SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-05-07, 04:04 PM   #1
JimmyGulp

Unhappy Snapped chain, no fun

Well, we all love an interesting ride to work, don't we? Well, my usual commute to work ended somewhat on a flat note, half way along the M1 (just after J45 actually).

Trundling along past J45 up a bit of a hill, I hear an interesting "twang" noise, and get a sudden loss of power. I continue under what speed I had and pull over onto the hard shoulder to find out what happened.

So, the chain has snapped, though I still don't understand why the clutch feels useless and light. I call the delightful breakdown people and get myself picked up.

Once at home, and the bike in the back yard I start to pull it apart (and get the now useless chain off).

Taking the plastic cover off the side, I get to where alot of chain has gathered up I see that almost half the teeth have been chopped off the front sprocket... hardly helpful.

Once the chain is out of the way, I discover that the clutch rod has snapped in two, and that is most likely why, even though it appears to be in gear, the front sprocket is loose.

A couple of photos - Firstly, the end of the chain:

And the broken clutch rod:

I hope none of you end up with a snapped chain, as its certainly no fun

Anyway, got the bike booked in to BFM in Shipley who are going to have a peek and sort it out for me
Old 30-05-07, 04:12 PM   #2
Baph

Default Re: Snapped chain, no fun

You're VERY lucky that the chain didn't hit you!

At least the bike can be sorted pretty quickly (subject to parts etc).
Old 30-05-07, 04:12 PM   #3

bad luck i too have had a couple one in a services 180 miles from home....

I did cry...
Old 30-05-07, 04:13 PM   #4
Tony_BLY

That is exactly what happened to me. Going uphill on M65 last year. Took the clutch out too!

Disconcerting to say the least!!

Stay safe.

Tony

PS Investigations, various theories - guy in shop who fixed it, told me wheel bearings were knackered and reckoned that was the cause. Some other guy I know goes grass-track racing and he reckons that guy in shop was wrong, as he swears chains can flex sideways when you steam into a corner (on a grass track!?) ... Best advice is to have chain slacker rather than tighter ... obviously not TOO slack, and keep well lubed.
Old 30-05-07, 04:14 PM   #5
Rich
Mega Poster

Ouch, atleast it didn't do you any harm though. A chunk out of your leg would have been worse, think yourself lucky in that respect!! But as for the bike its abit of a pooper for you!!
Old 30-05-07, 09:07 PM   #6
JimmyGulp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph
You're VERY lucky that the chain didn't hit you!
Aye, Fullstop102 came around to have a look at the damage, lend words of advice and whatnot, and I noticed that the rear left indicator had been attacked by the chain (just plastic damage, can probably be glued back).

Looking closer, we then noticed it attacked the luggage holder thingy, and had a good chew at the fairing under where the pillions bottom would go

Anyway, its booked in tomorrow morning for a fix up, and new rubber on the back end (it needed it anyway).
Old 30-05-07, 10:08 PM   #7
kcowgergmm

i think it is time for a new chain
Old 31-05-07, 07:06 AM   #8
petevtwin650

The thing that cought my eye straight away was that the front sprocket was loose. Doesn't sound right. I thought normally the side plate comes off where the rivetted heads of the pins wear and allows a link to come out. That chain has been subject to some sideways force in my opinion.

Anyway, lucky it didn't smash your crankcases or have you off.

Result................sort of
Old 31-05-07, 07:38 AM   #9
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Had exactly the same thing happen to me a couple of years ago on the M6 heading to Oulton Park was in the outside lane gunning it a bit just about into 3 figure speed when sudden loss of power.

Chain had snappeed and had snapped the clutch push rod just like yours it also took a chunk out of my hugger and put a small crack in the engine case (which i bodged with chemical metal) luckilky for me the chain spat itself out of the back of the bike instead of wrapping round the back wheel or my leg

a lucky escape for you by the sounds of it

I'm with pete on the loose front sprocket that doesn't seeem right at all

Last edited by dirtydog; 31-05-07 at 07:41 AM.
dirtydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-07, 11:26 AM   #10
JimmyGulp

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevtwin650 View Post
The thing that cought my eye straight away was that the front sprocket was loose. Doesn't sound right.
I'm not sure (I'm no mechanic...), but I think that as the clutch rod has been disengaged, then its essentially in some sort of neutral (no amount of pressing on the gear selector would get the neutral light to pop on).

However, minds more technical than mine can probably explain it better