SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 07-06-08, 09:45 PM   #1
Demonz

Default Bike Share?

So I've booked myself and my little brother in for Rockingham on the 5th of July. Its his first track day so novice and I've booked inters.

I am planning to share the Tuono with him for the day. Other than one of us crashing and ruining both of our days I cant think of any other problems with this. Anyone see any other issues?

Other options was thinking are to hire a bike for the day - costly though ...
Old 07-06-08, 09:52 PM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bike Share?

I've done this in the past and do bear in mind a couple of things.

Firstly, one of you well be out on track when the call to form up for the next group goes out, so will need to get in sharpish all the time.

second, the bike will take a fair old pounding during the day, so watch the temp and oil levels.

third, consumables, don't forget you'll go through twice as much brake wear, and over twice as much tyre wear ( they won't have the same chance to cool during the day).

But short of that it should be OK, I've not tried it since the shakeup of trackdays some years back, but have you cleared it with them ?

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 11:24 PM   #3
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
I've done this in the past and do bear in mind a couple of things.

Firstly, one of you well be out on track when the call to form up for the next group goes out, so will need to get in sharpish all the time.
Unless it's a 4 session trackday? but just ride to the queue rather than the garage
Quote:

second, the bike will take a fair old pounding during the day, so watch the temp and oil levels.

third, consumables, don't forget you'll go through twice as much brake wear, and over twice as much tyre wear ( they won't have the same chance to cool during the day)..
Is that not better for the tyres minimising heat cycles
Quote:

But short of that it should be OK, I've not tried it since the shakeup of trackdays some years back, but have you cleared it with them ?

Cheers Mark.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 12:55 AM   #4
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Is that not better for the tyres minimising heat cycles
Heat-cycles aren't really the issue (as it'll make very little difference), tyrewear is greater once they are up to temperature as they work better (and part of that is the wear), in this case the tyres will spend a greater deal of the time at that temperature.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 08:08 AM   #5
Skip
Mega Poster

A mate and I shared a steely CBR600 for a couple of Snetterton days last year - him in the inters me in the novice group. Definitely watch the tyres as my mate had a couple of "moments" where we think they overheated (sporty road tyres) - other than that make sure you sling some fuel in regularly - we didnt and nearly didnt make it back to the pits during one session!
Old 10-06-08, 01:07 PM   #6
Fizzy Fish

I shared my SV at a trackday before, and it worked fine - I came off the track and straight to the holding area as the next group was about to head out. Felt a bit sorry for the bike, but it seemed to cope OK!

+1 on it being harder to keep fuelled up though
Old 11-06-08, 10:54 AM   #7
Demonz

Thanks for the comments. All sweet with Hottrax so should be fine on the day. Will take a couple of jerry cans for fuel. My bros running after me so at least the tyres will be warm for him
Old 11-06-08, 12:55 PM   #8
weazelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoGrant View Post
Thanks for the comments. All sweet with Hottrax so should be fine on the day. Will take a couple of jerry cans for fuel. My bros running after me so at least the tyres will be warm for him
depends whether they do fast-first or fast-last, he might be warming the tyres up for you