SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-10-14, 10:10 PM   #1
silentmemory

Default Engine knocking or just my imagination?

I noticed a knocking sound at idle the other day, after having ridden the bike just around the block. Didn't think too much of it until I had it MOT'd the next day and the tester advised it was knocking. That was when the engine was warm, but I've also heard it from cold.

Can't really tell if revs affect it cos it gets drowned out by the noise, but it doesn't appear to be affecting performance, other than I'm now scared to push it hard.

I've since taken it to 2 bike servicing shops where both times the mechanics haven't heard anything out of the ordinary. To be fair, neither could I when they were listening to it, so don't know if I'm imagining it now?

Took a video yesterday morning, I'm not talking about the rattle, but do you hear a constant knocking here? Seems like it might be coming from the rear cylinder, valves need adjusting perhaps?

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

2000 SVS, ~30k miles
Old 23-10-14, 10:14 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Engine knocking or just my imagination?

sound to me like its sucking air or you have a loose cam chain.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-14, 10:50 PM   #3
jonny.boyd

Been run low on oil at some point in it's life?
jonny.boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-14, 11:14 PM   #4
silentmemory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny.boyd View Post
Been run low on oil at some point in it's life?
Actually, a stone did hole the oil filter during a 30 mile ride, needed a fair bit of oil to replace what was lost but didn't get an oil warning light...

That was a few thousand miles ago though, no odd noises until just the other day.
Old 24-10-14, 06:57 AM   #5
jonny.boyd

Unfortunately the oil warning light is more of a "it's too late" light.

Sounds like a bottom end knock to me (from listening to the video).

Your best bet... grab a short length of hose or a long screwdriver. Now go around putting one end of the hose/screwdriver on the engine casing, and the other end of hose/screwdriver by your ear. By doing this you should be able to find the point that the knock you are talking about is at it's worst. Let us know if it's top end or bottom end.

Hopefully its not that and it's something easy and simple. But it sounds like to me! All the best.
jonny.boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-14, 03:25 PM   #6
Teejayexc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny.boyd View Post
Your best bet... grab a short length of hose or a long screwdriver. Now go around putting one end of the hose/screwdriver on the engine casing, and the other end of hose/screwdriver by your ear.

Preferably with the handle end of the screwdriver to your ear
Teejayexc is offline   Reply With Quote