SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-06-11, 07:56 PM   #1
Ben Whitcher

Exclamation Need some questions answered regarding my new 2007 SV 650s.

Hi guys,

I thought i would ask some questions here instead of local Suzuki Dealer hoping you know more than them. Anyway i picked up my sv on Saturday after passing my test on Friday. Took it to Thruxton on Sunday and was all well. Really settled in to the bike. The questions i have is what is the optimum temperature of these bikes? Mine is fully fared light metallic blue color and today it reach 103*c after coming back from a ride. Is this normal? As normally i haven noticed it sit at under 90 when out on the road and never has risen above 90 as of now.
Is this natural any views? Had service done 600 miles ago before i got it so it should be fine for oil etc.

Another question i have is my bike clunks into first or second when shifting down or up if it hits neutral from 1st to 2nd. (never happened on my 125) now its common on my SV. Natural or need to be checked out? FYI the bike has only 8700 miles and is fully serviced. Has been dropped by previous owners to the sides as it has scratches. But this doesn't effect the problems i have does it?

Please some answers would be great as the haynes manual is good but doesn't give me real peoples opinion.

Regards Ben
Old 21-06-11, 08:10 PM   #2
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: Need some questions answered regarding my new 2007 SV 650s.

How long after you got back did it reach 103, or does your journey end with a fair bit of slow riding? That's about the temperature the cooling fans will come but are normally only needed if you leave the bike running when stationery (ie: no air passing over the radiator) or if you are riding slowly in town.

Re the clunking it may be that you're just not used to the slightly heavier gears and action than perhaps on your 125, or it could be that the clutch needs adjusting. Might be worth popping back past the dealer if they are nearby and asking them, if it's your first big bike they're not going to mind you asking.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-11, 08:14 PM   #3
Ben Whitcher

Yeah i was stopped when i got into the garage and it started to rise. These are not problems are they? i have only have the bike since Saturday and its been going really well however i just keep getting a clunk and have literally hunted through google with people saying its normal. I have also seen that if i accelerate hard in 1st and shift to 2nd i sometimes hit neutral and then get a clunk into 2nd. Is it time for a service already? 600 miles?

Ben
Old 21-06-11, 08:27 PM   #4
Red Herring
Mega Poster

No, the temperature thing is normal. If you still have any doubts have a look at the fan behind the right side of the radiator, you should see, or hear, it turn on around 100.

Just try to be a bit more positive with your changes, especially when accelerating hard and loading up the drive train.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-11, 08:34 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

if my gears don't 'clunk' i get worried. temp is fine but under normal riding it should be about 73-78.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-11, 09:47 PM   #6
The Idle Biker

When I bought my 07 SV, I only had it a week and noticed the temp fluctuating greatly between 75-100 under normal riding. It persisted and then began to stall pulling away in 1st. Turned out it was the temperature stat faulty.

I had it changed and the temp has never risen above low 90's no matter the weather or how hard I ride it. Admittedly I don't get stuck in traffic much. Keep an eye out for ithe temp fluctuating too much when traffic conditions remain the same.

I don't think you have to worry about the clunk.
Old 21-06-11, 09:54 PM   #7
Ben Whitcher

Cheers for the brilliant replies. Really does make me feel at ease knowing its not a fault. Ben
Old 21-06-11, 10:07 PM   #8
Mighty Boosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Whitcher View Post
Had service done 600 miles ago before i got it so it should be fine for oil etc.
You do know how to check the oil level yourself don't you?
Old 22-06-11, 09:41 AM   #9
Ben Whitcher

Yeah. It looks fine was replaced 600 miles ago on service,
Old 22-06-11, 09:57 AM   #10
RichT

Hey Ben

As already mentioned anywhere between 75 and 100 is pretty normal depending on the type of conditions and riding you have or are doing. My fan kicks in at 103C normally (I only have the one fan)

Hopefully see you out and about.

Last edited by RichT; 22-06-11 at 10:02 AM.