SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-07-16, 04:33 PM   #1
DuncanC

Default Low fuel light switch output

Hi
I have a 2000 s that I have done a top yoke and high bar conversion too. I have also removed the fairing and clocks and fitted a "normal" round headlight and a koso multi function gauge.
The problem I have is that I now have no fuel light. The gauge has an input but I'm not sure which wire should give me an output. The options look like red and black or black and green. Also what sort of voltage should I be seeing. Currently I get 3.65 volts on red and black.
I'd much appreciate help with this as would my wife who has already had one "can you bring me fuel I'm stuck at...." call.

Thanks

Duncan
DuncanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-16, 05:10 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Low fuel light switch output

IIR you need to install a resistor to get it working with another gauge but someone who has already done it might be along to say if you do.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-16, 09:49 AM   #3
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Depending on exact year, there is either one or two level switches, which are thermistors whose resistances changes depending on whether they are submerged or not. There is no 'gauge' output, i.e. a signal that changes with level.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-16, 10:16 AM   #4
DuncanC

Hi Bibio, Sid,
Thanks for the replies. I think I have the 2 thermistors as I had the flashing light then the steady light with the original clocks.
I was told that there was a fuel light function on the koso gauge so I was hoping I could use one of the 2 low level switches to activate the light.
The question I suppose is, is 3.65 volts the maximum output from the thermistor or is that some part submerged output.
Then if the output increases when the thermistor is fully exposed at what point does it light the light? I am aware that this is not a fuel gauge function as it is only measuring the bottom of the tank and that the output is for practical purposes on/off.
Or if the thermistor maximum output is 3.65 v then do I need to switch a low voltage relay to power a 12 v signal to the fuel light?
I guess my next step is lower the fuel level and see if the voltage changes.
Ask Koso what input they expect to see for the fuel light to work?
Source a relay that works at 3v.
bang head against a wall.
DuncanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-16, 12:27 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

give Koso an email and ask.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote