SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-03-10, 03:52 PM   #1
startrek.steve

Default Look what the cops are up to in East Yorkshire

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.c...l/article.html

Not very nice huh?

Steve
Old 26-03-10, 04:07 PM   #2
Amanda

Default Re: Look what the cops are up to in East Yorkshire

Hmmmm ... is it not nice because of the way they are getting caught or that they are getting caught full stop??

I was done for speeding once. I was speeding, I was caught .... simples!!!

I guess the only difference here is a bikers competitive nature. Sometimes, if you see a bike approaching from behind pretty fast it encourages you to go faster?? Not always but sometimes. I presume the police would only follow if they were sure the biker was speeding in the first place. Also if you don't see anyone other than another bike you might be lulled into a false sense of security of "getting away with it" when its a rozzer all along?
Old 26-03-10, 04:10 PM   #3
Gabriel2k

My issue with this is the police bike is unmarked, therefore the police could be construed as encouraging dangerous riding as the rider might see them as "egging" them on.

There was an article in the local paper recently about an unmarked police bike following a Rider down the A21, the guy thought the police rider was just another biker and because he kept on his **** thought he was "egging" him on and having fun and therefore pushed the limits even more.

Surely this is very much like entrapment?
Old 26-03-10, 04:13 PM   #4
Amanda

Yep! I understand and absolutely agree. They would have to be 100% certain you were speeding before they started following you BUT they have to follow you to get video evidence so would be interested how they get the evidence with the entrapment allegation?
Old 26-03-10, 04:15 PM   #5
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

It's not entrapment, not even close...
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-10, 04:22 PM   #6
Jdubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel2k View Post
My issue with this is the police bike is unmarked, therefore the police could be construed as encouraging dangerous riding as the rider might see them as "egging" them on.

There was an article in the local paper recently about an unmarked police bike following a Rider down the A21, the guy thought the police rider was just another biker and because he kept on his **** thought he was "egging" him on and having fun and therefore pushed the limits even more.

Surely this is very much like entrapment?
No mate, you have it all wrong! You wanna play then you play, but you do so at your own risk fully accepting the consequences. No-one eggs anyone on. You control the throttle and you decide whether or not to open or close it...
Old 26-03-10, 04:25 PM   #7
missyburd

Quote:
Bikers make up just one per cent of motorists.
Is the percentage really that low? Can't be right surely.

Anyway the solution is simple, just don't overtake Hayabusas...not that it's likely you will anyway, unless the undercover policeman riding it is deliberately going at snails pace just to provoke a reaction...

And there's only one to be wary of. At the moment.
Old 26-03-10, 04:29 PM   #8
slark01

Read the article and the funny comments.
Don't speed and don't be egged on by anyone....no speeding fine and no loss of licence. Simples

Duh
Ste.
Old 26-03-10, 04:33 PM   #9
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Don't see a problem myself, if you get caught speeding then so be it, you know the risks when you open the throttle (car or bike).

As for being 'egged' on, well, if that's how you ride then you need to take a look at that I reckon. Everyone has a duty of care to everyone else.
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-10, 04:35 PM   #10
Bri w

County Durham's policing policies revolve around education and are done in more of a partnership style.

They'll stop you for speeding but they are reasonable about it.. The 2nd time you are stopped its viewed as you didn't listen or learn so you get done.

Also, they don't have, or didn't up to the end of last year, any fixed speed cameras at all. They're view being if you know the route you will slow down for 30yds then carry on at whatever speed you like. The money the save on speed cameras goes into road safety education

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote