SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-08-17, 09:34 AM   #11
Mcnius

Default Re: fell down, went crash, now stuffed

good morning, ok this is what i found this morning, after Bibio suggested i did some rocking and rolling and managed to make it stay in gear even with clutch in hmm.... interesting, then more rocking and rolling and managed to find neutral gear, then stuck it in first and back in neutral and back in first, but its not smooth, there is bite and bike moves in gear (only could move couple of feet, decking is not a race track ), not so long ago i noticed weird sound from what i think is clutch, when changing gear and disengaging clutch being rough it would squeal or squeak (something like that) , and now while engine running tried changing gears and it didnt go in nice, first gear would make bike jump , then tried shifting second and back to first wouldnt go in nice , had to start releasing clutch to put gear in.

So: rocking and rolling managed to do something it would stay in gear with clutch in
then managed to put it back in neutral and few times first and neutral and back again
i think had second and third (just a guess) there was drive
clutch (or something on clutch side of bike) started making weird sound not so long ago
to put in gear needed to start releasing clutch a bit

does this means need to start stripping clutch first?
any suggestions?
Mcnius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-17, 11:19 AM   #12
Bibio
Mega Poster

sounds like you need to lube and adjust (or replace) the clutch lifter mech or you have a partially seized clutch cable.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-17, 02:12 PM   #13
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
sounds like you need to lube and adjust (or replace) the clutch lifter mech or you have a partially seized clutch cable.
This. The drop may have knocked the adjustment completely out, when it was marginal before.

This post gives a good description of how it is done. http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...6&#post2956356

Search will find many items like this to help you.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-17, 02:22 PM   #14
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Yep, deffo worth a look, the clutch should work fine regardless of which gear you're trying to be in. The gearbox will only change (properly) when it's spinning, so the rocking back and forth simulates this, but it's often not possible to get more than a gear or two away from where you start. The clutch makes no difference to this when the engine's off. All the adjustment is under the front sprocket cover - Sid's description is spot on for how it's done, in the link above.

Regarding the symptoms before, it could also be a dragging clutch. If your bike has done around 20k or more then the plastic worm gear of the clutch lifter is most likely scrap, the little ball bearings dig into it. It'll still work but won't feel great, they're fairly cheap though.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-17, 02:56 PM   #15
Mcnius

Thanks, I'll try that. Bike has done around 23k.
Old 18-08-17, 03:03 PM   #16
Bibio
Mega Poster

the wormgear in the lifter is metal. a good blast of degreaser/wd40/chain cleaner etc.etc (you dont need to remove it from the bike) and a repack of grease (pack it in the groove with your finger where you can see a small metal tab) is usually enough to see them working again. dont take it apart as its well fun putting it back together and you might loose some of the tiny bearings. its recommended to use CV/molly grease but any grease will do the job. do not use copper/alloy grease.

i adjust the wormgear screw different to others. turn the lever adjuster out to 1/2-3/4 way first. adjust the screw till it just touches then lock off being careful not to move the screw. adjust bite point of lever by turning lever adjuster back in. nip up the adjuster nut with pliers (they have a habit of working loose). the above does exactly the same as backing of the screw 1/4 turn stated in the manual.

Last edited by Bibio; 18-08-17 at 03:09 PM.
Old 18-08-17, 03:20 PM   #17
Mcnius

Silly question, so all of this happening on left or right side of the bike?
Old 18-08-17, 03:36 PM   #18
Bibio
Mega Poster

the clutch lifter is behind the front sprocket cover.

top tip, mark the knuckle of the shifter on the spline with a felt pen line where the gap of the bolt is that way you know where to put the shifter knuckle back on, you need to take the bolt out

there are 3 (8mm socket) bolts to take the cover off, you need a small 8mm 1/4'' drive socket and extension to get them off.
Old 18-08-17, 06:31 PM   #19
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Mcnius, there is a rod that passes right through the engine from the lifter to the clutch. The lifter pushes it in, you'll see the action when you take a look.
Bibs I'm sure the first one I replaced was plastic, I took it to bits to try to grease it but you could see the gouges made by the balls. The second time I replaced it I didn't bother looking - it's a pig to get back together so don't try it. The one on my ye olde GSX250 back in the day was all metal.
You can get the sprocket cover off without taking the lever off the shift rod, it's below not through the cover - progress of a sort! Sometimes they have a dot punched in the end to show you where the split of the knuckle goes, I can't remember this one though.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-17, 06:37 PM   #20
Mcnius

Oki doki, looks like i will have busy afternoon tomorrow, i will keep you posted guys, really appreciate all your help so far.