SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-05-16, 11:15 AM   #1
slaked

Default Your opinions on my bike security?

Last night my housemate disturbed some scumbags who were in the process of stealing my SV650. I am now not sure the best way to go about securing it in future (currently it is inside the house but that's not a long term solution!)

Our house is a bit of a weird set up so I took this screen grab from streetview to make it clearer:

Our house is a detached townhouse which is inside an apartment/housing complex but which backs onto the road. In the photo that is our house with the front door opening onto the street (a door we don't use) as you can see we have a car port which is only accessible from inside the gated complex and has our main door opening into it. There is a large heavy duty metal fence blocking access from the road.

My bike is kept in the car port with a lock going through the metal fence and then through the front wheel of the bike and with a disc lock on the rear wheel. It was about 1:20 this morning when my housemate came home and saw a guy with bolt cutters cutting the lock from the road (he wasn't inside the complex) and he ran off. He wasn't alone as he had two mates in a car with him. I'm not sure what else he would have done as once the lock was cut he still would have had to get into the complex (admittedly just jumping over the gate) but then how would he have got the bike out? Would have still had to deal with the rear disc lock as well.

I am in two minds about what to do in future. Keeping it in the car port is technically safe because it is properly anchored as that fence is going nowhere however it is clearly on view to anyone going past. I have previously kept it round the back of the house locked to a wooden fence. Definitely less secure but also not visible from the road and would mean coming into the complex to have a go at it with dozens of windows/balconies looking onto the area.

Also can anyone tell me how easy these are to cut through:
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/mot...u-lock-bracket

Oh yeah and we called the police who were obviously too busy to attend said they would call me this morning and that hasn't happened either
Old 28-05-16, 11:21 AM   #2
slaked

Default Re: Your opinions on my bike security?

What do you think of putting some sort of screen/cover over the metal fence so no one can see through it? It would make the bike less visible, but of course they already know it's there now and it might even encourage them as they will be less likely to be seen from the street? I guess it comes down to is the best security having the bike hidden from view or visible to everyone?
Old 28-05-16, 12:23 PM   #3
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Im guessing the bolt cutters he used would also cut through that fence?Is there anything more solid you can chain it to?
Old 28-05-16, 12:46 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

i would have that fence down in about 3min. but i doubt they would cut the fence and more Ilkley to jimmy the main gate.

security cam. with notice.
security light.
ground anchor.
bike cover.

word of warning. do not confront bike thief's. if they are low enough to steel bikes then they will have no hesitation about putting you in hospital.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-16, 12:50 PM   #5
slaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Im guessing the bolt cutters he used would also cut through that fence?Is there anything more solid you can chain it to?
I suppose they might be able to but it is pretty solid, the vertical steel is about an inch and a half wide and the horizontal about half that. To get the bike out he'd have to cut in about 40 different places (at a guess) and there is a bedroom directly above the car port and even me taking the lock out of the fence wakes them up so bolt cutting it would definitely alert everyone I would have thought?

I am now leaning towards leaving it out of sight of the road. Round the back is a 8in x 8in wooden fence post that is concreted into the ground.

I've just bought this lock from Halfords:
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/mot...-chain-padlock

£54 with 20% web discount which seems pretty decent - the chain seems to retail £80-£90 elsewhere.
Old 28-05-16, 12:52 PM   #6
slaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
but i doubt they would cut the fence and more Ilkley to jimmy the main gate.
The main gate is one of those sliding steel ones that you open with a key fob, the pedestrian gate is a large steel one with keypad entry. Are they as easy to get around?
Old 28-05-16, 12:53 PM   #7
slaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
word of warning. do not confront bike thief's. if they are low enough to steel bikes then they will have no hesitation about putting you in hospital.
Yeah I told my housemate thanks for interrupting them but in future keep back and call the police, no bike's worth getting a smack round the head with some bolt cutters
Old 28-05-16, 12:57 PM   #8
Trev B

I'm afraid that all you can do in my opinion is 1.. As slaked says cover the fence or put it out of site,2.. By a good anchor point and a thatchem approved chain and lock,maybe fitted to the wall to keep the chain off the floor( it's easier to get more purchase with bolt cutters if the handle can be on the floor.3..fit a dummy alarm with a 9v battery and flashing LED off e-bay.4.. Buy a shotgun,wait and then just blast the baskets,ps you will probably get the police to call at your house next day then,That said you can only do what you can and as I say if they can do that Brinks Matt robbery and that last Hatton Garden job,a bike is no problem
Old 28-05-16, 01:00 PM   #9
slaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev B View Post
I'm afraid that all you can do in my opinion is 1.. As slaked says cover the fence or put it out of site,2.. By a good anchor point and a thatchem approved chain and lock,maybe fitted to the wall to keep the chain off the floor( it's easier to get more purchase with bolt cutters if the handle can be on the floor.3..fit a dummy alarm with a 9v battery and flashing LED off e-bay.4.. Buy a shotgun,wait and then just blast the baskets,ps you will probably get the police to call at your house next day then,That said you can only do what you can and as I say if they can do that Brinks Matt robbery and that last Hatton Garden job,a bike is no problem
Thanks that sounds like good advice, especially keeping the chain off the floor which is something I would never have considered!
Old 28-05-16, 01:06 PM   #10
Bibio
Mega Poster

the main/side gate is very easy to open, its a simple electronic latch the main gate might have a sliding pulley mech which are a bit of a pain depending on if they are belt/chain or hydro ram.. they are more for show rather than security. locks are for honest people. if push comes to shove they will physically lift the bike over the gate.

i'm surprised that they even contemplated steeling your bike as it seems like way to much trouble. they usually move onto the next one that is easier.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote