SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Border Patrol Covering North Wales, Shropshire, Staffs, Merseyside and Cheshire for SV650.org members, past, present and future

Old 23-03-10, 07:31 PM   #1
Speedy Claire

Default Any Constructive Comments Re. the Abersoch Rideout

I had a lovely time on Sunday on the first run (for me) of the season. A huge thanks to Ed for the organisation and I loved the route. As this was the first run for the Border Patrol and we have others planned I`m wondering if anyone has any constructive tips on how to ensure all rideouts run smoothly.

As I`ve already mentioned I had a lovely day and i`d like to ask that any suggestions are both useful and constructive.

My only gripe about Sunday is that the riders did not seem to be aware of who or if we had a nominated TEC and I may be wrong but I don`t recall any mention of who was TEC. Whilst marking a junction the last rider coming through failed to inform me that they were the last rider and I therefore waited as I wasn`t sure if there was anyone else. Needless to say I wasted some time waiting and by the time I decided to carry on I soon realised that I was on my own and ? lost. Fortunately I seemed to remember somebody mention the next town we were heading for so I decided to follow the instinct and head there and after some time I thankfully saw Luckypants coming back to find me. There was at least 1 and possibly 2 junctions that should have been marked on my route but nobody was waiting there.

I feel that nobody should be left in the position of being on their own... I could have ended up lost and if (god forbid) anything had happened to me or if I had broken down I could have been stuck on my own with nobody there for support, we also need to remember that in certain areas there is no mobile reception. On reflection I learnt that I really ought to print off the route of any rideouts and carry it with me at all times so I`m not in the same situation ever again. I would also add the following pointers:-

1. Everyone attending is made aware of the rules of group riding, possibly by some sort of briefing at the start off point. These rules obv are to include the system of marking junctions.

2. We need a nominated TEC at all times and at every stop the whole group should be informed of who the TEC is regardless of whether somebody else has taken over or not. Preferably I think that some sort of reflective vest should be worn to indicate the status.

3. We really do need to print off the route and I`m really kicking myself that I didn`t. Obviously if you find yourself in the position of being lost you can then at least aim to meet up with the group at the next regrouping point.

If anyone has anymore useful tips then I`m sure these will be very much appreciated and can be incorporated into the next rideout.

Once again tho big thanks to Ed for organising the ride and for a fantastic day out

Last edited by Speedy Claire; 23-03-10 at 09:44 PM.
Old 23-03-10, 08:13 PM   #2
Specialone

Default Re: Any Constructive Comments Re. the Abersoch Rideout

Claire, i know i didnt go and i have only done a few rideouts but 1 thing IMO is the TEC has to be seen otherwise situations like you described will keep happening.
The ones i have been on nobody has ever been lost and every junction has been impeccably marked as directed by the leader.
Hi vis should be compulsory.

Phil
Old 23-03-10, 08:42 PM   #3
El Saxo

I wasn't there for this one, but I've been on a rideout before where the marker system broke down and for abot 45 mins I was sat marking a junction somewhere in Lincolnshire without a clue of the rest of the route! Luckily another marker had given up on their junction, found me and knew the way to the end point where we met up with everyone else.

a) The TEC should me made clear so when people are marking junctions they know who it is. When I went TEC for one of the Marches rideouts I had a high-viz vest etc so everyone knew who i was.

Having said that...

b) People should print the route out or at least have a map so they can navigate to one of the meet points e.g. the lunch stop or back to the start/end if they do get separated - I learnt that the hard way like you SC and I always try to remember to carry a map now if I don't know the area I'm riding in.

C) everyone should swap mobile numbers with at least 2 others on the rideout ideally so that they can ring someone to say where they are if they do get lost / break down / get pulled by the fuzz. Having been on rideouts where people have had offs, I personally jump to the worst case scenario in my head when people 'go missing' from the rideout!

Last edited by El Saxo; 23-03-10 at 08:43 PM.
Old 23-03-10, 09:48 PM   #4
Speedy Claire

I`ve today been out to buy a hi-viz vest and I intend for it to be used on any rideouts I attend. I`ll also be printing out the route just in case
Old 23-03-10, 10:01 PM   #5
petevtwin650

I think on any sort of organised ride-out there should be a brief before the group sets off. Pointing out rules of the day, who is lead and TEC, junction marking guidelines and pointers, and if anybody has any questions. Also moby numbers should be swapped. All these can help to make the ride run smoothly. Also make it clear that everybody needs to refuel at the specified pitstops.
Old 23-03-10, 10:13 PM   #6
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

I was aware that Ed was Tec on the run from bala.. because I asked..

dont know what happenned after we left you all..

there was one double roundabout that Mike pointed at as he knew it was a double but it wasnt marked until the left turn of the second one.. not mike's intention I dont think.. so I contemplated turning round and marking the first one YES I know if there is no marker it is straight on but I wasnt sure if everyone on that ride that day knew that fact.

anyhooo twas a good day .. nice ride. everyone safe , and I sold me gixxer and got mandy in her money pants so all good.

NB: joking aside I note the point made by the OP and agree with the thoughts and comments.. was a good ride though ta Ed and ta Mike for leading.
Old 23-03-10, 10:30 PM   #7
christopher

I think with the larger groups people sometimes don't want to mark or get fed up with marking because there can be 15 minutes - or however long - between the first and last rider (often not a huge amount of time but can feel like an age when sitting at the side of the road).

Personally I don't mind marking and sitting waiting for however long it takes, but am rarely up near the front in the larger groups as am overtaken on the straights. I'll happily do 80/90 plus through the twisties if conditions allow but I don't get any pleasure in racing down the straights and don't often go above 60/70 on them even when totally clear of all possible hazards... which means I'm pushed down the order as others will do 100 plus on the shortest of straights.

On that Abersoch ride, I'm not going to even try and speak for the majority, but I didn't have a clue who was TEC'ing by the after lunch parts! It was more a case of "remember who is behind and tell the marker if possible".

I would also say it was clearly the first proper ride of the year for quite a few, as there was a lot of silly behaviour like crossing solid white lines and hopping into the smallest of gaps between cars and causing them to brake (sometimes heavily) on the rider behind instead of waiting 30 seconds for a decent opportunity to pass which wouldn't have inconvenienced anybody.

Anyways, just my experience and thoughts of the day. Take it with a pinch of salt as it's certainly not directed at anyone in particular!
christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-10, 11:38 PM   #8
Ed

I think Claire that your criticism is valid.

On the way from Shrewsbury to Bala, I led. I *might* have gone a bit fast in places cos by the time we got to Bala there was a bit of a wait for peeps to catch up. Daryl TEC'd (thanks D) so nobody got lost. From Bala to Abersoch, I TEC'd as I know the way.

TBH I didn't organise a TEC system for the way back, simply cos I assumed that peeps knew the way to Barmouth: to the turn for the bridge at Penrhyndeudraeth (sp??) it's back the way we came, but those roundabouts in Pwllheli are confusing, I agree. I did tell everyone where we were going, not in any formal group briefing, but in one to ones.

It wasn't a nice feeling when we got to the Portmadog fuel stop and realised you weren't there, so I can appreciate that you were annoyed.

I accept the criticism and I take it on board. I shouldn't assume.

Chris, from the back, I didn't see any dodgy overtakes.

Last edited by Ed; 23-03-10 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Senility and forgetfulness
Old 23-03-10, 11:43 PM   #9
5hort5

where's the sticky thread with the rules of ride outs, unwritten or otherwise? (and if unwritten can someone write them please)
5hort5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-10, 11:50 PM   #10
Speedy Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
I think Claire that your criticism is valid.

On the way from Shrewsbury to Bala, I led. I *might* have gone a bit fast in places cos by the time we got to Bala there was a bit of a wait for peeps to catch up. Daryl TEC'd (thanks D) so nobody got lost. From Bala to Abersoch, I TEC'd as I know the way.

TBH I didn't organise a TEC system for the way back, simply cos I assumed that peeps knew the way to Barmouth: to the turn for the bridge at Penrhyndeudraeth (sp??) it's back the way we came, but those roundabouts in Pwllheli are confusing, I agree. I did tell everyone where we were going, not in any formal group briefing, but in one to ones.

It wasn't a nice feeling when we got to the Portmadog fuel stop and realised you weren't there, so I can appreciate that you were annoyed.

I accept the criticism and I take it on board. I shouldn't assume.

Chris, from the back, I didn't see any dodgy overtakes.

I wasn`t really annoyed Ed, just felt like a Billy No Mates lol and all turned out ok. Tis really good of you to accept the criticism but Sunday is over and done with and I just wanted to draw everyones attention to one of the things that can go wrong on a rideout. By raising it i`m hoping it won`t happen again to anyone.

In no way did it spoil my fun