SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-06-05, 12:39 PM   #1
Fleagle

Default Ride report - first track day :)

Just got back from my first ever track day. Went to Cadwell with a couple of mates (track-day veterans). An absolute blast and highly recommended to everyone.

No nerves but obviously a little concerned that someone else would do something silly and ruin my day. Thankfully no casualties from our camp, but plenty of other riders left with expensive repair bills.

As a first timer, I stuck in the Novice group and grabbed myself a yellow jacket. Not being proud, I kept it on all day figuring I'd be given extra room. All good clean fun. People overtaking executed nice clean moves, and I gave the same back to others.

Words can't explain how much satisfaction you get from overtaking much much faster bikes. Guys on their R1's and GSXR750s would sail past me effortlessly on the long straights, then I'd snigger as I cut around their crappy lines on the corners! Don't get me wrong, there were a lot of very slick riders out in all three groups, but a worrying number of shoddy riders on very fast machines. You laugh thinking how they must feel getting taken by a yellow jacket on an SV!

I was probably on the slowest bike out there but gave it a good caning. Cadwell has a couple of long straights where any bike that wanted to get past could do so without effort, but there is a fantastic mix of corners where you can give all others a good run for their money.

You will pick a lot up by watching other riders, both how to improve a certain section and what not to do. It is a great atmos - other riders were coming over to talk because they'd had an SV in the past and carried a lot of happy memories. Most riders are obviously in the same boat and just want a good time and a bit of banter.

Went out on the stock Dunlops, which were predictable but not confidence inspiring. They took a good couple of laps to warm up, but never reached super sticky on the cool track. I'm within a couple of mm of the edge although I was scraping pegs on most corners and left with the blobs nicely ground down.

Got back from first sighting session thinking I still haven't got a clue where I am on the track. Towards the end of session two I've got my eye in and really starting to push it. By the end of the day, I was still learning the track and aching for more - I could have comfortably gone on for a good few more sessions.

Some (obvious?) tips from a first timer?

Observe the marker cones
Watch the track, not the guy in front
Go with some mates
Don't be afraid to ask staff anything - it's what they're paid for
Take plenty of food and drink
DO IT NOW - YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO!
Old 07-06-05, 05:08 PM   #2
Warren

dunno but im gonna watch this thread cos i am gonna be doing one soon

went to brands to spectate and see what its like, noticed a few r1's and fireblades gettting passed by guys on 125's

saw 5 offs in 2 hours tho - one was pretty bad - is this normal ?
Old 07-06-05, 11:04 PM   #3
sv4me
Mega Poster

Ooh me too

Im hoping to do one mid July at Oulton Park, funds allowing. Cant wait! Have to agree about the satisfaction of overtaking faster bikes, had no end of fun on the SV frustrating sports bike riders when they couldnt get away from me. Could still be tempted to take the SV but probably wont be able to resist seeing what the ninja can do! Guess i better paint a bullseye on my back now for any SV riders

I'd like to think im a pretty fast rider with good control. But ill have no problems going in the novice group. Im only fast on roads I know and itll be my 1st trackday. So gimme my day-glo jacket! \/
sv4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-05, 12:23 AM   #4
wheelnut

I got the same feeling when I did Rockingham, there were loads more faster bikes and riders, but the looks on their faces when you slipped underneath them at the hairpin or through the twisty bits

I did another one at Donington on the GP Circuit and found the SV to be very underpowered in more than power. The brakes were cooking, and the suspension had just gone soft on me.

I think Cadwell, Rockingham or Donington National circuit will suit an SV better.

There is a motorcycle folly track day at Cadwell on thursday 9th june run by our own Mike1234. im going to go as a spectator if they will let me in
Old 08-06-05, 08:03 AM   #5
Balky001
Mega Poster

Brands Indy is a great track for SV, as is Lydden and Mallory. I did my first track day on the SV at Brands and I was the only bike not on a supersport - only one R6 and and R1 passed me all day - the bike was awesome - but you are right, so many people with fast bikes just feeling the power and forgetting lines and late braking. Glad you had fun. When's the next one???
Old 13-06-05, 03:37 PM   #6
Fleagle

To all those thinking about it, stop thinking and just book it! I was thinking about it all last year but never put my money down while my mates were organising things. This year, I decided to give it a blast. Gotta say I'm hooked.

sv4me, take the Ninja and start in the novice group with a day-glo. You can always remove the jacket or change groups if you want to. Although the novice group will still have some very competent riders. Just go out there with nothing to prove and enjoy the experience

We've just booked the Superbike Dawn till Dusk trackday with Focused Events for 24 August at Cadwell if anyone's interested. 125 quid for a combined daytime and evening session with free BBQ etc. Should be a hoot. There's an ad is in this months Superbike mag.
Old 14-06-05, 09:03 AM   #7
keithd

Stop it! i'm excited enough as it is at the thought of doing my first track day at the end of July....

Good tips on first post, nice one!!
Old 14-06-05, 11:52 AM   #8
philc2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikageboy
noticed a few r1's and fireblades gettting passed by guys on 125's
Probably race bikes that weigh nothing and have good riders on them - you'll struggle to keep up with them on any road bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikageboy
saw 5 offs in 2 hours tho - one was pretty bad - is this normal ?
Yes, but usually they manage to do this all on their own. I've not seen anyone taken out by another rider yet and I'm well into double figures. It tends not to happen (as much) in the novice group as you're not going fast enough.

Most people mis-judge corners and go straight on in panic mode, chances are you can lean a bit further look around the corner and get round. There's usually plenty of scope for taking a wide line through most corners if you **** it up, that's part of the learning process.
Old 14-06-05, 09:16 PM   #9
mac

Default Track days

Went to watch a couple of mates do a track day at Rockingham tonight ( 3 twenty minute sessions) and it looked good BUT not sure i`d like to do it on my own bike. Saw three people bin their bikes ( and my mate binned his Gixxer 600 after i left ).

Mind you i`ve only had my licence for a month ( and the K5 SVS for a week ) so this could well change with time -LOL
Old 14-06-05, 09:38 PM   #10
CoolGirl

ah, trackdays, I remember those. Bloody brilliant (even if I was the slowest kid all day, but I didn't care). I still dream about riding Brands Indy every so often, honestly

Top fun and improved my riding no end. Highly recommended if you can manage to pick a day when everyone else isn't busy binning it so you get a red flag every 5 minutes!