SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-02-05, 10:56 AM   #1
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Default 1 cylinder running

After me saying "I've never had any problem with a wet front cylinder", this morning it got me. Bike would not tick over and kept running on one cylinder.

Hopefully, it will dry out from the heat of the engine and be alright on the way home. Will I do any damage riding it home if it is only running on one pot? (I will sort it when I get home).

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-05, 11:02 AM   #2
Grinch

Default Re: 1 cylinder running

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs
After me saying "I've never had any problem with a wet front cylinder", this morning it got me. Bike would not tick over and kept running on one cylinder.

Hopefully, it will dry out from the heat of the engine and be alright on the way home. Will I do any damage riding it home if it is only running on one pot? (I will sort it when I get home).
need to buy yourself a fender extender, and clear out the drain whole in the front cylinder for the spark plug. Though normally if you leave it, it should be ok later. Could check at lunch.
Old 11-02-05, 11:07 AM   #3
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Default Re: 1 cylinder running

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch
need to buy yourself a fender extender, and clear out the drain whole in the front cylinder for the spark plug. Though normally if you leave it, it should be ok later. Could check at lunch.
Finish at lunch time. Half day Fridays.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-05, 11:24 AM   #4
Grinch

alright flash boy...
Old 11-02-05, 11:46 AM   #5
Iansv

spray a bit of wd40 into the breather hole, will dry up better
Old 11-02-05, 04:16 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

Before you buy the extenda, have a try at just cleaning out the drainer hole and seating the seal as well as you can... Since you've had no problems before you might be one of the lucky ones who doesn't need anything more than stock.

Then, if that doesn't work, what I've done is just cover the seal with waterproof grease (even the breather hole) and that kept it running fine since. That includes crossing a few fords, and riding for 100 metres along a road flooded about 6 inches deep You don't need the drainer hole as the grease should keep all the waterout in the first place.

(unless someone can correct me, and the hole actually works as a breather or blower for the plug for some reason- but I don't think it does)

Fenda Extenda's good for keeping your bike cleaner but I found it unneccesary for the plug problem.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-05, 10:05 PM   #7
csimmo

I had same thing happen to me today it was annoying and bit dangerous as it was spluttering on 1 then kicking back into 2 cylinder whilst going round corners etc (it was a little jerky at times).

whilst sitting at traffic engine cut out a few times and it stunk of fuel so i pulled over side of road front downpipe was only warm and not hot compared to back cylinder , as i reved it i could see the spark jumping from the front ht lead to the cylinder head , wd40 did the trick eventually but after 5 mins of riding same symptons as before , is there a permanent fix as its a bitt embarrasing when the bikes jerking all over the place backfiring and cutting out etc. i have ordered a fender extender if that helps.

thanks