SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-01-18, 09:40 AM   #1
Geodude
Mega Poster

Default Linear or progressive front springs?

I know there are loads of threads on this but most are old and I wanted an up to date answer on linear or progressive springs

99 sv650N with rider weight of 12-13 stone in birthday suit (varies when homebrew is available ) so what's my options (no high cost options please as I'm always skint) and where do I buy them?

I'm not a fast or hard rider and don't do track days and have had my sv for 8 years and never changed fork oil or stripped them so have no idea what's inside them yet until I open them up. So I'm gathering info for when I do. The reason I'm looking into it all is the dust seals are being pushed out by rust so will need to look into that anyway.

Thanks in advance

xGx

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-18, 10:00 AM   #2
ophic
Mega Poster

Default Re: Linear or progressive front springs?

Mostly smelly grey water on the inside, I would guess.

Simply stripping them and replacing the oil with something heavier will make a difference and is fairly easy and cheap to do, although takes a bit of time. I followed a guide by Delboy's Garage on youtube and I followed his suggestion of using bits of PVC pipe tools and they seem to work pretty well. I made it even cheaper by using a hosepipe clip rather than his hefty bracket.

Half the job is getting the bike securely supported with the front off the ground.

Replacements springs are easy to fit once you've got them apart but aren't that cheap unless you can source them 2nd hand. Linear or progressive is down to personal preference, except that if you want to fit emulators, you have to use linear. Stock are progressive, I think.
Old 30-01-18, 11:28 AM   #3
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Like Ophic says just change the Fork oil for some medium weight Fork oil usually sold as 15w.I hover around the same weight as you and the front forks on my SV are way better than on my old Honda 500s so I've no intention of changing them or the springs to date.I ride fast sometimes and also on,"Goat Track" small country roads.

The difference to my Front suspension on my Old Hondas moving from the crappy ATF that they used in the 80s to 15w fork oil made the machines corner like they were on rails and gave a fantastic feeling of security when riding.I suspect the Fork oil in my SV650 has been changed to 15w Fork oil.

As I've no complaints with their performance at the moment I'm not intending to change the Fork oil for now but by experience know when I will have to and will use 15W/Medium fork oil.It's a common cheap upgrade on the US forums

When I need to do the job I've already bought a Front paddock stand/lifter which I also use to service my Front brakes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Pro-...IAAOSwB9hZ4Nge

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 30-01-18 at 11:35 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-18, 11:47 AM   #4
ophic
Mega Poster

My paddock stand clips my fairing.

Shouldn't be an issue on a naked bike though.
Old 30-01-18, 11:54 AM   #5
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
My paddock stand clips my fairing.

Shouldn't be an issue on a naked bike though.
Cool

These devices make servicing a joy and not a chore IMHO.I've had my pads off twice since last April when I put my SV on the road as I like to keep my pads de-glazed and ultra clean and lube the calipers/pistons etc.

Simple maintenance saves hassle and money in the long run
Old 30-01-18, 02:02 PM   #6
Markylemin

+1 to that. I have exactly the same stand.
I'm sure my fork oil is looooong overdue replacement too.
Old 30-01-18, 02:06 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

linier springs.

hardest part is taking the damper rod bolt out the bottom and a windy gun is recommended.

remove mudguard and callipers.

remove front wheel.

loosen just the top pinch bolts on the yoke.

loosen the fork caps.

loosen each lower yoke pinch bolts then remove each leg one at a time.

lift the dust seal out the way then remove the retaining springs for the seals.

get some newspaper and lay it out on a bench.

remove the top fork caps and take the springs and washers out then put them on the newspaper then empty the oil out.

take the damper rod bolts out.

grasp the stanchion and lower fork leg and using force slide the stanchion up against the seals like using a 'slide hammer' till the seals pop out with the stanchion and the two parts of the fork are separated.

take the damper rod out then take it to your local welder and ask them to weld up the tiny holes at the top of the damper rod. dress the welds.

lay your new springs next to the old ones and measure the difference in length and if there is then cut the top spacer down to accommodate the new spring length.

when assembling use silkolene RSF pro 10w oil. pour 500ml into each leg and pump the stanchions up and down a good few times then set oil height (without springs in) to 97mm.

Last edited by Bibio; 30-01-18 at 02:09 PM.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-18, 04:10 PM   #8
embee
Mega Poster

Best thing I ever did for my curvy was fit new linear springs. The stock springs were too soft even for my 12st. I fitted 0.85kg/mm (8.5N/mm) from http://www.ktechsuspension.com/
They are very helpful, worth a phone call. They even offered to exchange them for a different rate if I didn't like them. Not cheap at around £80 odd (a few years ago) but excellent value for money mod, stops the sogginess.
I'd second the recommendation for Fuchs/Silkolene RSF fork oil (now called "Maintain" RSF, used to be called PRO RSF). Personally I use their 7.5W which according to the table here http://www.peterverdone.com/archive/lowspeed.htm is very comparable to most 10W oils (35cSt). With the right springs you don't need to try to fudge the system by putting thicker oil in (which doesn't fix the real problem anyway, which is the soft springs).
Emulators are a nice mod, but frankly you'll get most of the advantage simply by getting the appropriate springs with some fresh oil. Tuning the emulator discs and valve spring rate/preload is another set of questions altogether.
Old 30-01-18, 05:05 PM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

7.5w is my recommendation if your going to mix it with some 20w to get the rebound set correctly but thats for people who want it 'spot on'. given the amount of forks i have done the 10w is pretty near the ball park for most folks. its rebound you need to concentrate on rather than compression. without welding up the rebound bleed holes on the dampers you need to go up to 15-20w which completely messes with the compression and turns the forks like steel rods instead of suspension.

why weld the rebound bleed holes.. due to the SV check valves leaking like a sieve.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-18, 09:26 PM   #10
Geodude
Mega Poster

Thanks for replies Hmm seems a bit too complicated for me to do and I wasn't planning on having to strip them to pieces, more like just putting oil and springs in as I don't have a leak or anything other than a bit of rust pushing up the dust seal a bit. Might just leave them alone as ive neither the skill or funds

Cheers all

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote