SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 25-03-16, 11:40 AM   #521
Kenzie

Default Re: Vintage film cameras

Will keep trying. Have misplaced the small screw driver I need to get the focus grub screws undone. I have cocked the shutter and put the blades back on and they look right. However, when fired the shutter doesn't return to this position. Still no clue on how to put the Fuji Auto M back together.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-16, 03:04 PM   #522
Kenzie

Found my screwdriver. Managed to get the rest of it apart. Have given it a good hose down in lighter fluid and it seems to have freed something off. Will give it a couple more cleans and try putting it back together. I think it has something to do with the slow speed mechanism getting stuck.
Old 28-03-16, 03:03 PM   #523
yokohama

I've spent a wet monday going through some of my late father's stuff.
There's what seems to be a German made Agfa Billy Record. 1930s?? It looks to be ok. Timer and shutter work
Also an Ilford Dacora dignette. This one too looks ok and the shutter mechanism works. Both come with cases.
I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules re advertising but if any photography buff on here is interested before they go on ebay, send me a pm.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-16, 08:17 PM   #524
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Hi yoko, sorry didn't see your post till now. It's worth putting these on the B setting and doing the flashlight test. With the shutter open, shine a torch through, and see how clean the lenses are. Look from the side not direct in or all you'll see is a lot of light! If they look good then put that in the ads because there are a lot of grubby cameras out there, and ads with very little info.

Speaking of the bay of pigs, seen item 281987466687, interested Kenzie/anyone?
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-16, 05:59 AM   #525
Kenzie

Tempting but I have just had a blow out on cameras. Just picked up a Fujia GE, a Olympus Pen and an Argus C3. Just fired off some shots with the AE-1 with the lens I just picked up as it is foggy this morning. The light was just about right so hoping they come out ok.
Old 01-04-16, 10:06 AM   #526
yokohama

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
Hi yoko, sorry didn't see your post till now. It's worth putting these on the B setting and doing the flashlight test. With the shutter open, shine a torch through, and see how clean the lenses are. Look from the side not direct in or all you'll see is a lot of light! If they look good then put that in the ads because there are a lot of grubby cameras out there, and ads with very little info.

Speaking of the bay of pigs, seen item 281987466687, interested Kenzie/anyone?
Thanks for the above info; it's a useful thing to know. I've a lens cleaning kit somewhere so I can use that to give me a better idea of the condition of the glass. I guess the only way to check is to put a film in and see what comes out but I'm not sure I'd ever get round to doing that.
Old 01-04-16, 11:30 AM   #527
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Don't clean any of the glass except with a bit of HAAAAAAAA breath and a soft cloth, even then I would only touch the front glass for now till you've tried it with a torch. If there is any fungus or grot it's likely to be inside anyway.

If the Dignette has a meter then you can check it for accuracy - or if it is a selenium one (no batteries) for any life at all. most of them that had cases tended to survive - the more use they got (light falling on them) the quicker they died. Even if you just compare it to the Sunny f16 rule you can get an idea of accuracy.

Shutters tend to slow down with age as a little grease or oil migrates onto the leaves and this creates a lot of drag when they are opening and closing. Likewise the timing gear (escapement FWIW) that regulates the gap between open and closed can stick, most noticeable on the longest shutter speeds. If these are working well then make sure you mention it. If you close the aperture down you should see if the blade look clean or have any smears - if there are then they'll be on the shutter leaves too.

Focus accuracy is more of a fiddle to check but you can do it on the B setting with something suitable taped where the film goes. Aperture wide open, distance of about 5-6 feet is good, measured from the film plane.

Film testing is the best way to give a buyer confidence but these are fairly cheap cameras so prob not worth your while, they'll sell anyway. 35mm is cheap now, £1 a roll from Poundland, developing for around a fiver at Asda. The 120 you'd need for the Agfa will be a bit more serious money - £5-7 plus £10 upwards to print. Film can be quite forgiving of bad exposure choices though so it's not always as good a test as you might think! Also a small aperture can cover up poor focus accuracy or some lens grot.

Some info here on one of them:
http://www.lomography.com/magazine/1...time-traveller
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-16, 01:23 PM   #528
yokohama

I don't think the Dignette has a meter or a rangefinder. It's a basic vario model with 3 shutter settings and B, manual aperture settings and a ring with distances on for focussing. The shutter seems to work fine on its different settings.

I'm not sure which model it is but I had a quick look on the web and it seems to be what the Ilford Sportsman was based on. Exactly the same as this but with a Dacora badge.

http://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Il...an_Style4.html

Last edited by yokohama; 01-04-16 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-04-16, 08:44 PM   #529
Kenzie

Bought a Vito B for the case. It has what is left of an address on the top. The camera itself has an iffy shutter. Sticks at all speeds. Dates to around 1955-56. Will transfer the top plate onto my other Vito B as it is dented. May repair the shutter tomorrow. Unless anyone fancies it? The Pen arrived today as well, film counter doesn't work as it looks like someone didn't realise it's a reverse thread.

Sent from my Kindle Fire

Last edited by Kenzie; 01-04-16 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-04-16, 08:16 AM   #530
Kenzie

I stripped down the spare Vito B and gave the shutter mech a good hosing down with lighter fluid and it now seems to be working ok. Not sure what to do with it as I already have two Vitos.