SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-07-04, 11:31 AM   #11
splke

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarko5
Quote:
Originally Posted by splke
Excellent
How To mate.
Thank you very much
30 mins and no cheese
This is the 1st mod that has made a big difference.
Very smooth in 1st gear.
Did I mention I Love you
Put your snorkel back on mate, then go give it big fistfulls in 1st 2nd and third see what you think
Why put the snorkel on...
Is it a bad thing to remove it mate ?
Old 07-07-04, 11:47 AM   #12
Iansv

Much easier on the curvier sexier model...
Old 07-07-04, 11:53 AM   #13
amarko5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarko5
Quote:
Excellent
How To mate.
Thank you very much
30 mins and no cheese
This is the 1st mod that has made a big difference.
Very smooth in 1st gear.
Did I mention I Love you
Put your snorkel back on mate, then go give it big fistfulls in 1st 2nd and third see what you think
Why put the snorkel on...
Is it a bad thing to remove it mate ?
well I just found that my filter got a tad wet so it's back on) I am however looking for the 1000's snorkel
Old 12-07-04, 07:19 AM   #14
SteveNZ

Excellent howto. It's good that you made a point about how sensitive the adjustment is. I found that I was moving it fractions of a degree and getting quite a bit of change to the RPM level. I think I ended up putting up with it changing at about 1600RPM, which is a whole lot better than the 3000RPM it was as standard. It makes the bike so much nicer to ride in stop-start traffic with the TPS calibrated properly. I've since put a Powercommander on it which has a manually adjustable (set throttle zero position) computerised TPS -like thingy built in which improves things even more.

I'd suggesting trying to get the moderator to make this a sticky, or bung it in the articles section, as it's very handy.
Old 12-07-04, 09:18 AM   #15
coombest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNZ
I'd suggesting trying to get the moderator to make this a sticky, or bung it in the articles section, as it's very handy.
Yeah - I suddenly realised this last night when I was looking at the main website! I have already sent John the link to this and also the 'raw' documents I cut & pasted onto the forum so hopefully they will soon appear in he How To section of the main site!
Old 14-07-04, 07:40 AM   #16
Les

Default Those "cheese bolts"...

Was just reading thru the step by step TPS mod by coombest (which I reckon is a TOP NOTCH effort - well done mate!) and thought that I'd offer this little tip for dealing with soft-headed fasteners such as encountered here. Use a bit of valve grinding paste (a cheap alternative to proper "screw grab" stuff) on the tip of your Torx bit to give a more positive grip in the recess. Should go a long way to preventing the tip from munting the screw.

Me gonna do this mod very soon me thinks

Old 19-07-04, 12:16 PM   #17
bird

Did someone ask why suzuki dont make them set like this as standard?.

They do, except like carbs they go out of sync and need resetting. This is done when your bike is serviced. Yep when set right it does make your bike run smoother.

I like the way peeps fiddle when they are not to sure about what they are doing!!...is that why there are so many treads on here from peeps that have bikes with running problems???
Old 29-07-04, 04:17 PM   #18
Itching 2 go

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird
Did someone ask why suzuki dont make them set like this as standard?.
actually yes, they said that the sv has the potentioal to be a bloody powerfull bike but they DUMBED it down for the masses as they were **** scared of any tie up with its evil twin brother
Old 01-08-04, 09:05 PM   #19
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

Cheers M8 for the MOD, did it.... but unfortunatly did'nt have a secuity torques bit.... small screwdriver and hammer sorted it!!!!
so with french soft cheese as screws and a normal 25 torque bit did the trick....
alot better at pulling..now (Wheely Wheely fast)
p.s. anyone got 2 x 25 bit security torque screws please let me know...
I don't think the service dealer will let it go...
Old 02-08-04, 04:48 PM   #20
K3

Since completing this mod I've now had a chance to have a good few hours on the bike. I can honestly say I cannot notice any difference with slow speed stuff, or at any other point. I have checked the settings and I have adjusted it spot on!

Oh well - perhaps it's just me, I'll give it some time and see if I can notice a difference. Am I the only one that is not getting any benefit or are you all just imagining it in?! (the mind can play funny games!)

I didn't have any problems with the bolts - wouldn't advise hammering the conventional torx bits into the screws though!

If you are about to do this mod - go and get a quarter drive ratchet and the proper torx bits rather than hammering away or burring up the nice shiny bolts!! A quarter drive will fit right in there with no awkwardness at all.