SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-01-06, 02:05 PM   #1
muddycoffee

Default Does anyone know how much current Meta alarm drains battery

I was explaining to my mate about how I now have an optimate to keep my bike battery topped up and how my Meta immobiliser/alarm helps to drain the battery. And he was amazed that a bike should suffer from this battery draining problem. When to keep the circuit of a small electronic device like this and an LED should be pretty minimal.

Now it might be that this current is extremely minimal and my battery was weakened due to winter riding. It was a new battery in June so should be pretty good still.

Does anyone have any details of how much current a Meta alarm/immobiliser takes from the bike's main battery when fully armed?
Old 01-01-06, 06:11 PM   #2
Khewett

Not a lot, they are low drain I've left mine for 5 weeks in the winter with alarm onand it started fine.

Even on full arm it goes to sleep (nearly zero drain) mode after something like 10 days..
Old 01-01-06, 07:27 PM   #3
muddycoffee

Thanks Khewett,

I was begginning to think that the commuting with the lights on at slow speed in the winter weather was more to blame than anything and I think you have more or less confirmed this for me.

Recently I had spent a few days abroad in the middle of a couple of icy weeks, when I used the car instead, and the bike wouldn't start for me. On the first decent morning. But was ok after I charged the battery up later. However I got an optimate for christmas and now I have plummed everything in I am hoping that starting problems will be a distant memory.
Old 01-01-06, 10:25 PM   #4
wheelnut

I have a Meta 357T and it doesnt drain the battery at all, it goes into sleep mode after a week or so and will only wake up if you kick the bike, bit like a labrador :P