SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-09-06, 09:22 AM   #1
Davido

Default LOTS of smoke

Was riding quite normally yesterday (No, really) and suddenly my bike coughed out an immense cloud of smoke. By the time I stopped it had filled the road with light white smoke.

So this leads me to think, have my piston/oil rings gone?

We left the bike to cool down for 15 minutes and everything was normal (no funny sounds) but as soon as I went to ride off the smoke came back. Not as much as before, but still a little worrying.

I've been advised to go through the usual hassle of compression testing, checking plugs etc to see which cylinder may be the faulty one, but I'd just want to know what you all think?

Also Once you pull the plug cap out from inside the cylinders, is the sparky inside it or still in the cylinder? I'm new to SV fiddling, so I'm a tad confused. Its a little different than my old Aprilia.

Cheers again.
Old 25-09-06, 09:40 AM   #2
21QUEST
Mega Poster

It might have something to do with all the NOT normal riding

Ok not much help but I'm sure someone will be around in a moment to do a proper diagnosis.

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-06, 09:47 AM   #3
Davido

Hehe, cheers. Very insightful.

Forgot to mention the oil level was very slightly overfilled, which is why I'm thinking it may have popped an oil seal somewhere.

Ran the bike a few minutes ago and the smoke level isn't drastic but its still coming out reasonably thick. I'll whip up a vid for you to see.
Old 25-09-06, 09:58 AM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Re: LOTS of smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davido
Also Once you pull the plug cap out from inside the cylinders, is the sparky inside it or still in the cylinder? I'm new to SV fiddling, so I'm a tad confused. Its a little different than my old Aprilia.
The plug's screwed into the head- you need to pull the lead, then unscrew the plug.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-06, 10:51 AM   #5
PeterM

White smoke eh? Couple of things to do, check the oil for signs of contamination. If there is any milkiness to it then things are not looking good. Do the comp test as well.

White smoke is often associated with a blown head gasket, not nice.
Old 25-09-06, 11:29 AM   #6
kwak zzr

try keeping the front wheel on the ground davido looks like you may be on engine number 2.
Old 25-09-06, 11:29 AM   #7
Davido

Had a little go down my road and the smoke is now almost completely gone, just a few little whisps of regular fumes (like you get when warming the bike up) so now I'm hoping that maybe the piston had become flooded with oil and was burning it off?

Feeling a little better about the issue now, but still a little dubious as things don't normally tend to fix themselves.

Still will check the plugs when I can screw them out, do you need a special tool to take them out, or can you do it with something like plyers?

Cheers.
Old 25-09-06, 11:32 AM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

If you've got the toolkit, there's a plug wrench in there. It and the c-spanner are the only tools in teh kit worth having. Don't try pliars... The "official" tool is the way to go, trying to do it with a generic plug wrench is a hassle on teh front plug.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-06, 11:34 AM   #9
kwak zzr

has the bike been on its side at all davido?
Old 25-09-06, 11:43 AM   #10
Davido

Nope, never been laid down or tipped enough to touch the bungs. Touched one of my pegs, but I doubt that's the cause.

Can someone post a pic of the sparky tool? I'd like to have a quick look at the plugs. Check if they're still white and not covered in burnt crud.

As for the oil, it looks like the standard colour/thickness through the window, but I won't dump it to check until I get some more.

Luckily I've still got my original engine with 99% perfect parts (except the crank) so I could swap the head gaskets pretty quickly.