SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Pennine Massive For those readers based up north.

Old 16-08-10, 01:28 PM   #41
startrek.steve

Default Re: A PM bid for AR11

I might possibly be able to attend an AR in yorkshire!!

Steve
Old 16-08-10, 02:27 PM   #42
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBrad View Post
first camsite seems nice but if its been used before i would think we should find an alternate?
You need to have read of the main thread in Idle banter as the org has been discussing things over the weekend as a collective Andy.

It was a lonnnnnnng time ago, and unfortunately was plagued by rain.

There ain't any sites I've looked at so far, within the area, that can fit all of our org needs under one roof, and have the option of seperate B&Bs in the village further down the road for those needing them.
If you look at the Border Patrol option for instance, they are looking to go back to the site from AR06. This one is the only solid rival proposal so far.

If you look at the Idle banter thread, there has been some suggestion that seeing as though we have a few tried and tested sites under our collective belt, that perhaps rotating through these would be a viable thought, which is why I have gone for this one....if only to try again and get better weather for a start! Back then there was only around 40 attendees.

I have also now got Smudgepants entertainment services on board, and we are looking at sewing in entertainment in the evenings, as he has good contacts. This will be a first for an AR, it may be a good idea, it also may not.
All these things will be dealt with in time, also be put to the site owners on Wednesday. In the meantime, if my proposal isn't viable, MrPreston is looking at alternatives over his side of the border. The batman phone line has been red hot!
He also has other types of rather good contacts for a variety of options. All will be discussed within the next couple of weeks over copious amounts of tea, biscuits and cake

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 16-08-10 at 02:31 PM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-10, 02:40 PM   #43
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I don't see fuss. There's no such thing as a "dangerous road"

Hartside, passes, struggle etc. all people on ride have got license, they are allowed to and hopefully capable of riding every road in this fair land.

There is no such thing as a dangerous road, just dangerous riders!

This years AR even took in some roads with such things as sheep (omg!), bits of gravel (omg!) and hairpin bends (omg!!eleven!!!) and nobody died!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBrad View Post
(btw yc i must say top job on not scaring the **** outta me)
I must not have been trying hard enough

Nice of you to actually notice my presence rather than some others who were around similar location (in the fooking way!)
Old 16-08-10, 02:49 PM   #44
mattSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svste View Post
I have a feeling that they did the Hartside run in a previous South comes North a while backl.

Don't know how they managed it but I'll be seeing PBx this week and as he was something to do with it I'll get an idea off him for numbers etc,
We definitely did it on the first Norf/Sarf - there was only about 25 of us IIRC, we stopped in the village below and set off with about a few seconds gap in between so that Amarko could get a few pics of us each on the way up.

It was all going fine until someone threw their bike in the ditch.
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-10, 02:50 PM   #45
Irksy

Sorry YC I didnt mean to brake so hard!!!! lol
Old 16-08-10, 03:01 PM   #46
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
I don't see fuss. There's no such thing as a "dangerous road"

Hartside, passes, struggle etc. all people on ride have got license, they are allowed to and hopefully capable of riding every road in this fair land.

There is no such thing as a dangerous road, just dangerous riders!

This years AR even took in some roads with such things as sheep (omg!), bits of gravel (omg!) and hairpin bends (omg!!eleven!!!) and nobody died!

But when organising an event with such a large number of riders, you have to think out of the box rather than just your personal one. You have to cater for everyone.
I'm not disagreeing with you, because what you say is perfectly valid, I ride any road, I'll whinge about it after if I didn't like it as you know, but I'm slightly more experienced than some that may turn up on an AR, who would crash in a ditch on the same road.
ARs have a good safetly record, and I'd prefer to keep it that way, than expecting everyone to hoon around at the pace of someones personal preferences. AR rides are too big in number to do this anyway, which is why everyone in the org goes to local ones with smaller numbers to do that. The reason why this years rideout was successful(ye I know I wasn't there) is because there were people that were willing to go out, recce roads that suited everyone, and keep going out until it did.

Old 16-08-10, 03:02 PM   #47
timwilky
Mega Poster

Look people, when AR07 was proposed, our routes were rejected. The decision makers do not like routes they deem to be technically demanding. the problem with Hartside is that it will not cope with people trying to ride it at their own pace. Remember there would probably be 100 bikes, you need to ensure separation so that nobody is on top of each other in the twisty bits otherwise somebody is going to come a cropper.

I have had discussions with the AR people in the past and again this year, the message is the route has to be ridable for all. I certainly would not want to be on hartside or any of the passes with somebody I did not know or suspected they were going to run wide on a turn as I overtook etc.
Old 16-08-10, 03:13 PM   #48
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Anyway.

I put up this thread to try and muster up proposals for venues in our lovely part of the world.
Discussing Hartside and large groups is not helping with our bid to get other folks from other areas to come to an AR here, all it looks like is that the Pennine Massive like to argue.

SO as I was the OP of the thread, I'd like to ask kindly and politely, that this thread be kept for 'solid proposals' of venues from our large area.
IF talks of roads and routes carry on other forum members looking in aren't going to take us seriously....and I for one would prefer this not to be the case. My proposal is a serious one, and I am doing leg work to get people to come to an AR here, so please, stand with me here, as it would be kind of nice for us to come together on this and get it in the bag.
If we are successful...then and only then should roads, routes and other things be looked at

Many thanks.

Old 16-08-10, 03:26 PM   #49
AndyBrad

Aye all fair and valid points.

Im reading throught he idle banter one dizz, slowly tho

Chris. Yea i know what your saying in respect to there are no dangerous roads only dangerous riders? As you say some people were "in your way" im sure you saw some people taking some silly risks (i certainly did, imo) The fact that the AR so far in incident free is amazing imo. Despite it being a social thing some people decide to do the ride "thair way" with little consideration for others. As tim says can you imagine the carnage up heartside if we all went up it as a one-er? possible yes but as we have already ruled out staggering groups it falls to the responcibility of the people organising it to try and make it as safe as possible?

I for one would love to have a technically demanding route as i dont like the high speed stuff (wrong hobby maybe? ) and i would love to have it round here. There were some good roads from the carlsberg rideout imo. I would suggest if the numbers are large (as expected) we could keep the speed down and the views up and go for the passes? It would have to be respectfully lead though and people made aware its not a thrash? Still there arepeople on here that know our good land a lot better than i so please just take my thourghts as what they are, passing thourghts and such.

I have had a quick look and as you say dizz theres a lot of factors to consider witht he site location. Im struggleing to fill all of them and one which came close was about 18 quid a night with no bar or hardstanding! feck!
Old 16-08-10, 03:28 PM   #50
AndyBrad

sorry dizz. Let me know if i can help.