SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 27-03-19, 07:36 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default EU regulations in the pipeline

Article 13 has passed - internet copyright law. I think it's supposed to ensure that the owner of the work gets paid and stop people using their work without permission which sounds good in theory. It requires companies like Google to have filters to block copyrighted material but the filters currently don't work. It will certainly affect the way the 'net works and most articles I've read don't see it as a good thing (or even workable). They have exempted memes and gifs.

Vehicle speed limiters from 2022 - the rules have been provisionally agreed. UK campaigners want it applied to the UK too, assuming we are out of the EU by then (start writing to your MP now).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47715415
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-19, 07:53 AM   #2
Kenzie

Default Re: EU regulations in the pipeline

Surely if people don't want the speed limiting tech then they simply won't buy new cars?

Sent from my Xperia using Tapatalk
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-19, 10:43 AM   #3
graham04

2 years to buy a car without a speed restriction, bikes next. All those worthless Ferrari's , might as well have a simple electric box on wheels. Doesn't bare thinking about. I will keep the SV and give it an extra oil change.....
graham04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-19, 11:33 AM   #4
Seeker
Mega Poster

I read on another site that if you press the accelerator hard it overrides the system which makes sense on one hand but defeats the object on the other, although there will be a recorder to monitor how you were driving. It will also enforce 30/40/50 speed limits via GPS and road sign recognition. This should be entertaining.
Old 27-03-19, 12:15 PM   #5
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I read the same about being able to override it. I guess it is to prevent people going 35-40 in a 30, for example, and speed creeping up without being noticed. We all know there is more to safety than speed but in town it's a risk factor in terms of both severity and likelihood.
Before we start on the whole Brexit thing again, remember that the vast majority of regs were voted for by our own governments. We are not an island fighting against the might of the EU and being railroaded! That moron Farage and the others wouldn't let you think that though.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-19, 01:45 PM   #6
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

It's interesting when my built in Satnav with live maps tells me I'm on a 70 dual when the speed has been permanently lowered to 50.

I've had it the other way as well. Is the technology there for it to work properly?

It mentions an option of doing a full switch off. I know this is available as an anti theft device in some American (pretty sure it was American) trucks, the theory being that if it were stolen and in a safe place, the truck could be shut down. My brother was looking at distributing a similar system over here, the police would be able to control the scene then send the stop message to the truck and it would power down and come to a controlled stop.

This was deemed to be unsafe for thousands of trucks - but could be OK for millions of cars?
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-19, 05:42 PM   #7
Talking Heads

Another example of UK news media writing misleading propaganda to influence public opinion against the EU.
"Speed limiters" isn't what the EU proposals are about at all.
What is proposed is to have a system in place which alerts the driver if the speed limit is exceeded.
Such a system is already fitted in many new cars.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...peed-1.3840046
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-19, 06:43 PM   #8
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
Another example of UK news media writing misleading propaganda to influence public opinion against the EU.
What is proposed is to have a system in place which alerts the driver if the speed limit is exceeded.
Such a system is already fitted in many new cars.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...peed-1.3840046
Trouble is, too many folk are happy to swallow the bullsh1t3 pumped out by certain sections of the media. People just love having someone to hate.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-19, 08:11 PM   #9
Talking Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
People just love having someone to hate.
Hence Brexit.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-19, 08:30 PM   #10
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
This is being reported worldwide not just in the UK and the proposal for the EU General Safety Regulation did include speed limiting devices. However industry said that the technology was not ready yet so the proposal was changed to a warning system with the speed limiting devices being introduced when available.

Here's a fact sheet on the EU GSR from Feb2019:

https://www.acea.be/news/article/fac...ation-revision