SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-12-07, 05:44 AM   #1
Matt Prince

Default Pyramid Fender Extender

Hi,

Just taken delivery of the above - not the most attractive piece of kit but I am keen to keep the worst off the front of the bike particularly in the winter.
The extender comes fitted with double sided adhesive pads and 4 self tapping screws - these do not look good quality and would need to be painted in black to match the extender.
I wondered if anyone had fitted one of these and if so what they used to fit one?
I was wondering about using a strong glue rather than drilling? Recommendations for any particular solvent
Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks
Old 20-12-07, 05:51 AM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: Pyramid Fender Extender

You're right the provided screws do rust really quickly in this weather, epoxy glues work fine, or some use rivets, the pads alone have been known to fail and then you loose the extender somewhere on the road.

make sure everything is clean and dry and you shouldn't have a problem.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-07, 06:18 AM   #3
en4rab

sikaflex works really well for sticking the extender on and not using screws.
I bought a tube of sikaflex 291 on ebay for less than a tenner and used a couple of clothespegs to hold the extender in place while the sikaflex cured.
That was about 2 years ago and the extender is still firmly attached.
en4rab
en4rab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-07, 01:11 PM   #4
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
You're right the provided screws do rust really quickly in this weather, epoxy glues work fine, or some use rivets, the pads alone have been known to fail and then you loose the extender somewhere on the road.

make sure everything is clean and dry and you shouldn't have a problem.

Cheers Mark.
Yeap, I'd agree with that too....

I used epoxy glue on mine, it hasn't budged since and looks better than having screws or rivets showing. All I did was remove the mudguard from the SV and brought it inside to work on. Give the underside a good clean and use a bit of fine sandpaper to roughen/scratch up both adjoining pieces. Wipe clean to remove any dust etc.... then follow the instructions of your epoxy. I left the fender in the dining room for 24hrs to harden and bond, shouldn't take that long too bond its just that I didn't need the bike so left it longer.
Old 21-12-07, 09:10 AM   #5
Matt Prince

Cheers guys - off to garage to remove mudguard and fix on indoors!