SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-08-17, 10:59 AM   #1
Mcnius

Default fell down, went crash, now stuffed

Hello to you all, im sure someone had this issue before and there must be a thread about this ( i did have a search but couldnt find anything), but long story short here its goes:
last saturday went for a ride with some friends had a good time and on the way home was taking left turn maybe a bit faster than i should had to apply brakes and was too generous on front, so lock slide and went down, and broke left rearset clean of the bracket, so few days later i fit new one one and thought hey presto , but no, , now looks like i cant change gear and if it changes looks like its almost infinite amount of gears up or down, cant find neutral aswell, so here is the million dollar question, where to start looking for problem, does this means need to take gearbox apart, or there is less difficult procedure i should follow first, (bike starts and runs fine with the clutch in)

Bike is Suzuki SV650s 2001 model (half faired?) only mods ive done myself is new indicators and exhaust but i guess that is irrelevant for this

so please please if anyone can help with good advice it would be greatly appreciated .

Thank You
Mcnius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-17, 11:13 AM   #2
Chris_SVS

Default Re: fell down, went crash, now stuffed

Could well be a selector fork broken, I'd be confident that's gearbox surgery to find out
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-17, 11:22 AM   #3
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Check the circlip on the shifter shaft, the fat one that goes into the gearbox with the splined end. if you pull it outwards (leftwards - don't worry you can't pull it right out) and look for the groove and its circlip that should be only just outside of the gearbox casing. It might be under a ton of crud. check the circlip is in place, otherwise the shaft can move inwards too far and disengage from the shifter gubbins that sit under the clutch on the right side of the engine. If it's in place then the shaft will have minimal in/out movement as the circlip stops it going inwards. I dropped mine on the left and the circlip popped out, it stayed on the shaft (tight fit) but wasn't doing its job any more.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-17, 11:34 AM   #4
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

All of the above.I use Partsfiche to help when trying to identify components and their place,

https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-sv650-1...8.html#results

https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-sv650-1...1.html#results

Also the troubleshooting sections in the Manuals can be helpful,

Old 17-08-17, 11:52 AM   #5
Mcnius

hmm..... tried to pull and push on the shaft that goes in to gearbox with the circlip on, there is only about 1mm movement each way, if you say it can come out it didnt , or i need to pull harder?
Old 17-08-17, 03:07 PM   #6
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Hmm tricky, i would start with the external shifter bits below the clutch. Hopefully as you can't seem to get any gears it's something like that rather than an internal problem. Some more info here
https://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=162162
and here
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=95535
with actual pics on page 4 via a link.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-17, 03:41 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

if you haven't already then try rocking the bike back/fourth without the engine running and the clutch out while moving the gear lever to get it into neutral. if it wont budge then its more than likely something internal.

have you tightened the bolt on the link onto the spline properly?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-17, 04:45 PM   #8
DJ123
Mega Poster

With the clutch out can you select a gear and feel drive/a bite?

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-17, 05:01 PM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjob View Post
With the clutch out can you select a gear and feel drive/a bite?
in most cases if you rock the bike back and forth. its how you shift a bike into neutral if the bike wont run or the clutch cable is bust.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-17, 06:03 PM   #10
Mcnius

Thanks guys, i will try your suggestions tomorrow morning if weather allows, and will keep you posted, working late shifts this week.