SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-07-07, 07:54 PM   #1
muzikill
Mega Poster

Default Tailpacks & camping-can you get everything in it?

Going to buy myself a oxford first time tail pack, i'm sure someone in here mentioned they got everything for an over night stay at AR07 in one.

Anyone have any tips on what to pack, photos etc. to make things as compact as possible without compromising too much? eg. without using a crap tent, sleeping bag, cooking equipment.

Even if we got a checklist together based on peoples experiences too
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.
muzikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-07, 08:29 PM   #2
gazman

Default Re: Tailpacks & camping-can you get everything in it?

muzikill,

I'm off on a weeks camping trip on the bike soon. The other day I got the bike packed up to make sure i can get it all on. I managed to pack everything into my oxford sports tailpack (extended) & oxford sports tank bag (not extended) with my tent & roll mat strapped on the back. Although I havent packed any food or anything for cooking as I'm going to buy it as I go along.

My advice is to be strict with what you "need" you might find you pack as much as you can & not be able to fit it all in, then start refining you packing my removing stuff you dont actually "need" - you never require as my as you think. Coventional wisdom dictates - take half the stuff & twice the money, lol.

HTH
Old 31-07-07, 08:40 PM   #3
orose

I didn't go to AR07, but I have done a couple of one-nighters on the SV with my gear so I'll chip in a little.

I didn't have enough room for everything just in the tailpack, but I've got matching panniers as well for mine (picked up a tank bag in the same kit from M and Ps sale)

In there, I got my airbed (single berth, self-inflating), a 2 dwarf tent and sleeping bag strapped to the outside, a bike cover, change of clothes and spare trainers.

I'm off up to Scotland on Thursday until Sunday, and I'm intending to do exactly the same thing there - pack pretty much the same load of gear and see if I can get a disposable BBQ in there as well

If I get chance, I'll try and remember the camera for the loading pics. I got it spot on on the way home last time - undid the two straps and two bungees, and the clip under the mudguard, and lifted tailpack, panniers, tent and sleeping bag off in one piece.
Old 31-07-07, 08:59 PM   #4
Duck-man

I have an oxford first tail pack (Got it free with MBA credit card), a set of oxfrod first panniers (free with fast bike sub) and bought an oxford first hump back sports tank bag. The picture attached is 3 man tent, good sleeping bag, carry mats, paniers with clothes, and tank bag with maps, camera, and handy bits and pieces all for a week in ireland (NW200 trip)

I dont use my tail pack as i dont think i need it and by the time i have all the kit i need i dont need to use it

hope that helps

Old 31-07-07, 09:35 PM   #5
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I got a weekends worth of stuff for two people in a tailpack and tank bag for AR06..

I got a weeks worth of clothes for two people into a tankbag when Liz and I went to ireland on the bikes last year.

The best tip I could give you is to "take what you actually need, not what you think you might need" I used to take far to much stuff and not use half of it, now I've got better and dont take as much I have more room for essentials if you see what I mean.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-07, 09:53 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

Not sure about that tailpack, but last year I had all my stuff in my big oxford tailpack and my tiny Oxford manbag tankbag (it holds a tin of coke, my wallet and my phone!), no problem at all. It actually helps you avoid carrying rubbish you don't need- this year I had about twice as much space with the top box, and I filled it exactly just like I did last year

(edit- oh aye, that was 3 nights I think... Though on the last night, I was alone in a field so it didn't matter if I smelled)
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-07, 10:08 PM   #7
BILLY

Does this give you an idea? all this gear for 2 for 2 nights including food!

Old 31-07-07, 10:08 PM   #8
hovis

i got everything for AR07 in a tailpack, took the tent out of its bag & got that & sleeping bag in aswell
Old 31-07-07, 10:48 PM   #9
ejohnh

Pah - you youngsters don't know yer born. I got a dress suit, set of TEAK garden furniture, 3 piece suite, Queensize bed, 22 man frame tent, row of terraced houses, 5 pairs of STRONG boots, AND a change of underpants in an Acme bum bag.

And I was just going down t'shops!

John
Old 31-07-07, 10:53 PM   #10
kwak zzr

i can get 2 cans of stella under my pillion seat