sat nav lap tops mobile phones and nose picking.

Any way the most likely hazard when filtering isent rom cars its from other bikers.

like you the filtering in front is processeing all the inforamtion ahead of the 80% and whats behind much less.

THINK BIKE!