SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-08-17, 04:56 PM   #1061
Mega Poster

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SVS View Post
Bikes off for headstock bearing replacement, I don't have the equipment to have a go at it myself
You don't have a 12mm & 32mm socket and a castle nut? Along with a rear stand AND something to keep the front end in the air? AMATEUR!!

For anyone else looking to do headstock bearings, if you're in the south...gimme a shout, I have all the above and more. Would rather help and show you how to do it than read about you spending £xxx's on some spanner monkey doing it for you (and likely torquing things wrong, not giving a **** about your bike, etc)
Old 18-08-17, 04:59 PM   #1062
Mega Poster

Recently I've done the following:

Stripped down, cleaned and rebuilt and installed new calipers on my friends ER6N. Also installed an F4i master cylinder for him - he now has brakes!

Balanced carbs for a friends VFR750

I'll be installing a new clutch cable and perch for the chap with an ER6N soon as well. He basically bought a bike from his cousin that was in an almost unbelievable state of disrepair. He needs his fork seals doing as well, I've never done it before and he needs the bike to commute, so I'm a bit hesitant to attempt it in a single day, I'd like a couple in case anything goes tits up. Doesn't look too difficult though tbf!
Old 18-08-17, 05:35 PM   #1063
andy650

Fork seals are pretty easy, especially if RWU with no damping adjustment, as per the SV.

You will need a seal driver, dont try use anything else. I have a 43mm one you can borrow, it may work for slightly smaller forks.

Easily done in a day, if nothing goes wrong and you have everything you need. If high mileage, you may have to change the bushes as well.

For peace of mind use genuine oil seals, you can get away with aftermarket dust seals.

Last edited by andy650; 18-08-17 at 05:37 PM.
andy650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-17, 06:21 PM   #1064
Chris_SVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 View Post
You don't have a 12mm & 32mm socket and a castle nut? Along with a rear stand AND something to keep the front end in the air? AMATEUR!!

For anyone else looking to do headstock bearings, if you're in the south...gimme a shout, I have all the above and more. Would rather help and show you how to do it than read about you spending £xxx's on some spanner monkey doing it for you (and likely torquing things wrong, not giving a **** about your bike, etc)
I have the 12/32mm sockets, more paddock stands than I have bikes but no front end lifting device. I feel suitably ashamed.

Only cost me £100

Tinker: Garmin zumo cradle fitted and wired to one of Bibio's gadgets today and paired with headset/phone etc etc for music and directions.

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 18-08-17 at 06:23 PM.
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-17, 07:46 PM   #1065
aj76

Re set the spark plug gap within specs and bike rides like a different machine now

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
aj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-17, 07:48 PM   #1066
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SVS View Post
more paddock stands than I have bikes

Tinker: Garmin zumo cradle fitted and wired to one of Bibio's gadgets today and paired with headset/phone etc etc for music and directions.
sell/give away the paddock stands and get yerself an abba stand with the front end kit, you will never go back to paddock stands again

nice to see you got a use for the gizmo
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-17, 08:07 PM   #1067
Chris_SVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
sell/give away the paddock stands and get yerself an abba stand with the front end kit, you will never go back to paddock stands again

nice to see you got a use for the gizmo
All in good time, christmas is coming 😀 Gizmo is great, have a 12v socket in dash surround for charging camera and the zumo 345.

Haven't decided what accessory 3 is possibly grips
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-17, 10:58 AM   #1068
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj76 View Post
Re set the spark plug gap within specs and bike rides like a different machine now

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Nice one.At the end of all the innovations and technology is a Spark plug/Spark plug Cap and a gap.If these go out of spec it can ruin a good day and are often overlooked
Old 19-08-17, 03:32 PM   #1069
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

I now have a rack and Givi plate on my Bonnie. In the seven weeks I've owned the bike I've missed my topbox. It's a little large (V46) but it will do the job and it matches well colour wise.
Old 22-08-17, 05:28 PM   #1070
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Just had the two connector blocks apart in the front right of the fairing, black one and yellow one. The lcd on the instrument panel was not coming on and sometimes the speedo would fail to register for a short while after riding off. Cleaned all the connectors with an emery board, dowsed it in switch cleaner and then ACF50. Put them back together and now the lcd is really clear where it had been pretty dim before. Result!
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote