SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-04-17, 09:40 AM   #1
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Home cctv

What is the org opinion of home CCTV.

My setup was not expensive and I only have cameras outside covering the drive and rear gardens/house plus in the garage. But should they be overt or covert?

Are they a deterrent? Or would a no good seeing them in place decide to change their route to attempt to avoid them. Assuming you are now advertising you have something to protect.
Old 20-04-17, 10:39 AM   #2
embee
Mega Poster

Default Re: Home cctv

I believe in overt. I have warning stickers on the door and windows which any scrotes should see. Hopefully this would encourage them to go elsewhere. What's the point in getting broken into and then being able to produce a pic/vid of who dunnit? Rather not get broken into in the first place. YMMV
Old 20-04-17, 12:40 PM   #3
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
I believe in overt. I have warning stickers on the door and windows which any scrotes should see.
Make sure it's written in pictures as well as words if you want them to be legally enforceable. Some scrotes claim they can't read, you see.
Old 20-04-17, 04:19 PM   #4
Red ones
Mega Poster

I'd say overt. Use it as a deterrent first, then as a way of collecting evidence second.

The rules on domestic installation are more relaxed than for those covering public spaces.
Think about the following questions before getting a CCTV system:

Why do I need CCTV?
Could I use another means to protect my home, such as improved lighting?
What do I want my CCTV camera to view and record? (this could be the front door, a parking space, the back yard, a shed etc)
Where will I position the CCTV to ensure minimal intrusion in to my neighbour’s and other people’s privacy?
Will the range of the cameras overlook my neighbour’s property, pavements and other areas? (if so, consider ways to reduce intrusion such as using privacy filters)
How will my neighbours feel about my CCTV?

I would recommend speaking to the neighbours first (but if it's them that you think you are protecting yourself from then I would simply use signage)

You need to make sure the equipment is only used for the purpose of protection of property (not sharing on social media, or watching that young thing across the street)

Make sure the date and time on the recordings are accurate - this affects the admissibility of records as evidence and you can only hold recordings long enough for the purpose of protection of your property and then have to delete the records. You are responsible for keeping the recordings secure.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-17, 07:56 PM   #5
DJ123
Mega Poster

Key thing to keep in mind is the quality of the camera. Lots of cameras show images, but when it comes to identifying a number plate or a face very few will show clarity. A DVR is generic, so long as you have a good HDD (Western Digital do a Purple series surveillance which are made to last) & quality cameras it will come to fruition if you ever need to rely on what it's seen.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote