SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-04-15, 05:55 PM   #11
JonSV

Default Re: Pirelli SC's and tyre warmers

Interesting topic this. I dropped my pressures a few psi for my last trackday to 30 front and 32 rear when cold and both tyres ended looking like this. Not too bad I guess, but I maybe need to drop pressure a little further? They were much worse on the previous trackday despite riding slower.

I think tyres warmers should be banned from trackdays unless there are power sockets available - the continuous generater noise drives me mad. The riders with slicks and warmers and in the novice group make me laugh though!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (130.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-04-15, 07:24 AM   #12
speedyandypandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSV View Post
Interesting topic this. I dropped my pressures a few psi for my last trackday to 30 front and 32 rear when cold and both tyres ended looking like this. Not too bad I guess, but I maybe need to drop pressure a little further? They were much worse on the previous trackday despite riding slower.

I think tyres warmers should be banned from trackdays unless there are power sockets available - the continuous generater noise drives me mad. The riders with slicks and warmers and in the novice group make me laugh though!
Yes, your hot pressures for the front should be around what you just wrote, but always check with the spec sheet, but an educated guess would be around 30-31 front and 29-30 rear, always lower rear pressure.
Some rear tyres (D212) has a 'hard' rubber carcass, and should be around 20psi hot, so checking your spec sheet is important.

Tyre warmers for novices are "head voodoo" helps confidence, but more than likely hot tyre temp is lower after a outing than going out.

For info, I dabble in race weekends and trackdays, I change my tyres myself, and balance them myself. And bring along laminated spec sheets for all my different tyres.
Old 02-04-15, 02:20 PM   #13
petro53

So I'm a bit confused. It looks like the SP is the road version and SC are track. The reason I believe this is that the SC tyres are only sold by track vendors in the US. It also looks like the SC's are harder to get compared to the SP's here in the UK. Are the SP's more forgiving? Meaning that I should get the same steering and roll feel? In other words since I am a novice and don't want to tear up tyres from the lack of knowledge about them, would it be moire cost effective to run the SP's for a while till I get faster. Or am I just over thinking this.
petro53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-15, 04:15 PM   #14
speedyandypandy

No you're on the ball, keep going...
I'm out-of-date on the Pirellis(3 last seasons on Dunlop/Michelin beacuse of price), but I'm sure if you're not knee scraping and sideways out of corners the DIABLO ROSSO CORSA will be enough to take you up to most advanced/fast groups.
Old 02-04-15, 04:34 PM   #15
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by petro53 View Post
So I'm a bit confused. It looks like the SP is the road version and SC are track. The reason I believe this is that the SC tyres are only sold by track vendors in the US. It also looks like the SC's are harder to get compared to the SP's here in the UK. Are the SP's more forgiving? Meaning that I should get the same steering and roll feel? In other words since I am a novice and don't want to tear up tyres from the lack of knowledge about them, would it be moire cost effective to run the SP's for a while till I get faster. Or am I just over thinking this.
Yes you're right, SP are for road. (The poster above that stated R1's & 1298's sic came on SC was confused.)
If you're not in the fast group I would consider selling the SC's & buying something more suitable, like any sports road tyre. (M7RR, Sportssmart, Rosso Corsa, S20 etc.)
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-15, 05:34 PM   #16
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
If you're not in the fast group I would consider selling the SC's & buying something more suitable, like any sports road tyre. (M7RR, Sportssmart, Rosso Corsa, S20 etc.)
I think that would rather depend on the state of the SC's. If they came with the bike are they scrubs (already been used)? If so you won't get enough for them to cover buying alternative new rubber so just ride on them and worry about what to buy when you have to, given by then you will have a whole lot more experience upon which to base your decision.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 12:36 PM   #17
wideguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by petro53 View Post
If you aren't using them hard enough, race compound tires won't heat up enough to grip well, so it's possible for a novice track rider to have less available grip from race tires than from street sport tires. Modern street sport tires, especially dual or triple compounds, will allow you to drag your pegs on the track in pretty fast turns. If you aren't doing that, you don't need race compound tires.
You can lower the tire pressures on your race tires to make them heat up at a slower pace, but they might start to feel squirmy under braking and acceleration at the low pressures. If you do run them, watch for signs of cold shearing or overheating, try to be smooth on the throttle and smooth on turn ins and transitions and don't just snatch the brakes full on. That's good advice anyway.
Old 03-04-15, 01:47 PM   #18
petro53

You just hit the crux of it for me. I'm sure at my current pace the tyres would actually cool, off the warmers. So again the SP's seem more appropriate for now. So I have one pair of Scrubs (not mounted) and a new pair that is currently on the bike. I think I should sell/trade the new pair for a set of SP's. Then I'll keep the scrubs for when I get faster. Again, Thanks for the imput.
petro53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 03:45 PM   #19
nutzboutbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyandypandy View Post
No you're on the ball, keep going...
I'm out-of-date on the Pirellis(3 last seasons on Dunlop/Michelin beacuse of price), but I'm sure if you're not knee scraping and sideways out of corners the DIABLO ROSSO CORSA will be enough to take you up to most advanced/fast groups.

+1
The Rosso Corsa's are a great tyre, I use them on trackdays in the intermediate group.