SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-06-19, 08:09 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Honda RC166 at IoM

If I had a 6 cylinder bike I'd want 6 exhausts too, I don't like loud bikes but I'd make an exception for this one.

https://www.visordown.com/news/viral...course-awesome

I think of all the race bikes I've come across this my favourite - it was so far ahead of its time (1966) : 250cc 6 cylinder, 62hp, 7 gears, 20,000 rpm and reliable. 41mm bore x 31mm stroke.

The crankshaft was assembled from 13 individual parts on a precision jig and it could be deformed by hand:
https://petrolicious.com/articles/honda-rc166

"each valve's geometry varied wildly from one cylinder to the next, with different lobe shapes for each one".
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-19, 08:52 AM   #2
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Honda RC166 at IoM

Honda have built some truly brilliant ground breaking stuff, someone said that Honda have never had a marketing department, their engineers just design stuff and expect salesmen to sell it. I think they have lost their way recently though, due to financial constraints mainly, and not being a 'snobby' badge like BMW, Audi etc. Our family have had Honda cars since late 80's and nothing ever goes wrong with them, just routine oil changes, brake pads etc..

The article said that it was incredible that it was designed with slide rule as computer aided design was not available, but so was Spitfire, Concord, moon rockets etc. etc. etc. - I have worked with CAD and IMHO it made designers lazy, we used to call younger designers 'keyboard jockeys' - as they were good with computer but had very little understanding of what they were designing ( you can cut and paste in CAD too ). Some wise man said that ' computer aided design improves the appearance of peoples work' - ( he did not need to add ' but not the content' ).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 25-06-19 at 10:30 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-19, 09:23 AM   #3
Craig380
Mega Poster

It's a fabulous machine, it sounds like nothing on earth too. Rob Ianucci brought the Team Obsolete RC165 to Oliver's Mount in the late 90s, along with various MVs. Me and my dad were stood halfway up the hill from Mere Hairpin and the sound as Redman screamed it past was a physical force. Everyone just looked at each other open-mouthed and shaking their heads.

Amusingly, at the same meeting, Sammy Miller had brought a beautifully prepared Yamaha based on an FZR250 motor, painted in 60s Yamaha factory livery which he described as a 'prototype'. There were some bull****ters in the crowd saying "Oh yes, I remember when Yamaha tested this at the TT in the 60s ... of course they never raced it ..."
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-19, 10:25 AM   #4
Talking Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Our family have had Honda cars since late 80's and nothing ever goes wrong with them, just routine oil changes, brake pads etc..
Of all the brands of two wheelers I've ever owned, the one that has been far and away the most unreliable is Honda.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-19, 10:26 AM   #5
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Here is sound of RC166 but some other great engines as well.....

Can remember going to Mallory on back of older brothers Matchless 650 CSR in the 60's ( nowhere near old enough to get a licence myself ) and seeing Hailwood ride 6 cylinder Honda..

https://www.visordown.com/features/t...bikes-all-time

Really miss the smell of Castrol R at todays circuits though, the one distinctive smell these days is burger vans....

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 25-06-19 at 10:29 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote