SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-08-19, 02:23 PM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default It's here

Sorry to keep boring you with this but my H1F arrived today. My camera has given everything a blue cast which I've removed but the pics don't show the tank's dark green very well.

It's loud! A lot louder than I remembered. There's a few issues - the revcounter is lazy, the fuel filler requires a "knack" as does the seat latch, the seat is missing some trim. Neil (of KawasakiTriples Workshop) pointed all these out and will return with a replacement tach and perform a 600 service in September which I didn't expect. It is a 44 year old bike so I wasn't expecting perfection.
On my Yamaha R5 you could push the kickstart down with your hand to start it, not so with this - it requires a firm kick. The vacuum operated fuel tap has been causing issues (can't get the spring or diaphragm) so it's been converted to a manual tap. I've stuck a reminder on the tach because I'm sure to forget.

On the earlier H1 the spring loaded (!) choke was on the right handlebar so you had to juggle a left-right lever with the twist grip, on the "F", they moved the choke to the left bar but left it spring loaded so you can't walk away after starting it. It uses choke plungers like the curvy SV.

I wasn't expecting the bike till next week so my insurance doesn't start till tomorrow so I haven't been able to ride it yet. Tomorrow though...

It's not for the purists - the H1F never came in green (the H1D and H1E did), but I've always wanted a green one.
These old two strokes aren't that fond of modern fuels but you can get the squish on the heads reshaped to compensate which also gives more low down grunt on the H1 so I may get that done. No gear indicator, of course, and neutral is at the bottom - there may be a learning curve!

I have one spare set of NGK B8HS running in plugs plus and one set of B9HS - the joys of a two stroke - learning plug temperatures and ensuring you have a spare set.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-19, 03:02 PM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: It's here

Looks fabulous, enjoy her!

Manual tap conversion is a good idea, the vac tap on my 380 used to occasionally stick slightly open when the bike was switched off and parked. Fortunately it used to wee out of the float breather / overflow tubes rather than filling the cases.

For what it's worth, my 380 never had a problem on E5 fuels, last time I stripped the carbs they were spotless inside. The 380 heads don't really have a squish band as such, which may also explain the engine being happy on E5.

Because I was running period J&R spannies, I did retard the (points) ignition timing slightly to 2.0mm BTDC (factory setting: 2.25mm). This was mostly because the factory-recommended timing is a compromise between mid-range and top-end. As I rode the bike quite hard, retarding the timing was safer for longer periods of higher rpm running, and I never noticed a loss of midrange go either.

Also, I used NGK Iridiums (from sparkplugs.co.uk, about £15 for three) and ran non-resistor NGK caps. Never fouled a plug, and they never needed regapping after fitting. They were in the bike for 5+ years so they do pay for themselves.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-19, 05:02 PM   #3
Talking Heads

Proper mudguards, big comfy seat, grabrail, they sure don't make 'em like that any more.....
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-19, 09:02 PM   #4
ASM1

God it's hideously old fashioned and bet its terribly dull to ride,i will take it off your hands.
In all seriousness, it looks amazing and I'm very jealous.

Last edited by ASM1; 18-08-19 at 09:05 PM.
ASM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-19, 10:06 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

thats fukin lovely that.. watch the centre piston for holing. otherwise i'm slightly jealous. rode a few of each in my youth...
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-19, 06:18 AM   #6
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASM1 View Post
God it's hideously old fashioned and bet its terribly dull to ride

... have you been speaking to my ex wife?

-----------------

A bit embarassing - I couldn't get it off the centre stand, Neil had left and when I pushed it forward to take it off the stand it just slid on my driveway. The drive is small pebbles that have been epoxied into place but can be a bit slippery. I have a dolly for turning the SV and I have to sit the leading ramp on a carpet tile else the SV just pushes the dolly along the drive as the front tyre hits the load ramp.
I was stood there thinking: "Now what?" so brute force and ignorance were called in. Either I was stronger in my youth or my memory is playing tricks but when I put it back on its centre stand I thought I was going to burst a blood vessel - it was hard work. I also need to take a look at the sidestand since its lean angle seems a little precarious to me.
It's definitely going to be a tinkering machine.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-19, 06:41 PM   #7
Toooldtodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
Proper mudguards, big comfy seat, grabrail, they sure don't make 'em like that any more.....

True, but it makes the SV look "beefy" with twin discs and a frame not made from bicycle parts!
I too love these old bikes, as I am old, but you can see how far we've come and few reviews talk of flex in the bike like they used to.

Truly beautiful looking machine for all that. And the smell of burnt two stroke I'd wear as aftershave!

Last edited by Toooldtodie; 05-10-19 at 06:43 PM.
Toooldtodie is offline   Reply With Quote