SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-08-11, 06:24 PM   #1
svsam

Default front tyre issues

Im out half way through cleaning my bike as i type this.

So for a while i'v thought the front end to be a bit 'skitty' like its not quite going to stick if i ride any harder round the corners, which is odd as its only started happening since i replaced the rear tyre, prior to this its was spot on to be honest!

Now, as im cleaning her, i have a good look over the front tyre, it seems that the bit 'that isnt the centre and isnt the outside (the bit in between) has worn hell of a lot, almost no visible tread! therefore i had like a shoulder on the rims of my tyre about 1cm from the edge, all the way round, both sides.

Is this the way im riding? or the bike?

Im running pilot road ones at the moment, jacked up 45mm at the rear, and dropped about 5mm through the yokes.

Hope this makes sence......

Cheers, Sam
Old 23-08-11, 06:27 PM   #2
SV Mad

Default Re: front tyre issues

Is the pressure right? Maybe needs 1 or 2 more psi.
Old 23-08-11, 06:51 PM   #3
NedSVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsam View Post

it seems that the bit 'that isnt the centre and isnt the outside (the bit in between) has worn hell of a lot, almost no visible tread! therefore i had like a shoulder on the rims of my tyre about 1cm from the edge, all the way round, both sides.

Is this the way im riding? or the bike?

Cheers, Sam
That is pretty normal front tyre wear in my experience - front tyres wear most in corners when you are leant over. This tends to lead to the wear pattern you describe and the reason it feels strange when you push the front a little harder than usual - the contact patch suddenly becomes a lot smaller when you lean a little further than usual. This is why I rarely keep a used front on when I change the rear.
NedSVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-11, 05:43 AM   #4
Red Herring
Mega Poster

As above really, except the "skittish" feel actually comes from an increased contact patch, not a reduced one. The way the tyre wears flattens off the profile so that you end up with a V shape instead of a nice new rounded one. This means that when the bike is leant over onto the flat bit it will track on any road surface imperfection a whole lot more (just like wide low profile tyres do on cars) giving the horrible feeling you describe.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-11, 06:05 PM   #5
NedSVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
As above really, except the "skittish" feel actually comes from an increased contact patch, not a reduced one. The way the tyre wears flattens off the profile so that you end up with a V shape instead of a nice new rounded one. This means that when the bike is leant over onto the flat bit it will track on any road surface imperfection a whole lot more (just like wide low profile tyres do on cars) giving the horrible feeling you describe.
It is a bigger contact patch until you lean a little further than normal,then it rapidly gets smaller then back to normal when you reach the unused "chiken strip" - if you can get that far without falling off!
NedSVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-11, 09:07 PM   #6
Lozzo

Reducing the steering head angle by the drastic amount you have is going to have a negative effect on tyre wear as well, because you've put so much more weight over the front and the tyre is working harder mid corner.
Old 24-08-11, 09:33 PM   #7
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I think you have described a worn out tyre.Replace it and the handling will be transformed.