SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-09-09, 06:33 PM   #1
Amplimator

Default non-road legal to legal...crossers/enduro etc

Evenin everyone, this may seem like a daft question to some but im considering a enduro/crosser for a winter hack and a bit of green-lane action but im wondering what does it take to make a non road legal one legal? i know i could just buy a legal one but generally non-legal are cheaper, but is it a false economy making it legal?(ie end up costing more) do non legal come with a V5? does it just need tax, a V5, a speedo and an MOT? (for daytime MOT) i know indicators only have to be present if bike was built/designed with them but what about the rest? etc etc etc

this will be my first 'dirt' machine and basically i have no clue, theres a few local to me but not road legal so any input greatly appreciated

thx
Old 20-09-09, 06:42 PM   #2
speedplay

Default Re: non-road legal to legal...crossers/enduro etc

Its a pain in the ar$e.
You will need to make it fully road legal to the nth degree, tyres, lights, indicators mirrors ect.
You will then need to book it in for a vosa test to be inspected.
IF it passes their testing/inspection you will need to get it insured and MOTed on the frame number.
Then the DVLA will want you to take it to your local DVLA office for them to inspect (in my case just to measure the seat and sump height) before they will issue you a numberplate (more expence) you have to tax it on the frame number and they will transfer the tax to the new plate.

I have done this in the past with crossers and unregistered enduros and its too much of a pain to bother with.
The best bet is to buy a road registered crosser or enduro.
Dealing with road registering offroad bikes is a long painstaking and expensive task
Old 20-09-09, 06:57 PM   #3
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedplay View Post
You will need to make it fully road legal to the nth degree, tyres, lights, indicators mirrors ect.
No lights, indicators or mirrors required for a single seater off road motorcycle registered under the enduro exemption from EWVTA, provided you use it during daylight hours obviously
Quote:
You will then need to book it in for a vosa test to be inspected.
VOSA won't be inspecting the bike, you might be asked by the DVLA to come to have the bike inspected, but it's only to check the qualification for enduro exemption and that the frame/engine numbers match those on the form
Quote:
IF it passes their testing/inspection you will need to get it insured and MOTed on the frame number.
If the bike is old enough you will be required to produce an MOT and valid insurance at the time you submit the form to the DVLA, which will occur before any inspection
Quote:
Then the DVLA will want you to take it to your local DVLA office for them to inspect (in my case just to measure the seat and sump height) before they will issue you a numberplate (more expence) you have to tax it on the frame number and they will transfer the tax to the new plate.
You don't get a plate, your bike will be issued with a valid VRM once the paperwork is accepted and the tax is paid for at the same time, you then get the plate made up yourself
Quote:
I have done this in the past with crossers and unregistered enduros and its too much of a pain to bother with.
It's not easy, especially if the DVLA want to be a pain, but it's definitely doable
Quote:
The best bet is to buy a road registered crosser or enduro.
This is probably the better option though...

edit: see this thread for more info:

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13234
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...

Last edited by the_lone_wolf; 20-09-09 at 07:03 PM.
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-09, 07:10 PM   #4
speedplay

All I have put above is from personal experience.
The rules for a crosser are different from that for an enduro.
IF you want to put a crosser on the road all I have said above will come into play.
If you are going to put an enduro on the road then the enduro exemption will come into play.
Enduros and crossers are treated very differently when it comes to registering them.
If you get an unregistered enduro, you can talk to the importers (Rob Brown of KTM UK at Brackley was a great help) and see if you can get the homologation documents.
These will help you no end when it comes to fill in the registration docs and also when answering and questions.

EDIT TO ABOVE>

The lone wolf is right BUT registering a crosser is very different to registering an enduro.
Although they look the same and effectivly do the same thing an enduro bike is built as a dual purpose vehicle.
A motocross bike is built as an offroad vehicle.
If you decide to road register a motocross bike you WILL have to make it fully road legal so as to change it from an offroad vehicle to a dual purpose vehicle.
You WILL have to have all the above inspections and Will be pi$$ed about whilst trying to do this.

You will be issued a registration plate number.

Didnt realise that the .Org were so picky...
You will receive a yellow piece of paper with your new tax disc stapled to it in the post and in a registration mark written in a little box ( in both cases where I have registered 1. a crosser and 2. en enduro this was written in black marker ( just to satisfy the .Org...).
This will then be taken to a shop of your choice ( how you get there will probably be different to how I got there so I wont bother typing this bit).
The guy behind the counter will look at it, take it out the back for someone else to look at and then come and talk to you about it ( personal experience).
He will then tell you that you will have to have a full sized plate.

Last edited by speedplay; 20-09-09 at 09:37 PM.
Old 20-09-09, 07:14 PM   #5
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Enduros and crossers are treated very differently when it comes to registering them.
Hence you're registering an enduro, always...

Look... I'm winking at you...
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-09, 07:16 PM   #6
Red Herring
Mega Poster

A pure crosser wouldn't make a very good road bike anyhow. Most of the competition dirt bikes that come even close to being viable road hacks are produced in Enduro trim already so even if the one you buy isn't already road registered it's fairly straightforward to do.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-09, 07:25 PM   #7
speedplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
Hence you're registering an enduro, always...

Look... I'm winking at you...
The OP asked about crossers and enduro...

So I posted my personal experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
A pure crosser wouldn't make a very good road bike anyhow. Most of the competition dirt bikes that come even close to being viable road hacks are produced in Enduro trim already so even if the one you buy isn't already road registered it's fairly straightforward to do.
+1 Gearing on a crosser is very different to an enduro as is the suspention set up.
Old 20-09-09, 09:13 PM   #8
Amplimator

whoa thats quite a can of worms!

it seems like although its possible its a fair bit of aggro and since ive never known DVLA to do things the easy way it'll prolly be best to just wait and get myself a road reg'd toy. thanx guys i appreciate all your input im off to browse bike trader and evilghey to see whats available
Old 20-09-09, 09:36 PM   #9
speedplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amplimator View Post
im off to browse bike trader and evilghey to see whats available
I just got my enduro off fleabay.
I did the dirty and offered him a pile of cash