SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-08-05, 04:30 PM   #1
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Default Where can you lose oil from?

Can oil be lost from places such as the front sprocket shaft, gear change shaft etc....

Just wondering as mine lost lots in the 1000 miles from England to Spain, but it is not smoking from the exhaust and hasn't lost any power.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-05, 04:39 PM   #2
jonboy

I also lose oil but it's from behind the starter motor and Sid Squid reckons there might be a small breech of the crankcase seal. Have you checked there?

Old 10-08-05, 05:38 PM   #3
RandyO

Default Re: Where can you loose oil from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM
Can oil be lost from places such as the front sprocket shaft, gear change shaft etc....

Just wandering as mine lost lots in 1000 miles from england to spain, but it is not smoking from the exhaust or lost any power.
how much is "lots"
Old 10-08-05, 05:57 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

I've got an on/off leak from the clutch cover... And I had one from the clutch countershaft as well. There's loasd of places it can get out, but most of them will leave a snail trail so you can figure ouit where it's coming from. Does it drop oil when parked up? One thing I notice with the clutch cover one was that it only leaked while vertical- so it didn't drop any when it was on the sidestand.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-05, 06:02 PM   #5
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

lots = enough, 1000 miles, from 2/3 full to not showing when level but still some oil if you tip the bike over from level.

No oil on under the bike except from the front sprocket which i think is the scottoiler oil.

Could it be because the 1000 miles was in 2 days with the bike running much at 70-90 mph all day long in very hot conditions.

I had to wait in spain for a couple of hours till the local bike shop opened to get some oil otherwise the extra 600 miles i did in the last day could have distroyed the engine.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Old 10-08-05, 06:09 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

Hum. If it were me, I'd pop it on a stand and run it in gear for a while, see if anything drops off... Or clean the engine, take it for a blast with the scottoiler switched off, then look and see if there's any snail trails afterwards.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-05, 02:31 AM   #7
RandyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM
lots = enough, 1000 miles, from 2/3 full to not showing when level but still some oil if you tip the bike over from level.

No oil on under the bike except from the front sprocket which i think is the scottoiler oil.

Could it be because the 1000 miles was in 2 days with the bike running much at 70-90 mph all day long in very hot conditions.

I had to wait in spain for a couple of hours till the local bike shop opened to get some oil otherwise the extra 600 miles i did in the last day could have distroyed the engine.
sounds like about ½ litre to me, that's not really a lot, keep an eye on your level and carry a litre with you, a lot is when youe see blue smoke and you have to add a half litre every tank of gas
Old 11-08-05, 08:52 AM   #8
Saint Matt

Just figured out where mine's leaking from (i think), its leaking from the rear rocker cover gasket. It hasnt lost that much, but its worrying!
Old 11-08-05, 11:15 AM   #9
Jase22

My SV has what appears to be a slight leak, but I wasn't sure whether it's how they've been designed.

Seems to leak from around the front sprocket area, perhaps the overflow, not a lot of oil though as I've hardly lost any and it's almost at the service interval. It's quite handy that it leaks there, seems to lube the chain nicely with no need for a Scottoiler!!! ha ha.

Does anyone else get this thoughtful self-lubricating treatment from their bike?
Old 12-08-05, 03:57 PM   #10
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyO
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM

sounds like about ½ litre to me, that's not really a lot, keep an eye on your level and carry a litre with you, a lot is when youe see blue smoke and you have to add a half litre every tank of gas
Went and checked how much of the 4 litre bottle i used, only about 1/2 - 3/4 litre as you correcty said. Not that much then for the 1000 miles then in boiling heat.

Will keep an eye on it though.