SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-05-08, 09:21 PM   #1
Carpe Noctem

Default Front Forks and Brakes on '00 SV650S

Hello from Greece!
I have just registered in your forum and I am really glad to be here!

My name is Akis, I live in Greece and I ride a '00 SV650S

I was thinking about changing the front forks and brakes and I could really use your help on what parts can match on my Suzuki!!

A friend of mine has a full front (forks, brakes, yokes, plates, clipons) from a '06 Hayabusa, is it possible to put it on??
If so, will I need a wheel from Hayabusa, too?
Are there any tested solutions (combination of forks, plates, brakes and plates) to use as a guideline?

Thank you in advance.
Akis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carpe SV - entryK11front.JPG (108.2 KB, 1 views)
Old 26-05-08, 09:48 AM   #2
pmapp
Mega Poster

Default Re: Front Forks and Brakes on '00 SV650S

Welcome to the forum

Dunno about the Busa front end, by thought would be that it would be too hard as standard.

The popular swap is the GSXR swap. Have a search on the forum, there's loads of info about what years fit what, shopping lists and everything you need to know about it.

If at first you don't succeed - use more gaffa tape.
pmapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-08, 10:05 AM   #3
Dangerous Dave

GSXR750 SRAD front end bolts straight on (with a bearing from TWF), the Hayabusa forks will fit into the SRAD yokes but not the radial brake caliper ones. The easiest option is to fit the entire front end from the SRAD 750 and use TL1000S clip ons.

You can use the standard SV front wheel but it costs a lot to do and to be honest it isn't worth doing as the main reason for using the SV front wheel is to keep the speedo, however on the Curvy's you can run the OEM speedo off the rear wheel!
Old 26-05-08, 12:34 PM   #4
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
GSXR750 SRAD front end bolts straight on (with a bearing from TWF), the Hayabusa forks will fit into the SRAD yokes but not the radial brake caliper ones. The easiest option is to fit the entire front end from the SRAD 750 and use TL1000S clip ons.

You can use the standard SV front wheel but it costs a lot to do and to be honest it isn't worth doing as the main reason for using the SV front wheel is to keep the speedo, however on the Curvy's you can run the OEM speedo off the rear wheel!

Thank you very much for your help!
Old 26-05-08, 12:47 PM   #5
Carpe Noctem

Do you know if GSXR 750 '00-'03 fits too?
I have found the forks with the triple clamp from a '01 model, in my neighbour's used parts store.

Another question for you: Do you know any stock rear shock from any other bike that fits my SV??
I have been told that Kawasaki ZX6R's does.
I should search for rear shock of same height or try find something little bit higher? (and if so, what is the right height?)

Thank you again!!
Akis.
Old 26-05-08, 12:56 PM   #6
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Those later forks can be used yes, but to get the steering lock and steering stops to work you need to use yokes from the SRAD years.

Using those forks you'll still use the SRAD spindle, but I think you may need to shim the calipers slightly for the disc track. Northwind has done something similar, ask him
Old 26-05-08, 12:58 PM   #7
Dangerous Dave

There is this which is off the main sites FAQ's (http://www.sv650.org/)...

Fitting a ZX10 shock to a mk1 SV
You need to cut the battery box i found this to not only be the plastic part but also the metal hinged part attached to the tank (but not part of the tank)

As said on that thread the shocker doesn't come with any bolts which is a shame as mine came with the bolt at the top of the shock which was perfect for fitting the bottom of the shock to the linkage, you will have to measure up how long you need the bolt and what width and then get one to do this as already mentioned in the thread the standard shock has a thread on it at the bottom...hence the need for the new bolt and nut.

To do this mod you need to:

-Mount the bike with an abba stand or similar, I not paddock stands as they seem a bit unstable to me and the rear swing arm needs to be free moving... but if its your only way then be careful, very careful and its going to be very hard...and you need a friend that's strong . basically don't do it.

-take off the back wheel (undo wheel nut, slide out the axle, slacken off chain adjusters and remove the chain from the back wheel and slide out the wheel)

-take off the side grills by the front seat and then take off the front seat.

-undo the shock bolt at the top of the shock (14mm...Mine was very solidly on and caused great difficulty...then I got the proper tools...and it was hard but manageable) then the linkage bolt then the bottom shock bolt.

-the swing arm I think is now completely free, lift it up and slide the shock out the bottom.

-now slide the zx10 shock in...and mark where you need to cut on the plastic battery box and cut, (I used a Dremmel)...make sure you move the battery out of the way first though...please ...I had to cut a little of the left of the box (as sat on the bike) to allow me to be able to reach the screw for either compression or rebound damping (the one at the top)

-now undo the two Allen bolts at the front of the tank and the two hex bolts at the back of the tank and take it off...I just rested it on the bike to stop me having to disconnect everything.

-now take the zx10 shock and mark how much needs to be cut off and where...it was from the left hand side for me...you will see what i mean when you come to do it.

-now fit the zx10 shock and bolt up the linkage etc

-then put the tank back on...check the hinge doesn't foul the shock reservoir. Tighten up the bolts.

-put in a foam block under the battery to stop it resting on the shock reservoir. refit the battery...I had to get rid of the plastic shelf normally on top of the battery area to allow it to fit...don't so what I did and reattach the battery the wrong way (positive on negative and vice versa....3 blown fuses and allot of irritation that caused...)

-tighten everything and make sure everything so far is back on properly.
-set the rebound damping to middle on the shock and tinker with it as you ride to find what you like.

-depending on your weight set the compression damping. I'm 11.5 stone kitted up so backed it pretty much fully off as the spring is slightly to strong for my weight anyway.

-now put the back wheel on and chain etc. set the chain slack.

-now to set the sag...mine as it came was pretty much ok so yours might be.

-remove any load at all from the back suspension...measure from the axle to a static point above it...say the foot peg hanger. Note it down.

-now take the bike and let it down and stand it up as it would be if it were standing without the side stand...employ a friend or brother...if your like me...measure the same, axle to the static point...it should be less...

Now sit on the bike and measure the same again...

-these are your static and active sag measurements...look here for what you want etc and adjust preload etc accordingly..http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=61655.0

Now put everything back on and your ready to go. Now all you need to do is get the front sorted if it's not already...

Stuff you need:
Allen key set,
Good wrench set
Foam block
Zx10 shock
Extra bolt.
A friend
A ruler/tape measure
Pen and paper
A Dremmel or good hacksaw and patience
Abba stand or similar.

As for the triple clamps from a later GSXR, yes it will fit but the steering lock is out of position as are the lock stops! Must of the mods that use this triple clamp are for track bikes. You can use the SRAD yokes and everything else with the '00-'03 forks and calipers spaced out is an option.

Last edited by Dangerous Dave; 26-05-08 at 01:01 PM.
Old 26-05-08, 01:00 PM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Can you use the top bolt from the ZX-R shocks as the bottom bolt on the SV?
Old 26-05-08, 01:02 PM   #9
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Can you use the top bolt from the ZX-R shocks as the bottom bolt on the SV?
I have no idea, I have Ohlins in the 750 as it is a far better shock than any modded one would be! Plus you'll have to send it away to be set up properly to make it a worth while mod!
Old 26-05-08, 01:05 PM   #10
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Yeah yeah.... show off your trick stuff .... picking on us poor students ...